Sign in with
Your question

Is my harddrive or bios config responsible for slow start up?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2011 6:18:01 PM

I know this is a repeatedly asked question, but bear with me:

I recently built a computer, and made sure to stick some quality components in. It's been a few days since I got it running and win7x64 installed, and the start up time is still really long. Even after the initial boot, there's some time before I'm able to do anything. All together, maybe around 2 minutes.

I ran ccleaner, malware bytes, and avg antivirus, as well as configured what happens on start up. My worry is that after I plugged in all the components, I simply booted win7 from a disk and took things from there.

I read somewhere u have to set your HDD for raid 0 or something, so I'm wondering if that is possibly the problem. What do you guys think?

Additional info:

4gb ddr3
WD Caviar black 1TB HD
Asus p8p67le mobo
intel i5 2500 (running at 3.3ghz)

Ask if more info is needed. Thank you in advance!
a c 354 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2011 6:33:17 PM

Raid 0 is for 2+ hard-drives and does give a speed boost, but at a cost of less reliability as your data is stripped across several drives. If any of the drives die, all the data is lost.

You can go into the BIOS and check the boot sequence to set your hard-drive first, should speed things up.

You also want to make sure you get the latest drivers for your hardware for Windows 7.

Make sure you don't have a lot of startup programs running, printer driver update checks, things like that.

Make sure you time the system from when you turn it on to when Windows is loaded, it may seem slow to you, but if you time it, it's probably a lot less than you think. I've seen issues reported to IS about "slow boot time that's 5 minutes" and we time it with the user and get 40 seconds.
m
l
April 25, 2011 9:25:32 PM

I am having similar issues.
My build is:
CPU-intel 2600k i7 3.4 ghz
PSU-Rosewill 1000W
GPU- Asus ENGTx580
MB- Asus sabertooth p67
RAM- Ballistix DDR3 PC3-16000 (which they list as compatible) have 4 sticks of 4gig but only one in right now
HD- Crucial 128Gig SSD
also have a WD 1.5 Tb
Case- coolermaster Haf X
DVD- LG bluray

it takes me 5 minutes (timed) to get to the bios set-up or to boot off of a cd, have not been able to get an os installed yet windows 7 home premium 32,64bit and unbuntu refuse to install.
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2011 3:08:02 AM

My wifes computer was real slow to start, sometimes had to reboot it to get it to go at all, ended up being the DVD player was bad, put in a new one and it boots right up. The last thing I would of suspected.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2011 5:17:10 AM

th1nker said:
I know this is a repeatedly asked question, but bear with me:

I recently built a computer, and made sure to stick some quality components in. It's been a few days since I got it running and win7x64 installed, and the start up time is still really long. Even after the initial boot, there's some time before I'm able to do anything. All together, maybe around 2 minutes.

I ran ccleaner, malware bytes, and avg antivirus, as well as configured what happens on start up. My worry is that after I plugged in all the components, I simply booted win7 from a disk and took things from there.

I read somewhere u have to set your HDD for raid 0 or something, so I'm wondering if that is possibly the problem. What do you guys think?

Additional info:

4gb ddr3
WD Caviar black 1TB HD
Asus p8p67le mobo
intel i5 2500 (running at 3.3ghz)

Ask if more info is needed. Thank you in advance!

Raid 0 is for more then one hard drive. You have no need for raid with only one hard drive.

What part of the boot up is the slowest for you? The POST, loading of windows before log in screen, or loading of windows after log in screen?
m
l
!