please help undo last restoration is not there

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2004 2:56:32 PM

Hi' all,
My friend has a problem with System Restore, she has Windows xp pro., and we
did a system restore yesterday but now she wants to "undo my last
restoration", but it's not on the page where you do that. I've just checked
mine and it's there so, why would it not be on hers, is there any way to get
that back. The only thing in the right pane is "restore my computer to an
earlier time", and "create a restore point". Underneath that should be "undo
my last restoration, but it's just not there.
any help appreciated,
Juanita

More about : undo restoration

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:56:33 PM

Hi Juanita,

If it's not there, then she will not be unable to undo the restoration. This
usually means that previous restore point has been removed. There is no
getting it back.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
> Hi' all,
> My friend has a problem with System Restore, she has Windows xp pro., and
> we
> did a system restore yesterday but now she wants to "undo my last
> restoration", but it's not on the page where you do that. I've just
> checked
> mine and it's there so, why would it not be on hers, is there any way to
> get
> that back. The only thing in the right pane is "restore my computer to an
> earlier time", and "create a restore point". Underneath that should be
> "undo
> my last restoration, but it's just not there.
> any help appreciated,
> Juanita

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:17:56 PM

Thank you for answering, I'm new to this too, but do you mean if she somehow
deleted those dates that are in "Bold", yesterday there were dates in "Bold"
back to the 10th of the month and today on yesterday is in bold.
Thanks Rick,
Juanita
news:o Yr%23KhDiEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Juanita,
>
> If it's not there, then she will not be unable to undo the restoration.
This
> usually means that previous restore point has been removed. There is no
> getting it back.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
> > Hi' all,
> > My friend has a problem with System Restore, she has Windows xp pro.,
and
> > we
> > did a system restore yesterday but now she wants to "undo my last
> > restoration", but it's not on the page where you do that. I've just
> > checked
> > mine and it's there so, why would it not be on hers, is there any way to
> > get
> > that back. The only thing in the right pane is "restore my computer to
an
> > earlier time", and "create a restore point". Underneath that should be
> > "undo
> > my last restoration, but it's just not there.
> > any help appreciated,
> > Juanita

August 22, 2004 3:17:57 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:17:56 GMT, Juanita wrote:

> Thank you for answering, I'm new to this too, but do you mean if she somehow
> deleted those dates that are in "Bold", yesterday there were dates in "Bold"
> back to the 10th of the month and today on yesterday is in bold.
> Thanks Rick,
> Juanita

"Undo" only appears after a system restore has been performed. It's best to
use this option immediately instead of days later. On my system, the option
seems to remain available until a system change occurs that invalidates
that choice. It then disappears and goes back to listing 2 options -
restore and create a restore point.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Juanita,

Basically yes. As Sharon has stated the undo is best used immediately. A
number of things can cause the loss of restore points, such as running disk
cleanup.

--

> Thank you for answering, I'm new to this too, but do you mean if she
> somehow
> deleted those dates that are in "Bold", yesterday there were dates in
> "Bold"
> back to the 10th of the month and today on yesterday is in bold.
> Thanks Rick,
> Juanita
> news:o Yr%23KhDiEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Juanita,
>>
>> If it's not there, then she will not be unable to undo the restoration.
> This
>> usually means that previous restore point has been removed. There is no
>> getting it back.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi' all,
>> > My friend has a problem with System Restore, she has Windows xp pro.,
> and
>> > we
>> > did a system restore yesterday but now she wants to "undo my last
>> > restoration", but it's not on the page where you do that. I've just
>> > checked
>> > mine and it's there so, why would it not be on hers, is there any way
>> > get
>> > that back. The only thing in the right pane is "restore my computer to
> an
>> > earlier time", and "create a restore point". Underneath that should be
>> > "undo
>> > my last restoration, but it's just not there.
>> > any help appreciated,
>> > Juanita

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:35:43 AM

Thanks Rick & Sharon,
What if we did another system restore, would that help. She didn't do a disk
cleanup at least I don't think so as she wouldn't know how. Having said that
my friend seems to delete everything in sight that she doesn't understand,
for instance I downloaded Ad-Aware for her and when I ran that it found 156
files. When she asked me to come and have a look at this last problem
Ad-Aware had been deleted because she didn't know what it was for even
though I did tell her. I downloaded it again and 52 files found again.
I had a problem with script errors and I did a restore and I don't know if
that's what fixed it but everything is fine with my computer now. However, I
have the "undo my last restoration" feature there, so do I just leave it
alone now. I'm worried about that now,
I hope you see this,
Thank you for your help,
Juanita
> Hi Juanita,
>
> Basically yes. As Sharon has stated the undo is best used immediately. A
> number of things can cause the loss of restore points, such as running
disk
> cleanup.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for answering, I'm new to this too, but do you mean if she
> > somehow
> > deleted those dates that are in "Bold", yesterday there were dates in
> > "Bold"
> > back to the 10th of the month and today on yesterday is in bold.
> > Thanks Rick,
> > Juanita
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:o Yr%23KhDiEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi Juanita,
> >>
> >> If it's not there, then she will not be unable to undo the restoration.
> > This
> >> usually means that previous restore point has been removed. There is no
> >> getting it back.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
> > and
> > an

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:35:44 AM

Hi Juanita,

Doing another restore will not help, the restore point you (she) wants is
gone. If she deletes willy-nilly, then use this as a lesson in not doing
that.

--

> Thanks Rick & Sharon,
> What if we did another system restore, would that help. She didn't do a
> disk
> cleanup at least I don't think so as she wouldn't know how. Having said
> that
> my friend seems to delete everything in sight that she doesn't understand,
> for instance I downloaded Ad-Aware for her and when I ran that it found
> 156
> files. When she asked me to come and have a look at this last problem
> Ad-Aware had been deleted because she didn't know what it was for even
> though I did tell her. I downloaded it again and 52 files found again.
> I had a problem with script errors and I did a restore and I don't know if
> that's what fixed it but everything is fine with my computer now. However,
> have the "undo my last restoration" feature there, so do I just leave it
> alone now. I'm worried about that now,
> I hope you see this,
> Thank you for your help,
> Juanita
>> Hi Juanita,
>>
>> Basically yes. As Sharon has stated the undo is best used immediately. A
>> number of things can cause the loss of restore points, such as running
> disk
>> cleanup.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for answering, I'm new to this too, but do you mean if she
>> > somehow
>> > deleted those dates that are in "Bold", yesterday there were dates in
>> > "Bold"
>> > back to the 10th of the month and today on yesterday is in bold.
>> > Thanks Rick,
>> > Juanita
>> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > news:o Yr%23KhDiEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> > This

>> > and
>> > an
> be

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 4:46:07 PM

Thanks Rick, just one more question, if we leave it alone, then will she be
able to do restores in the future when she knows more about her computer. I
would just like to be able to tell her that it will be okay in the future
Juanita.
news:o 21ZJzPiEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:18:26 AM

Hi,

No reason it shouldn't be.

--

> Thanks Rick, just one more question, if we leave it alone, then will she
> be
> able to do restores in the future when she knows more about her computer.
> would just like to be able to tell her that it will be okay in the future
> Juanita.
> news:o 21ZJzPiEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Juanita,
>>
>> Doing another restore will not help, the restore point you (she) wants is
>> gone. If she deletes willy-nilly, then use this as a lesson in not doing
>> that.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Juanita" <elf@ezweb.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Rick & Sharon,
>> > What if we did another system restore, would that help. She didn't do a
>> > disk
>> > cleanup at least I don't think so as she wouldn't know how. Having said
>> > that
>> > my friend seems to delete everything in sight that she doesn't
> understand,
>> > for instance I downloaded Ad-Aware for her and when I ran that it found
>> > 156
>> > files. When she asked me to come and have a look at this last problem
>> > Ad-Aware had been deleted because she didn't know what it was for even
>> > though I did tell her. I downloaded it again and 52 files found again.
>> > I had a problem with script errors and I did a restore and I don't know
> if
>> > that's what fixed it but everything is fine with my computer now.
> However,
>> > have the "undo my last restoration" feature there, so do I just leave
>> > it
>> > alone now. I'm worried about that now,
>> > I hope you see this,
>> > Thank you for your help,
>> > Juanita
>> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

>> > disk

> just
> computer
> should
>> > be

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:40:00 AM

Thanks very much Rick for all your help,
Much appreciated. I've bookmarked all the sites too. They should help me al
lot,
Regards,
Juanita

!