k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
With AMD introducing a new mobo platform I was wondering whether or not I should switch over to the new platform when making my build, or, should I move in and snatch 939 stuff that will undoubtebly drop in price.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
At first AM2 may not be much better than 939, but 65nm chips will be out latter. AM2 will be a more upgradable choice.

The second half of this year will be a good show with Intels new chips and AM2. If you have time, wait, and see what happens.

pat

Expert
Yup, you'll wait for AM2 and when it'll be there, AM2 65nm will be announced and you'll wonder if you should not wait for that too. then you'll get hit by a car and you'll never get a computer.

you need one now, buy it now. period.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
then you'll get hit by a car and you'll never get a computer.
ROFL. Sums it up quite nicely.

As Pat was saying, the computer industry moves so quickly that there's always something new and shiny just around the corner. Buy when you need to, and buy what gives the best performance for your needs and budget...

myatitus

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Its going to be tuff to tell what to go with the DDR latency times are much lower than the current DDR2 so it may have a faster Mhz but the latency is going to still slow it down. if they don't get that corrected then it may not show much of a proformance gain. I personally am looking at building a new system , I am going to wait and see what DDR2 models come out and I'm sure that THG is going to do a review of the 939 and the M2 I will take there review into serious consideration when they do. If you need a system now i say don't wait you can get an incredible 939 that won't need to be upgraded for years to come but i will wait till M2 comes out to look into that