System recovery without disc

Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
some success in the past bringing my system back from a
full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
can't find the original info to do again. I remember
either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
deeply appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about system recovery disc

    You may not be able to recover without a disk. Depends on the problems.

    Ebay would be the best bet for getting a disk

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
    > some success in the past bringing my system back from a
    > full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
    > can't find the original info to do again. I remember
    > either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
    > nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
    > recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
    > how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
    > deeply appreciated.

    "Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
    >some success in the past bringing my system back from a
    >full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
    >can't find the original info to do again. I remember
    >either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
    >nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
    >recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
    >how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
    >deeply appreciated.

    To start the computer in Safe Mode turn it on and press the F8 key at
    the "Starting Windows 95....." message.

    That will bring up the Windows Startup Menu. Choose Safe Mode from
    the menu.

    Exactly what sort of recovery are you trying to do? The term "system
    recovery disk" usually refers to the disks provided by cheapskate OEMs
    who try to force users to wipe out their hard drives and reinstall
    everything just as it was when it leff the factory. They do this so
    as to avoid having to provide any sort of problem-solving technical
    support to their customers.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    ***MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SETUP FILES IN THE C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ DIRECTORY
    BEFORE CONTINUING***

    You first have to create a boot disk. Then find a way to delete your whole
    registry, try regedit, though I am not sure it would work, as I have never
    tried to delete the registry before (because the registry is the only reason
    that you would need to do that), then use your boot disk to get to command
    prompt. Use the following commands to start Windows 95 Setup (You will not
    lose any documents, although you may have to reinstall some programs):

    C:
    cd windows
    cd options
    cd cabs
    setup.exe

    If you cannot delete the registry, then unless you have a CD Burner or
    something (assuming you have files in the CABS directory), then you are out
    of luck unless you try the other suggestions.

    "Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
    > some success in the past bringing my system back from a
    > full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
    > can't find the original info to do again. I remember
    > either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
    > nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
    > recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
    > how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
    > deeply appreciated.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Then update your fresh install.

    If you have the first Windows 95 version the on-pack is a good choice.
    See http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/33

    If you have the second edition of Windows 95 you can use the Windows
    95b Opti-Pack.

    Trust me, it's awesome! And it comes complete with a auto launcher
    and an installer for every program and update, even MSCONFIG.

    You can pick this baby up at:
    http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/45

    It contains all the following: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, DirectX
    8.0a, Windows media player 7.1, Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5, Bayden
    PopupPopper 1.1, Avast! AntiVirus Home Edition, Avast! Virus
    Cleaner-virus & worm removal tool, WinPatrol 7.0.0.3, Ad-aware 6.0,
    msconfig.exe, PowerToys, Windows 95 Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade,
    Windows Library Update, Windows 95 Y2K Update, Windows 95 OEM SR2
    Update, Windows 95 Update for AMD-K6®-2/350, Windows 95 Backup Update

    If you are not sure which version of Windows 95 you have, you can find
    out simply by checking your System Properties. To do this, right mouse
    click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". An OEM SR2 system will
    show a designator, such as "4.00.9500 B" as the version. The number
    may vary slightly, but the letter designator will be a "B" for the
    OSR2 version.

    "Jonathan" <jong70@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<uz9g1HHPEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > ***MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SETUP FILES IN THE C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ DIRECTORY
    > BEFORE CONTINUING***
    >
    > You first have to create a boot disk. Then find a way to delete your whole
    > registry, try regedit, though I am not sure it would work, as I have never
    > tried to delete the registry before (because the registry is the only reason
    > that you would need to do that), then use your boot disk to get to command
    > prompt. Use the following commands to start Windows 95 Setup (You will not
    > lose any documents, although you may have to reinstall some programs):
    >
    > C:
    > cd windows
    > cd options
    > cd cabs
    > setup.exe

    > If you cannot delete the registry, then unless you have a CD Burner or
    > something (assuming you have files in the CABS directory), then you are out
    > of luck unless you try the other suggestions.
    >
    > "Tera" <teraharris@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to do a recovery without a disc? I had
    > > some success in the past bringing my system back from a
    > > full crash by using info on microsoft support, but now I
    > > can't find the original info to do again. I remember
    > > either beginning in safemode or F8 and can't recall
    > > nothing further. If anyone knows where to buy older
    > > recovery CD's that would be great! But if anyone knows
    > > how to recover without the disc in the mean time would be
    > > deeply appreciated.

Data Recovery Microsoft System Recovery Windows