Thermal Paste gone bad?

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Ok maybe I didn't word that right. What I want to know is CAN it go bad? I built my last PC bout a year ago and I have a lot of ArticSilver5 left over from it (got the bigger tube, 12grams is it?).

I just recently bought the parts for a new computer and should be building it by the end of the week. I just want to make sure that I can use the year old AS5 on my new CPU (Opteron 165) just fine?

I'm pretty sure I can but I just want to be safe, I plan on OCing it a lot so I know AS5 will play a big part in cooling and I know it works well (my Athlon64 3000+ (S754) runs at 41C underload).

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Check the best before date on the tube......

Ok Ok just a joke

Why would it go bad? The paste in your first computer is still good.

Unless your tube is contaminated?

aj49

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
cant remember the details but ArcticSilver5 does separate after a while. cant remember if/how much that is bad -- they mentioned this at their site.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
shoulden't the thing last? i mean for at least for 5 years? cuz i have heard peopl with 3 year old as5 that still works like a charm.... and that is under heating and cooling everyday, if stored in dry and warm place could it not go bad?

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Maybe squirt out a little and see what it looks like! If it's cracked and dried out in the tube it's definitely bad. :wink:

aj49

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Storage]http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. (All thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage.) This does not affect the performance of the unseparated or remixed compound.

To keep the compound fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe should be stored tip down so that any separation that occurs will be at the back end of the syringe with fully suspended particles below that. Storing in a cool place like a refrigerator will also lessen the separation over time.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htmStorage
Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. (All thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage.) This does not affect the performance of the unseparated or remixed compound.

To keep the compound fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe should be stored tip down so that any separation that occurs will be at the back end of the syringe with fully suspended particles below that. Storing in a cool place like a refrigerator will also lessen the separation over time.

I do remember reading that a long time ago now that I think about it. I did have it like it suggest for about 5months then I put it in a drawer for the rest of the up to now. I guess it should be ok, as I did put the cap back on after I used it.

I just wanted to make sure so I didn't have to waste money and buy another tube.

OK so now I have another question. . . . What is a good normal household item to use to spread/apply the AS5 to the CPU? Last time I used a some free crappy membership card I had just got in the mail but I don't have any of those this time around (darn :wink: )

aj49

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Right, gooey is good. Not to be a bore but check the AS5 site as they have different methods for different CPU's. I use a single blade razor.