Windows 95 Upgrade

Is there an upgrade product from 95 to a newer version of
Windows?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade

    "PKopytek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Is there an upgrade product from 95 to a newer version of
    >Windows?

    You can buy the upgrade version of Win98, Win98SE, or WinME on CD.
    There's also an upgrade version of WinXP. The XP upgrade won't
    actually upgrade a Win95 system, but it will do a fresh install of the
    (XP) system if you show it your Win95 CD when it asks for proof of a
    qualifying product.

    If you were asking whether there is a *free* way to upgrade Win95 to a
    newer system, the answer is no.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    "PKopytek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Is there an upgrade product from 95 to a newer version of
    >Windows?

    Yes.

    You can purchase upgrades from Windows 95 to any of the following:
    Windows 98 (produced in 1998)
    Windows 98 Second Edition (produced in 1999)
    Windows Millennium Edition (produced in 2000)

    Each new version of Windows has increased hardware requirements in
    terms of CPU speed, RAM quantity, and hard drive capacity, compared to
    the previous version so if you are considering an upgrade then you
    need to first carefully assess the adequacy of the hardware in your
    computer.

    Microsoft has stopped selling all of the above versions of Windows and
    they are rarely found on store shelves. They can, however, sometimes
    be purchased through online retailers or through auction sites such as
    eBay. If purchasing from either of these make certain that you
    understand the full specifics of the Windows version that they are
    selling you. Often OEM versions are sold as "full" versions without
    disclosing the fact that they are OEM and therefore have a number of
    restrictions including the fact that OEM versions cannot be installed
    as an upgrade.

    If I were considering upgrading a Windows 95 machine my first choice
    would probably be for Windows 98 Second Edition, provided the hardware
    included a Pentium 166 mhz CPU or faster, at least 64 mb of RAM, and
    at least 1 gb of unused space on the hard drive. Windows 98 SE is
    the minimum requirement for many of the current software and hardware
    products.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --