Calling all MVPs!

I have this problem every time I start up: Numerous error
messages announcing unlocated Audio Device, Baseboard,
Chassis, Disk, DmiBios, Hardware Resources, I/O Ports,
Input Devices, LAN Adapter, Memory, Operating System,
Power Supply, Processor, System, and Video components. I
also get an Error 107 message "Setup is unable to locate
script file <C:EIS\SETUP.INS> which is needed to complete
installation." Any suggestions? Thanks!

"hecep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have this problem every time I start up: Numerous error
>messages announcing unlocated Audio Device, Baseboard,
>Chassis, Disk, DmiBios, Hardware Resources, I/O Ports,
>Input Devices, LAN Adapter, Memory, Operating System,
>Power Supply, Processor, System, and Video components. I
>also get an Error 107 message "Setup is unable to locate
>script file <C:EIS\SETUP.INS> which is needed to complete
>installation." Any suggestions? Thanks!

It sounds like you have something partially installed.

The "Error 107" from Setup is probably from a program named
Installshield which is widely used for installing new applications.

What software or hardware did you recently install on the computer?
Did that installation complete okay or did it fail/crash?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Hello, Mr Martell. I've installed nothing recent enough or
that would coincide with the onset of the problem.
PCBooster V1.1 about two years ago, and McAfee Guardian
v3.00.1037.0 at about the same time; those two installed
without problems. I did get an Earthlink 5.0 update one
year ago. Just a couple of days ago I updated (and used)
my McAfee Viruscan, but that was in (failed) response to
some recent browser crashes I've been trying to address.
The "timings" I'm quoting so far are academic since my
startup anomaly has been around for about 9 months or so.
I realize that if my recollections of dates are off,
that'll make it harder to diagnose. Note though that last
night I downloaded and tried to run WINDOWS-KB84170-
ENU.EXE and received two error messages: "Missing export
KERNAL32.DLL" and "A device attached to the system is not
functioning. I don't know if that last tidbit gives a hint
as to what might be happening. What do you think? Thanks!

Jonathan

KERNEL32.DLL is a very important file to your system. I recommend that you
reinstall windows overtop of your current version, and NOT a reformat unless
that doesn't work.

"hecep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Mr Martell. I've installed nothing recent enough or
> that would coincide with the onset of the problem.
> PCBooster V1.1 about two years ago, and McAfee Guardian
> v3.00.1037.0 at about the same time; those two installed
> without problems. I did get an Earthlink 5.0 update one
> year ago. Just a couple of days ago I updated (and used)
> my McAfee Viruscan, but that was in (failed) response to
> some recent browser crashes I've been trying to address.
> The "timings" I'm quoting so far are academic since my
> startup anomaly has been around for about 9 months or so.
> I realize that if my recollections of dates are off,
> that'll make it harder to diagnose. Note though that last
> night I downloaded and tried to run WINDOWS-KB84170-
> ENU.EXE and received two error messages: "Missing export
> KERNAL32.DLL" and "A device attached to the system is not
> functioning. I don't know if that last tidbit gives a hint
> as to what might be happening. What do you think? Thanks!

"hecep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, Mr Martell. I've installed nothing recent enough or
>that would coincide with the onset of the problem.
>PCBooster V1.1 about two years ago, and McAfee Guardian
>v3.00.1037.0 at about the same time; those two installed
>without problems. I did get an Earthlink 5.0 update one
>year ago. Just a couple of days ago I updated (and used)
>my McAfee Viruscan, but that was in (failed) response to
>some recent browser crashes I've been trying to address.
>The "timings" I'm quoting so far are academic since my
>startup anomaly has been around for about 9 months or so.
>I realize that if my recollections of dates are off,
>that'll make it harder to diagnose. Note though that last
>night I downloaded and tried to run WINDOWS-KB84170-
>ENU.EXE and received two error messages: "Missing export
>KERNAL32.DLL" and "A device attached to the system is not
>functioning. I don't know if that last tidbit gives a hint
>as to what might be happening. What do you think? Thanks!

I still suspect something in your startup loading.

Download Startup Control Panel from
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and install it. It will add an
item named Startup to Control Panel. Double click on it to see the
list of things that are being loaded when your computer starts up.

Post the list back here and we will look it over for anything
suspicious or possibly relevant to your problem(s).

Good luck