WIN 95 UPGRADE

I have a laptop with win95. Would like to upgrade to 2000
or xp. The upgrade are only from win 98. How do I
upgrade to 98 or directly to xp or 2000 without paying
$300.

thanks

pj

First, find out if your computer has the horse-power to run either W2k or
WXP. MS has a program (unfortunately a large download) that will scan your
computer and check hardware and software.
But, if you have a CPU with less than 800 MHz you will not be happy with XP
You will need to have a minimum of 128 Megs of RAM and 256 would be a more
practical minimum
You will need at least 6 Gigabytes of hard drive, a 10 would be a better
minimum
You should surf the net and make sure there are XT or 2000 drivers for your
video card, your sound card and your modem.
Meeting these requirements on an old laptop may be impractical.

That being said and you still want to do the upgrade, you should do a clean
full-install and you will need a copy of a Win98 or Win ME install cd (not a
restore disk), but you might have friend with a copy you could barrow long
enough to do the validity check.

"PJPHILLY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with win95. Would like to upgrade to 2000
> or xp. The upgrade are only from win 98. How do I
> upgrade to 98 or directly to xp or 2000 without paying
> $300.
>
> thanks
>
> pj

A machine currently running W95 is unlikely to run W2K or XP.

Windows 98SE upgrades are available on eBay or through the on-line software
stores for much less than $300.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP W95/W98
"PJPHILLY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with win95. Would like to upgrade to 2000
> or xp. The upgrade are only from win 98. How do I
> upgrade to 98 or directly to xp or 2000 without paying
> $300.
>
> thanks
>
> pj

TRENDING THREADS