System recovery without disc

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 8, 2004 11:40:15 AM

Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
some success in the past bringing my system back from a
full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
can't find the original info to do again. I remember
either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
deeply appreciated.

More about : system recovery disc

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 4:51:37 PM

You may not be able to recover without a disk. Depends on the problems.

Ebay would be the best bet for getting a disk

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
> some success in the past bringing my system back from a
> full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
> can't find the original info to do again. I remember
> either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
> nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
> recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
> how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
> deeply appreciated.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 11:55:40 PM

"Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
>some success in the past bringing my system back from a
>full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
>can't find the original info to do again. I remember
>either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
>nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
>recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
>how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
>deeply appreciated.

To start the computer in Safe Mode turn it on and press the F8 key at
the "Starting Windows 95....." message.

That will bring up the Windows Startup Menu. Choose Safe Mode from
the menu.

Exactly what sort of recovery are you trying to do? The term "system
recovery disk" usually refers to the disks provided by cheapskate OEMs
who try to force users to wipe out their hard drives and reinstall
everything just as it was when it leff the factory. They do this so
as to avoid having to provide any sort of problem-solving technical
support to their customers.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

May 18, 2004 12:49:08 AM

***MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SETUP FILES IN THE C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ DIRECTORY
BEFORE CONTINUING***

You first have to create a boot disk. Then find a way to delete your whole
registry, try regedit, though I am not sure it would work, as I have never
tried to delete the registry before (because the registry is the only reason
that you would need to do that), then use your boot disk to get to command
prompt. Use the following commands to start Windows 95 Setup (You will not
lose any documents, although you may have to reinstall some programs):

C:
cd windows
cd options
cd cabs
setup.exe

If you cannot delete the registry, then unless you have a CD Burner or
something (assuming you have files in the CABS directory), then you are out
of luck unless you try the other suggestions.

"Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
> some success in the past bringing my system back from a
> full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
> can't find the original info to do again. I remember
> either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
> nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
> recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
> how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
> deeply appreciated.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 9:59:46 PM

Then update your fresh install.

If you have the first Windows 95 version the on-pack is a good choice.
See http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/33

If you have the second edition of Windows 95 you can use the Windows
95b Opti-Pack.

Trust me, it's awesome! And it comes complete with a auto launcher
and an installer for every program and update, even MSCONFIG.

You can pick this baby up at:
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/45

It contains all the following: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, DirectX
8.0a, Windows media player 7.1, Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5, Bayden
PopupPopper 1.1, Avast! AntiVirus Home Edition, Avast! Virus
Cleaner-virus & worm removal tool, WinPatrol 7.0.0.3, Ad-aware 6.0,
msconfig.exe, PowerToys, Windows 95 Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade,
Windows Library Update, Windows 95 Y2K Update, Windows 95 OEM SR2
Update, Windows 95 Update for AMD-K6®-2/350, Windows 95 Backup Update

If you are not sure which version of Windows 95 you have, you can find
out simply by checking your System Properties. To do this, right mouse
click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". An OEM SR2 system will
show a designator, such as "4.00.9500 B" as the version. The number
may vary slightly, but the letter designator will be a "B" for the
OSR2 version.

!