ms-dos?

Whenever I try to click on Ms-dos prompt, I get an error
message stating "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
How do I find what device is causing the problem, or is there an adjustment
somewhere that I can make to enable Ms-dos prompt.

fcc0610 <fcc0610@cs.com> wrote in message news:eCBCBgwMEHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Whenever I try to click on Ms-dos prompt, I get an error
> message stating "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
> How do I find what device is causing the problem, or is there an adjustment
> somewhere that I can make to enable Ms-dos prompt.

I don't know what you mean by 'click on Ms-dos prompt', as the interface
to the Ms-dos prompt is the keyboard, not the mouse.
Create a desktop shortcut for 'command' which you can click on at any time
to access the Ms-dos prompt, using the keyboard. You can exit the Ms-dos
window by either typing: exit <enter> or my using the mouse, as you would
terminate any window.

If you have a non functioning device, go into My Computer -> Properties ->
Device Manager and see if any of the devices therein has a red slash
against it. Or alternatively, select each device in turn, click Properties
and you should see "The device is working properly"

"fcc0610" wrote

> Whenever I try to click on Ms-dos prompt, I get an error
> message stating "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
> How do I find what device is causing the problem, or is there an adjustment
> somewhere that I can make to enable Ms-dos prompt.

Err Msg: A Device Attached to the System Is Not Functioning
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139434

Thanks.
There were no conflicts and also read the kb article. It mentions something
about a damaged winoa386.mod file and to extract a new winoa386 in it's
place.
I don't have windows 95 installation cd, and I'm not to sure how to extract
a file. If I'm not mistaken it should be in one of the .cab files, but which
one and how do I extract it.
It seems that all the files in the command folder (extract.exe,
scandisk.exe, mem.exe, etc, etc,) give me the same message described
above,"A device attached to the system is not functioning".

fcc0610 <fcc0610@cs.com> wrote in message news:#nEm1u6MEHA.2844@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks.
> There were no conflicts and also read the kb article. It mentions something
> about a damaged winoa386.mod file and to extract a new winoa386 in it's
> place.
> I don't have windows 95 installation cd, and I'm not to sure how to extract
> a file. If I'm not mistaken it should be in one of the .cab files, but which
> one and how do I extract it.
> It seems that all the files in the command folder (extract.exe,
> scandisk.exe, mem.exe, etc, etc,) give me the same message described
> above,"A device attached to the system is not functioning".

There is a file "winoa386.new" 61,680 bytes in win95_03.cab
If you can get hold of the CD, we can tell you how to extract the file.

I found a file with the same name(winoa386.mod) in the options>usb folder. I
renamed the one that was in the system folder and tranferred the found one
in the usb to the system folder.
The only thing is that I can't run dos commands when online and/or in
windows. Is there a way of running dos apps. in windows or online.
"Alan Illeman" <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote in message

> fcc0610 <fcc0610@cs.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> > There were no conflicts and also read the kb article. It mentions
something
> > about a damaged winoa386.mod file and to extract a new winoa386 in it's
> > place.
> > I don't have windows 95 installation cd, and I'm not to sure how to
extract
> > a file. If I'm not mistaken it should be in one of the .cab files, but
which
> > one and how do I extract it.
> > It seems that all the files in the command folder (extract.exe,
> > scandisk.exe, mem.exe, etc, etc,) give me the same message described
> > above,"A device attached to the system is not functioning".
>
> There is a file "winoa386.new" 61,680 bytes in win95_03.cab
> If you can get hold of the CD, we can tell you how to extract the file.

Double click on the MD DOS prompt, C:Windows\Dosprmpt.pif.

fcc0610 wrote:

> I found a file with the same name(winoa386.mod) in the options>usb folder. I
> renamed the one that was in the system folder and tranferred the found one
> in the usb to the system folder.
> The only thing is that I can't run dos commands when online and/or in
> windows. Is there a way of running dos apps. in windows or online.
> "Alan Illeman" <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> >
> > fcc0610 <fcc0610@cs.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks.
> > > There were no conflicts and also read the kb article. It mentions
> something
> > > about a damaged winoa386.mod file and to extract a new winoa386 in it's
> > > place.
> > > I don't have windows 95 installation cd, and I'm not to sure how to
> extract
> > > a file. If I'm not mistaken it should be in one of the .cab files, but
> which
> > > one and how do I extract it.
> > > It seems that all the files in the command folder (extract.exe,
> > > scandisk.exe, mem.exe, etc, etc,) give me the same message described
> > > above,"A device attached to the system is not functioning".
> >
> > There is a file "winoa386.new" 61,680 bytes in win95_03.cab
> > If you can get hold of the CD, we can tell you how to extract the file.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 12:02:59 GMT, "MasterBlaster"
>"fcc0610" wrote

>> Whenever I try to click on Ms-dos prompt, I get an error
>> message stating "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
>> How do I find what device is causing the problem, or is there an adjustment
>> somewhere that I can make to enable Ms-dos prompt.

>Err Msg: A Device Attached to the System Is Not Functioning
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139434

That sure looks the right "shape" for an uncommon problem I've seen,
where the Winoa386.mod is concerned - thanks!

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.