maintenance advice

sb

Someone asked me to troubleshoot some problems they are
having with a couple of computers.

OS is Win 95. The computers are used almost exclusively
for various children's games. The problem is that they
often lock up and display strange error messages about not
being able to find files.

I'm a developer and have little experience with this type
of troubleshooting, much less with Win95. My first plan
of action is simply to run RegClean, ScanDisk, and then
defrag them.

Are there any other tasks I should also perform?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Scott, here's a "house cleaning" and general "computer health" protocol - 10
steps and a few extra points:
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

If you need to do other troubleshooting of Windows itself, here are generic
steps that usually prove fruitful:
http://aumha.org/a/tshoot.htm

I suspect this is all you'll need to get rolling - as a developer, you have
the kind of mind that can run with this sort of thing once you have a
pointer, I suspect - but if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to
post back. It usually helps to have the complete verbatim text of the error
messages, btw.

--
Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows http://aumha.org/
AumHa Forums: http://forum.aumha.org/