Network Neighborhood Password Help!!!!

Around 5 years ago I had my pc with win95 networked with an I-mac and
everything worked fine between the 2. Now I need to add it back in to the
network with 3 other computers which work fine between themselves. I
neglected to write down the password to let me in the network again and was
wondering if there was a way around this or how to go in the back way
somehow to find the password or change it. When I go to network
neighborhood I get the Entire network little globe. I click on that then I
see Workgroup and in here is where I see the computers. When I select one I
get the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD box where it asks me for the password and
that is where I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gabe
glucero@cox.net
4 answers Last reply
More about network neighborhood password help

    "Gabriel Lucero" <glucero@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Around 5 years ago I had my pc with win95 networked with an
    I-mac and
    > everything worked fine between the 2. Now I need to add it
    back in to the
    > network with 3 other computers which work fine between
    themselves. I
    > neglected to write down the password to let me in the network
    again and was
    > wondering if there was a way around this or how to go in the
    back way
    > somehow to find the password or change it. When I go to
    network
    > neighborhood I get the Entire network little globe. I click on
    that then I
    > see Workgroup and in here is where I see the computers. When I
    select one I
    > get the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD box where it asks me for the
    password and
    > that is where I am stuck. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Delete all the files that end in .pwl. Go to Start, Settings,
    Control Panel, Network and make sure that Microsoft Network is
    the default login (this is a drop down list). Reboot and select
    any password you desire, you will be prompted to enter it twice
    the first time you use it.

    On 5/11/04 2:57 PM, in article u12DwK6NEHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, "Kay
    Archer" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > "Gabriel Lucero" <glucero@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> Around 5 years ago I had my pc with win95 networked with an
    > I-mac and
    >> everything worked fine between the 2. Now I need to add it
    > back in to the
    >> network with 3 other computers which work fine between
    > themselves. I
    >> neglected to write down the password to let me in the network
    > again and was
    >> wondering if there was a way around this or how to go in the
    > back way
    >> somehow to find the password or change it. When I go to
    > network
    >> neighborhood I get the Entire network little globe. I click on
    > that then I
    >> see Workgroup and in here is where I see the computers. When I
    > select one I
    >> get the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD box where it asks me for the
    > password and
    >> that is where I am stuck. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >>

    > Delete all the files that end in .pwl. Go to Start, Settings,
    > Control Panel, Network and make sure that Microsoft Network is
    > the default login (this is a drop down list). Reboot and select
    > any password you desire, you will be prompted to enter it twice
    > the first time you use it.

    I anxiously tried this immediately and it did what you said so I entered a
    password twice. What I failed to mention was that initially I get that
    window which I had no problem getting through cause I use it daily. My
    problem is with a second window that comes up only when I attempt to access
    one of the other computers on the network. I even tried the passwords that
    are required for those individual computers to no avail. There were only 3
    pwl files which I deleted all 3. The one called winshare.pwl is the one for
    the startup log in window because it is the only one back in its original
    location after I did what you said. One that was called Rna.PWL was dated
    to 1998 when it was last used so I am sure that one is it because the other
    2 were dated today. But even though those pwl's are not in there I still
    get that second window like I used to before. I hope this information can
    allow you to assist me some more which by the way I am grateful for your
    immediate response.
    Thanks again, Gabe
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > I anxiously tried this immediately and it did what you said so
    I entered a
    > password twice. What I failed to mention was that initially I
    get that
    > window which I had no problem getting through cause I use it
    daily. My
    > problem is with a second window that comes up only when I
    attempt to access
    > one of the other computers on the network. I even tried the
    passwords that
    > are required for those individual computers to no avail. There
    were only 3
    > pwl files which I deleted all 3. The one called winshare.pwl
    is the one for
    > the startup log in window because it is the only one back in
    its original
    > location after I did what you said. One that was called
    Rna.PWL was dated
    > to 1998 when it was last used so I am sure that one is it
    because the other
    > 2 were dated today. But even though those pwl's are not in
    there I still
    > get that second window like I used to before. I hope this
    information can
    > allow you to assist me some more which by the way I am grateful
    for your
    > immediate response.

    What operating system is on the other three computers? Are they
    all imacs or do they use Windows 200x, Windows NT or Windows XP?
    If they do use these os, then you need to create a user account
    on the computer that you are trying to reach that has the same
    name and password as the Windows Networking has on the Windows 95
    computer.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On 5/11/04 9:32 PM, in article epKoJn9NEHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, "Kay
    Archer" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> I anxiously tried this immediately and it did what you said so
    > I entered a
    >> password twice. What I failed to mention was that initially I
    > get that
    >> window which I had no problem getting through cause I use it
    > daily. My
    >> problem is with a second window that comes up only when I
    > attempt to access
    >> one of the other computers on the network. I even tried the
    > passwords that
    >> are required for those individual computers to no avail. There
    > were only 3
    >> pwl files which I deleted all 3. The one called winshare.pwl
    > is the one for
    >> the startup log in window because it is the only one back in
    > its original
    >> location after I did what you said. One that was called
    > Rna.PWL was dated
    >> to 1998 when it was last used so I am sure that one is it
    > because the other
    >> 2 were dated today. But even though those pwl's are not in
    > there I still
    >> get that second window like I used to before. I hope this
    > information can
    >> allow you to assist me some more which by the way I am grateful
    > for your
    >> immediate response.
    >>

    > What operating system is on the other three computers? Are they
    > all imacs or do they use Windows 200x, Windows NT or Windows XP?
    > If they do use these os, then you need to create a user account
    > on the computer that you are trying to reach that has the same
    > name and password as the Windows Networking has on the Windows 95
    > computer.

    The 2 c0mputers I am attempting to connect with are both Apples. 1 is an
    iBook 600mHz,G3 Power Pc running MacOSX version 10.3.3

    The other one is the new iMac 17"flatscreen G4Power PC 1.25 GHz also running
    macOSX version 10.3.3

    The other Imac is the original 333mHzG3 I believe and running 9.1. This is
    the one I had connected to the pc via ethernet and worked fine. I have no
    plans to keep this one. The pc does not see this one when its connected to
    the network.

    I might add that I am using A Lynksys router and modem for this network.

    It is true that I do not believe those 2 computers were ever configured to
    a pc being in the system and if that is the case I would need assistance by
    way of instructions or a link to that information.
    Thank you Gabe

Windows