  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 7, 2004 10:56:04 PM

We recently received a computer with Windows 95 installed. There is a password protection when the computer comes up. When we hit Esc. or Cancel, Windows comes up like it should but the only thing we can access and use are the games. We cannot use any of the software, such as Word, etc. We cannot copy files. Basically the computer cannot be used without the password. We also started the machine in safe mode, with the same results. How can we remove the password protection, change it or locate it?

More about : lost password

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 10:58:11 AM

You can clear the password and create a new one, this way:
Start the computer.
If the log-on box comes up to type in a user name and password, click Cancel.
Click Start> Find> Files or Folders, choose the C: drive in the Look In box, and in
the Named box, type: *.pwl
Click Find Now.

In the list of found files, right-click each file, and then click Delete. Repeat
step 3 until all of the .pwl files are deleted.
On the File menu, click Close.
Restart the computer.

Log in as what ever name you want to create, leave the password box blank, and click
OK...NOT Cancel.
If it asks to confirm the password, leave it blank again and click OK.

To find any desktop items or Start Menu items that you may not have, open Windows
explorer, expand the C:\Windows\Profiles folder tree, and drag needed items from the
Start Menu and desktop subfolders for the profiles(s), to the C:\Windows\Start Menu
folder tree, and the C:\Windows\Desktop folder.

Also read here:

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:

No Windows or Network Logon Dialog Box at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=141858
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"carol" <info973@cox.net> wrote in message
> We recently received a computer with Windows 95 installed. There is a password
protection when the computer comes up. When we hit Esc. or Cancel, Windows comes up
like it should but the only thing we can access and use are the games. We cannot
use any of the software, such as Word, etc. We cannot copy files. Basically the
computer cannot be used without the password. We also started the machine in safe
mode, with the same results. How can we remove the password protection, change it
or locate it?
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 10:58:19 AM

Windows does not include a form of password protection that could
prevent anyone from using applications. Some computers have password
protection at boot-up that can block use of the hardware, but these
passwords would not allow one to play games or do anything else. It is
possible to install third-party password products that can block usage
of some items: obviously, if this computer has such a password
application on it, you need to talk with the company that made this
product.

Have you tried running applications other than games by clicking on
their .exe files?

Can you run applications after you start Windows in Safe Mode?

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
!