Impinging vs. Cross - flows

hobbes1526

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Just thought this was a little tidbit of info some of you could find useful.... I not so recently sat in a seminar at school and a well published thermo guy said that, while impinging fluid flows work very well for very localized (small spot) heat transfer, you need a high velocity to provide effective cooling... what this means is that if you're concerned with moving heat away from your source efficently *for old style heat sinks*, you need to have your fan blow across the heat sink and not down on it. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
He is correct.

Lightbody is correct as well.

I've ghetto-engineered my ATX system to do just that and have noticed a drop in temprature in the same ambient surroundings using the same CPU load cycle.

"Stealth" class fans are fun! Can use bunches of them to make air channels and ducts with neglible effect on sound.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
impingent fluids is basically accelerating them at a high velocity then stopping and creating lots of turbulence... for example the swiftech storm blocks... i don't know what your talking about.

a reason for pointing the fan down is due to the fact that the current spreads over the mobo and helps cool the mobo down