White Gunk Forming in Coolant

Hooche

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Hello,
I am current running an Evercool WC-202 water cooling kit with a cpu and vga waterblock in my computer. I am using Thermaltake CL-W0044 Bigwater UV Sensitive Coolant in it. My problem is that a white participate is forming inside my tubing, and potentially inside my waterblocks. I first noticed this problem when i drained my system to add a flow indicator. After completley draining the system and adding the indicator I refilled it with a new lot of coolant straight from the bottle. I emptied the old coolant into a waterbottle and noticed that there was some white gunk inside it. after restarting my system I immediatley noticed that the flow indicator was being blocked by white gunk. After about 2 weeks I can now see the white gunk inside my resevoir, the indicator unblocked itself but the white gunk is starting to block it again. I will soon be draining my system to add a chipset block so any advice on how to stop this from happening is greatley appreciated.
Thanks again,

P.S. The coolant inside the water bottle (that I initially drained) has quite a lot of the whte participate in it. The little coolant I have left in the inital bottle has no participate at all.

Hooche

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Thanks a bunch, is there any possible way to do it without soaking the waterblocks? I would like to preserve my thermal paste if possible.

Hooche

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I ddnt mean reuse the thermal paste i meant preserve it, as in not having to disconnect my waterblocks. I think im going to just run vinigar through the system for about 30-60 mins then then flush out with distilled water instead of soaking.

john_thor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Hello,
I am current running an Evercool WC-202 water cooling kit with a cpu and vga waterblock in my computer. I am using Thermaltake CL-W0044 Bigwater UV Sensitive Coolant in it. My problem is that a white participate is forming inside my tubing, and potentially inside my waterblocks. I first noticed this problem when i drained my system to add a flow indicator. After completley draining the system and adding the indicator I refilled it with a new lot of coolant straight from the bottle. I emptied the old coolant into a waterbottle and noticed that there was some white gunk inside it. after restarting my system I immediatley noticed that the flow indicator was being blocked by white gunk. After about 2 weeks I can now see the white gunk inside my resevoir, the indicator unblocked itself but the white gunk is starting to block it again. I will soon be draining my system to add a chipset block so any advice on how to stop this from happening is greatley appreciated.
Thanks again,

P.S. The coolant inside the water bottle (that I initially drained) has quite a lot of the whte participate in it. The little coolant I have left in the inital bottle has no participate at all.

The precipitate is effectively limescale. It's due to an electrolytic reactive between the deifferent metals in contact with the water. Most likely Alu in the pump, and copper on the blocks. Mine got really bad so I have scrub the blocks, and change the pump and pipes. To prevent the build up, use a corrosion inhibitor like red line water wetter. You should replace the water and inhibitor in your system as soon as you get build up or every six months, whichever is the sooner.

Hooche

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Ah thanks! I run my system therough with vinigar, flushed it out a few times with distilled water and then added the red stuff that came with the system ( i thought it wouldnt be neeeded if i used the coolant i bought) and then filled to the top with distilled water. No participate yet. I'm sure gonna miss the UV-sensitivness tho...

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
If the so called precipitate is limedeposits then you may heve used regular water. using distilled water solves this problem. however the precipitate may also be some othe type of ion that is depositing when your water system acts like an electrolytic cell due to the difference in metals invoved in the setup (example-copper and Aluminium)

Hooche

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Thanks so much for the help guys, considering it took less than 24 hours for a considerable amount of precipitate to form with the Thermalike coolant, and that after 3 days no precipitate has formed in the distilled water + corrosion inhibitor, it looks like we have a positive result! Also i ordered some UV dye so my system will once again glow!

Thanks so much again.