Messed up

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Since uploading an update at a MS sight I have problems. Don't remember
what it was. I cant't print anything in Outlook express and after I boot
up I get this message
IEHOST
Runtime error 91
Object variable or with block variable not set

OK
I cannot drag anything onto E-Mail
Is there anything I can do to correct this mess?
THANKS

---

This is a Windows 95 group...are you using Windows 95?
What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message
> Since uploading an update at a MS sight I have problems. Don't remember
> what it was. I cant't print anything in Outlook express and after I boot
> up I get this message
> IEHOST
> Runtime error 91
> Object variable or with block variable not set
>
> OK
> I cannot drag anything onto E-Mail
> Is there anything I can do to correct this mess?
> THANKS
>

> ---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Have Win 95 Explorer 5

---

Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, click to enable "Show All Files"
and click OK.

Click Start> Find> File or Folders, and search the C:\ drive for files named iehost

Do you find an iehost.dll, or an iehost.exe?
--

> Have Win 95 Explorer 5
>

> ---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Found ie host in win c:\windows\sys 156kb modified 4/20/04

No exe or dll

---

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer.
Click the View menu (or possibly Tools)> Options (or Folder Options)> View tab.
Make sure that "Show All Files" is selected.
Remove the check from the box for "Hide MS-DOS file extensions...."
Click OK.

Now, is it iehost.dll or iehost.exe?

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a reply to this post.

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm
--

> Found ie host in win c:\windows\sys 156kb modified 4/20/04
>
> No exe or dll
>

> ---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

I now have ihost.exe with the same kb and date as before.
Thanks. Do you think that will fix it? Is that the way it should always be
set?

---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

When I turned it on this morn I get the error.

NATIVE AUDIO INITIALIZATIO ERROR
The wave taskmanager (nspmm.dll) is not available
Wave services will be disabled/

OK
It then goes ahead. Could be part of my problem.

---

Err Msg: The Wave Task Manager (NSPMM.DLL) Is Not Available:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199097 :

This behavior can be caused by the existence of the Intel Virtual Audio Device (which was installed as part of The Intel Video Phone product).

To resolve this issue, remove or reinstall the Intel Video Phone software, or disable the device.
To Remove the Software
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click Intel Video Phone, and then click Remove.
After the software is removed, restart the computer.
To Disable the Intel Virtual Audio Device
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System.
Click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click the Sound, Video, And Game Controllers branch to expand it.
Double-click Intel Virtual Audio Device.
On the General tab, click to select the "Disable in this hardware profile" check box.
Click OK.
Close the System Properties dialog box and then restart the computer.

The Intel Video Phone software may be preinstalled on some IBM ThinkPad laptop and some Compaq laptop computers.

--

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message news:uAcDj43NEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I turned it on this morn I get the error.
>
> NATIVE AUDIO INITIALIZATIO ERROR
> The wave taskmanager (nspmm.dll) is not available
> Wave services will be disabled/
>
> OK
> It then goes ahead. Could be part of my problem.
>

> ---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

THANK'S Glee
I have no more error at startup and I can drag file;s into E-Mail so far it
looks like you have it all working. I have never used the tele or fax so
that don't bother me. I am 84 and was afraid I was going to have to use my
Compaq restore disk which is always a pain. I really apreciate how you
stuck with me.
I have been helped by you people several times before and hope you all keep
up the good work for old farts like me. Can't afford a new one.
THANK'S AGAIN.

---

That doesn't fix anything, it just allows you to see what file type it is.
AFAIK, iehost.exe is something you need to get rid of.
Please post back with the Hijack This log, as I mentioned previously.
--

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message news:#OK3by3NEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I now have ihost.exe with the same kb and date as before.
> Thanks. Do you think that will fix it? Is that the way it should always be
> set?
>

> ---

Hey, 84 ain't an old fart....my dad will be 92 on Monday. Now THAT'S an old fart!
:)

Are you still getting an iehost error? I find no reference to an iehost.exe file,
except as possible spyware/adware or parasite.

My standard post for spyware/adware is this:

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.
(You AVG anti-virus needs updating, according to the version and database numbers in
your signature. I currently have ver. 6.0.682, database 444, dated May 11, 2004)

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

In addition, install Ad-Aware 6 free edition, start it, click its 'Check for
Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and
remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder *other than* your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums, or in a
http://forums.net-integration.net/
http://computercops.biz/forums.html
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=30
http://tomcoyote.org/forums/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com
http://boards.cexx.org/

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

Additional reading:
Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
and

> THANK'S Glee
> I have no more error at startup and I can drag file;s into E-Mail so far it
> looks like you have it all working. I have never used the tele or fax so
> that don't bother me. I am 84 and was afraid I was going to have to use my
> Compaq restore disk which is always a pain. I really apreciate how you
> stuck with me.
> I have been helped by you people several times before and hope you all keep
> up the good work for old farts like me. Can't afford a new one.
> THANK'S AGAIN.
>

> ---

Sorry to get back to you so late....long day for me, and I should be going to bed by
now :)

Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add\Remove Programs> Install/Uninstall tab.
Select all items with these names, and click the Remove button for each:
Bridge, b3d Projector, Gator, Webhancer, Web 3000, Delfin (or Delfin Media Player),
or Promulgate.

In Windows Explorer or My Computer, go to:
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder.
Look for any items named Bridge, WinFavorites, or WildApp...if found, right-click
each, and click Remove from the menu that appears.

Then, run Hijack This again, and put a check in the box to the left of these items,
and these only:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pcsv] C:\WINDOWS\system32\pcs\pcsvc.exe

O16 - DPF: {FF65677A-8977-48CA-916A-DFF81B037DF3} (WMService Class) -
http://download.overpro.com/WildApp.cab

O16 - DPF: {9C691A33-7DDA-4C2F-BE4C-C176083F35CF} -
http://www2.flingstone.com/cab/98ME/CDTInc/bridge.cab

Make sure you have only those three check-marked, and click the Fix button.

Are still having an issue with iehost.exe giving an error?

Do you have anything disabled in the Startup tab of the System Configuration Editor
(msconfig)?
Click Start> Run, type msconfig and click OK.
Click the Startup tab at top.
Are any items there un-checked, or do they all have check-marks beside them?
--

> I couldn't get Ad Aware to install. It just started the initialize then
> stopped.
> THANKS
>

> ---

Please disregard the last part (reproduced below), as msconfig is a Win98 app, and
you won't have it on your Win95 computer.

....glen

> Do you have anything disabled in the Startup tab of the System Configuration
Editor
> (msconfig)?
> Click Start> Run, type msconfig and click OK.
> Click the Startup tab at top.
> Are any items there un-checked, or do they all have check-marks beside them?

You may have gotten a bad download of Ad-Aware.
Download a fresh copy and try installing again.

When you get the illegal operation error message from Msimn, what does it say when
you click the Details button? If it is still the error you mentioned previously,
re: a printer driver, try reinstalling the printer driver and software from the disc
that came with the printer.

Have you already downloaded and run CWShredder?
--

> I had none of those in the AD REMOVE window, After doing what you said with
> HI-Jack an ad stopped coming up as soon as I went on-line.
> When I try to print anything from Outlook Express this message comes up and
> when I OK the whole Outlook express leaves an I have to bring it up again.
> Not in the tray. When I try on another program it just disapears completly.
> Whe I try to instal AD AWARE It starts and the initializing wizard comes up
> for about a second then leaves.
> Hey are you about ready to give up with this old fart.
> THANKS for your trouble.
>

> ---

I don't need the images of the messages posted, and binary files are frowned upon in these groups.
:)

The image you posted indicates that you ran CWShredder "Scan Only".
What you need to do is run CWShredder and click the "Fix" button, after first closing all programs and browser windows.
--

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message news:OGaUE9dOEHA.3264@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I DL AdAware again but get the same thing.
> I reinstalled printer and now things seem to be OK. I did get an error one
> time.
>
> HPFVLs06
> An error occured in your program. To keep working anyway click IGNORE and
> save your work in a new file. To quit this program, click CLOSE. You will
> lose information you entered since your last save.
>
> If this is the only problem I have I can live with it and it seems like
> everything else is working OK with no more pop ups or error messages. I will
> try to send Shredder.
> THANKS much
>

> ---

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Sorry about sending the attach. I will try and remember that.
I DL some of MS security bulletins so maybe that will help and I ran
Shredder again as you said and everything seems to be working so just as
well close this thread.and you saved me from doing a Compaq Restore because
it is really a lot of trouble getting things back like you want it.
I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH
Harold

---

No problem. I hope your system is working alright now, Harold.
If you need to ask anything further on the issue, you can contact me via email:
glenv @ mvps dot org