Upgrade Win95a to win95b?

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How can I upgrade the win95a running on my old pc to
win95b or later, please?
Have just bought a brand new pc which came
with 'TransferMyPC' software designed to make it easy
moving files from my old pc to my new pc. However, the
software only works with win95b or later!!

Upgrading is notofficially supported (and a format and reinstall of the
correct version is prefered in many cases anyhow), but you can find
procedures that will allow you to do this. I think there is a set somewhere
on bootdisk.com

"Roger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I upgrade the win95a running on my old pc to
> win95b or later, please?
> Have just bought a brand new pc which came
> with 'TransferMyPC' software designed to make it easy
> moving files from my old pc to my new pc. However, the
> software only works with win95b or later!!

"Roger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I upgrade the win95a running on my old pc to
>win95b or later, please?
>Have just bought a brand new pc which came
>with 'TransferMyPC' software designed to make it easy
>moving files from my old pc to my new pc. However, the
>software only works with win95b or later!!

You can't. Win95b (OEM SR2) was released only as an OEM system, in a
form that would install only on a clean disk. There was never a
version that would upgrade an existing system.

So you have to choose between returning the software you bought, or
upgrading to Win98SE. To do that you'd need to buy a CD. Look for a
Win98SSE full retail CD or a Win98SE Upgrade disk. Avoid OEM disks,
since they won't upgrade an existing system.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)