Sign in with
Your question

PC freezes, mouse and keyboard don't respond

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2011 4:58:33 PM

Hi guys, lately my PC acts really strange. It freezes, and sometimes when I wake it from sleep mode, the monitor light just blinks on and off but the monitor itself does not come on. I look at my mouse and keyboard, which are illuminated and notice there is no light meaning they are not detected by my tower. I try many ports and still no response. I reboot my PC a few times, then it works. I have never ever had this kind of issue before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here are my specs:

X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s

G.SKILL F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI Pi Series 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL6-8-6-24

Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2011 6:25:10 PM

Verify your power settings in the control panel.

Check the event viewer for errors.

Try disabling the hibernation feature.

Check your BIOS version.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 12:03:43 AM

I installed the stupid driver and it is still freezing. I notice it happens when I play video such as windows media player or VLC.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 10, 2011 12:52:45 AM

Still getting the same errors in the event viewer?
m
l
April 11, 2011 5:15:59 AM

No don't get any errors this time and right now I woke my PC from sleep and FROZE. I couldn't log into windows. So I did a hard reset.

At this point I am thinking of doing an OS re-install BUT I am so far in Crysis 2. I would have to play it again from beginning :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2011 12:14:08 PM

Here are some steps to try. You can try them one at a time to see if you can pin it down.

Insert the OS disc-->start-->run-->type sfc /scannow.

Check for updated drivers.

Remove the side of the tower, to reduce heat buildup.

Look for a BIOS update.
m
l
April 29, 2011 4:53:47 PM

I'm seeing the same problem on my Gigabyte computes.

I've got 12 PC running various flavors of Windows and strangly enought, only the two with Gigabyte motherboards are freezing.

On one computer, I'm running Windows Ultimate 32-bit with dual boot to 64-bit. Both O/S'es freeze randomly. On the other Gigabyte computer I'm running dual boot with Windows Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

Oddly, these freezes just recently started happening. Around the November, December time frame. They happen in all versions of the O/S's mentioned above. This leads me to believe that Microsoft has introduced an update that is incompatible with my Gigabyte MBs.

I've disabled the power options so that the computer uses maximum power all the time and that seems to lessen the freezes that occur when idle. However, sometimes while actively browing the internet the mouse will freeze and within a few seconds the computer is totally unresponsive.
m
l
April 30, 2011 5:07:27 AM

Ok so I go to Gygabyte's site to get a BIOS update but there are different revisions like 2.1, 3.0 and so on. How do I know which revision of the motherboard I have?

This is my mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2011 5:34:51 AM

You can pop the side of the tower off, and look at the motherboard.
m
l
May 30, 2011 6:57:59 PM

OK I found it. I re-installed a fresh copy of Vista. Same sh*t is happening. How safe is BIOS update? I have never done it before. If this does not work, I am going to call Gigabyte and give them some verbal abuse >:( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2011 7:56:59 PM

A BIOS update is pretty safe. You just don't want to lose power, or have any interruption during the update.
m
l
June 1, 2011 5:27:55 PM

Ok so I update my BIOS and it still freezes. I did hard reset and it would freeze at the main page showing my motherboard specs. POwered off the system and turned it on and again, it will not go past the initial screen. Eventually after several resets, it worked. Is there a software I can use to test my mobo like memtest?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2011 6:58:33 PM

Have you checked the event viewer for errors? The pics you linked when I asked before, aren't from the event viewer. Your system may be logging errors.

No, I'm not aware of any software that will test the motherboard.

You can try running in safe mode for a while, and see if you get the same issues there. If not, it would likely point to a driver issue.
m
l
June 1, 2011 7:18:28 PM

This is what I find in event viewer. Please guide me what to look for here because the instructions from the website I found does not help :( 

Here is the pic:

http://imageshack.us/f/31/pcfreeze.jpg/
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2011 7:51:01 PM

Look at the Application logs, and the System logs. You want to look for red X's. I can see a couple in your picture, but they are covered by another window. You want to remember the time when it froze, and match that up with the time of the errors in the event viewer.

Once you find the error that was generated at the time of the freeze, look at the Event ID, source, and the description.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:42:58 PM

The red X's are from a website that tells you what to do. That is not my window. My window in the one on the foreground. Here is a more clear picture. I don't see any red Xs

http://imageshack.us/f/585/21145864.jpg/
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2011 10:11:27 PM

Expand the "Windows Logs." The "Application" and "System" logs will be in there.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2011 12:17:28 PM

Are there any errors in the "System" section?

The particular error you've selected in that image above, is pointing to the game Witcher 2. You may need to uninstall the game. However, you should check the "System" section to see if that error is a symptom of a bigger issue.
m
l
June 12, 2011 4:40:01 AM

kevinbw said:
I'm seeing the same problem on my Gigabyte computes.

I've got 12 PC running various flavors of Windows and strangly enought, only the two with Gigabyte motherboards are freezing.

On one computer, I'm running Windows Ultimate 32-bit with dual boot to 64-bit. Both O/S'es freeze randomly. On the other Gigabyte computer I'm running dual boot with Windows Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

Oddly, these freezes just recently started happening. Around the November, December time frame. They happen in all versions of the O/S's mentioned above. This leads me to believe that Microsoft has introduced an update that is incompatible with my Gigabyte MBs.

I've disabled the power options so that the computer uses maximum power all the time and that seems to lessen the freezes that occur when idle. However, sometimes while actively browing the internet the mouse will freeze and within a few seconds the computer is totally unresponsive.

Ok I think it is my motherboard. I will not buy anything from Gigabyte anymore!!!!!!. While browsing, my internet disconnected. I look at the bottom right hand corner next to the 2 computers and see there is an X. I go to device manager and look in Network Adapters and notice that "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" has an exclamation mark. So, I put in my Gigabyte CD in and repair "Realtek 8111/8168 LAN driver" and finally I get my internet back.

Is there a way to get my mobo replaced?
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:23:25 AM

sammytheman said:
Hi guys, lately my PC acts really strange. It freezes, and sometimes when I wake it from sleep mode, the monitor light just blinks on and off but the monitor itself does not come on. I look at my mouse and keyboard, which are illuminated and notice there is no light meaning they are not detected by my tower. I try many ports and still no response. I reboot my PC a few times, then it works. I have never ever had this kind of issue before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here are my specs:

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS

I have been going thru this problem on and off for a year. I would be doing work and suddenly the PC would not respond to either the keyboard or mouse. I would just simply reboot the machine. This week, rebooting didn't work. The solution was to use another keyboard. Good luck.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:32:40 PM

It's better to reformat your personal computer.
m
l
April 25, 2013 10:12:07 AM

1. What is your hard drive(s) make and model? I had similar issues that the WD Green drives were causing issues. Replaced and the problem went away. Especially coming back from hibernation or monitors being off overnight and turning on in the morning causing a lockup.
2. Can you run HWINFO and do a sensor monitor. Check CPU temp and Chipset temp. Usually the chipset temp should be higher than CPU temp. Other machines that had problems the CPU temp was 15-20 degrees higher than Chipset. If you have a Gigabyte Motherboard, try going into BIOS and Disable CPU Smart Fan under System Health. This kicks the fan to 100% Monitor for a few days. If it works then replace fan and thermal paste
3. Antivirus. Disable automatic update of anti-virus and schedule it to a specific time of day. Determine if lockup happens at that time. AV updates seem to take up heavy resources.

Please report back as Im curious to see what you find

sammytheman said:

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS

m
l
May 21, 2013 11:51:56 AM

I had a similar situation, whereas my ps/2 mouse and keyboard would freeze after some time . This was the morning after a fresh install of win7 64 ultimate. I went and uninstalled tablet pc components. seems to work fine so far 2 hours in anyways and I've been on youtube and facebook. go to control panel/add remove programs/turn off windows features, hope it helps.
m
l
June 26, 2013 10:12:48 AM

Hi All - It might be a power saving issue I've seen in lots of windows operating systems with ACPI mobos.
Try switching off Power Management for ALL the USB Root Hubs in the Device Manager i.e. In Device Manager>USB root hub properties>Power management> untick the box that "allows the computer to turn off this device to save power"
If your system keeps resetting in Windows 7 this option see this workaround:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

I've found that windows has a habit of switching off USB ports to save power whether you're using the USB ports or not. This freezes the keyboard/ mouse/ system and causes much frustration!
m
l
June 28, 2013 11:34:48 PM

I have the same problem and regular freezes too. But I aslo have an additional problem. USB Mouse and USB wifi won't work on first boot have to restart pc. I've tried updating all the drivers and bios. Problem not solved. Happen on both windows 7 and windows 8. Could it be problem with hardware? mainboard or cpu? i've replaced mainboard once already, still occurs.
m
l
April 24, 2014 10:22:54 AM

Hey Sammy, i know this thread is a bit old but i don't see a fix that you have found yet. I ran across your post looking for issues i am having with my GA-890FXA-UD5 but mine are bios related "probably from overclocking" Anyway if you look in your motherboard book on page -11- "in mine" under memory it states "Support for DDR3 1866 (O.C.)/1333/1066. I don't know why there is a setting in the bios to allow 1600 when the board wont support it lol IE under memory clock in bios is has these settings, (x3.33, x6.66, x8.88 or auto for mine). I have memory that default clocks at 1600 ( G.skill) This was causing numerous BSOD/ freezes and restarts with a number of different Error codes. try clocking your memory down to 1333 or up to 1866 if it supports it. i would bet that is your issue as i had the exact same issue with that main board. Mines is REV: 2.1 btw. Hope that helps if you never fixed the issue.
m
l
April 28, 2014 8:36:21 AM

sammytheman said:

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS

Your Mouse' Optical Eye has a hair or piece of fuzz on it. Use canned air and blow it out.
m
l
June 14, 2014 8:53:39 AM

Has anyone looked at the power supply? they have 2 sides and maybe one side is not putting out what it needs. i have been having mouse and keyboard that freezes up reboot never seem to fix it then i pull the power cord and put it back and it will run fine til the next time, win 7 64bit emachine.
m
l
!