Opinions on a new AGP card

elfalot

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Hi recently I've decided to upgrade, but it will be 1 1/2 to 2 years before I can afford to upgrade my entire PC, so I going for a new Vid card (and some more RAM). I've kinda put my focus on getting a 6800 Ultra, mainly because it has Pixel shader 3.0 support, although i might be swayed for a slightly more powerful X850.

Anyways here is few 6800 Ultras I've found on the net.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/55571/VIDEOCARDS_GEFORCE_AGP_SERIES/Innovision/I-6800U-G5G3S;_A-496/GF_6800_Ultra_256MB_256bit_DDR3_Dual_DVI_TV_out_400MHz_Core_Clock_AGP_8X_Interface.asp

http://www.itzcomputers.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_216_218&products_id=423

http://www.itzcomputers.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_216_218&products_id=428

So I'd like to know things like:

is Innovision any good?

the innovision card is cheaper but would the savings be worth it?

I hear BFG is a good brand but being an OCed edition their may not be much more OCing left in it and is the OCed card any good anyway?

the ASUS is more expensive but is their any benifit like performance?

And things like that

P.S. I have thought about going a 6800GT or X800 Pro or slightly lower but I bought FEAR and I know that game will probably be choppy even on a X850 XT PE card at good quality.

pauldh

Illustrious
:lol: You're kidding right? I should end right there as I sense a setup.

But in case you are serious(and since I can profit from your need for SM3 AGP ;) )... For the price of those 6800U's, you could buy a 7800GT, NF4 mobo, and an A64 3700+, with change left over for a game or two.

Simply put, the best high end AGP to get is the X850XT. Slightly slower than a platinum edition, just as fast as (or faster than) a 6800Ultra, and priced from $200-250 after rebate now.

If you insist on a 6800 Ultra, I will sell you my BFG 6800U OC for just a mere $600; that's $190 lower than what you posted. And I'll use the money from you to buy an NF4 mobo and X1900XT. :wink: :D :lol:

pauldh

Illustrious
oh bummer, your post wasn't there a minute ago. Grape, since I know you and you are so helpful here... you can have my AGP 6800U for $50 less than him. It will go right into that GA-7VAXP of your's. 8) Plus it's top of the line SM3 AGP baby! :roll:

oh bummer, your post wasn't there a minute ago. Grape, since I know you and you are so helpful here... you can have my AGP 6800U for $50 less than him. It will go right into that GA-7VAXP of your's. 8) Plus it's top of the line SM3 AGP baby! :roll:

Umm, well that machine IS only barely running on a PCI Rage 128 AIW card...... but nope, I think I'll save my money for PCIe... you AGP luddites! :tongue:

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We must be having a dollar conversion issue here. If those prices are USD they are way, way too high. NewEgg has the x850 XT for $200 USD and the 850 is about the best card you can get for AGP. $709 for any 6800 is beyond a ripoff if the prices are USD.

elfalot

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
To 'TheGreatGrapeApe' - True, but it would still be better than my Sappire Atlantis 9600XT

To 'Lakedude' - These are Australian Prices

To 'Pauldh' - Same as above, and those 3 things would cost a little under 2x as much here in Oz than the dearest of the cards I provided links to.

Also in general in the long run I may go with an X850 XT as they can be a bit more powerful in some games.

I think what most of us are trying to get at is that the Ultra is not worth the premium you usually pay over a GT. If you have no option for a GT or GS, then ok, but save the money if you can, because like I was saying the difference will be minimal. I know it would be better than the R9600XT I had an R9600Pro (that could OC far FAR beyond the XT), but always look for value.

The best thing to find would be your overall pricing options, because if you can get an X8xxXT for much less go for that, same with a GF6800GS/GT. And any money you can save in the difference can go towards buying more games or upgrading in your next phase.

PS what CPU do you have? If it were an AMD64 or Some P4s you might be able to update your MoBo and graphics card to something PCIe for the price of an AGP GF6800U, just something else to consider since it saves you money later and gives you a better upgrade path. If you're using an old Athlon or older P4 then you may only have the limited AGP options available to you.