JASCBROWSER.DLL file is linked to missing export KERNEL32...

Hi,

I'm trialling Paint Shop Pro version 8.x

The first attempt to install failed because the version of IE was not
recent enough, so I upgraded to the latest, well, probably the latest
for Win95b (OSR2). It is IE version 5.50.4807.2300

After the IE install, all the icons, in the system tray, and any icon
on shortcuts, and "Start | Programs" was overwritten with the same
icon. Every few minutes, the system tray icons would magically
re-appear as the proper ones, then go back to another icon ?? Anyway,
a reboot fixed that.

The next install of Paint Shop pro worked okay, but when I go to run
it, I now get the message:

"The JASCBROWSER.DLL file is linked to missing export
KERNEL32.DLL:GetFileAttributesExA."

The version of my KERNEL32.DLL is dated 24th Aug 1996, and the version
is 4.00.1111. The dates on the DLL are:

Created: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:51:08 PM
Modified: Saturday, August 24, 1996 11:11:10 AM

Has anyone got any clues how this error message may be appearing (yes,
I have contacted the company that sell Paint Shop pro).

Thanks,

Peter

You spoke to the people at JASC and they haven't told you it doesn't work with Win95?
It is indicated on their web site, and that is why you get that error message.

Paint Shop Pro 8 Minimum System Requirements:
http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/sysreq.asp

Pentium® processor or equivalent

Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE, NT4 SP6, 2000 SP4, ME, XP

128 MB of RAM

400 MB of free hard disk space

16-bit color display adapter at 800x600 resolution

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later (Windows 98 requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later)

Macromedia FlashT Player
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peter Richards" <jehoshua@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:kf8ta09s0si0igo3ee63bu3la5et17ui53@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trialling Paint Shop Pro version 8.x
>
> The first attempt to install failed because the version of IE was not
> recent enough, so I upgraded to the latest, well, probably the latest
> for Win95b (OSR2). It is IE version 5.50.4807.2300
>
> After the IE install, all the icons, in the system tray, and any icon
> on shortcuts, and "Start | Programs" was overwritten with the same
> icon. Every few minutes, the system tray icons would magically
> re-appear as the proper ones, then go back to another icon ?? Anyway,
> a reboot fixed that.
>
> The next install of Paint Shop pro worked okay, but when I go to run
> it, I now get the message:
>
> "The JASCBROWSER.DLL file is linked to missing export
> KERNEL32.DLL:GetFileAttributesExA."
>
> The version of my KERNEL32.DLL is dated 24th Aug 1996, and the version
> is 4.00.1111. The dates on the DLL are:
>
> Created: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:51:08 PM
> Modified: Saturday, August 24, 1996 11:11:10 AM
>
> Has anyone got any clues how this error message may be appearing (yes,
> I have contacted the company that sell Paint Shop pro).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your reply, and yes, I did see that on the Jasc site.
However, as we all know, as soon as M$ dropped support for Win95, the
cascading effect that had on many companies, to also drop Win95
support for their products, was obvious.

There are still many products that continue to run on Win95, even with
new releases. The fact that companies choose to exclude Win95 from
their listed of 'supported' OS's, doesn't necessarily indicate that
the product will _not_ run on an 'unlisted OS'. :D

What is usually the case, is when M$ drop support for an OS, this then
gives companies a convenient excuse to then exclude that OS from the
'supported OS's that the product will run on.

Just my one cents worth, :)

Peter

That is certainly true in some cases, Peter, but unfortunately for you, not in this one. I can name a dozen apps that do not include Win95 in their support listing but they still work with it. In this case however, Win98 files are needed to support features, as evidenced by the particular error message you are receiving, which indicates that a function of the Shell32.dll file that the PSP8 browser feature needs, is not present in the Win95 version of that file.
--

"Peter Richards" <jehoshua@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:80r2b0hrp96rihnlrti16e3sr9hv7uk4o1@4ax.com...
> Hi Glen,
>
> Thanks for your reply, and yes, I did see that on the Jasc site.
> However, as we all know, as soon as M$ dropped support for Win95, the
> cascading effect that had on many companies, to also drop Win95
> support for their products, was obvious.
>
> There are still many products that continue to run on Win95, even with
> new releases. The fact that companies choose to exclude Win95 from
> their listed of 'supported' OS's, doesn't necessarily indicate that
> the product will _not_ run on an 'unlisted OS'. :D
>
> What is usually the case, is when M$ drop support for an OS, this then
> gives companies a convenient excuse to then exclude that OS from the
> 'supported OS's that the product will run on.
>
> Just my one cents worth, :)
>
> Peter

Hi Glen,

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:32:44 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>That is certainly true in some cases, Peter, but unfortunately for you, not in this one. I can name a dozen apps that do not include Win95 in their support listing but they still work with it. In this case however, Win98 files are needed to support features, as evidenced by the particular error message you are receiving, which indicates that a function of the Shell32.dll file that the PSP8 browser feature needs, is not present in the Win95 version of that file.

Yes, I have now had sme other info from people on the PSP forums
(still haven't heard from the company, oh well) that supports what you
are saying about the particular error message.

My naive understanding of it is that the API calls made from PSP8
simply are not available in Win95b, so that's that. I'll have to try
and find PSP7 somewhere to buy in Australia, or spend $$$ and upgrade
m/baord/CPU and OS, and then but PSP8 (gulp).

Thanks,

Peter

Do you have to have as high as PSP7?
If you can do with PSP5 (I can) then see if you can find a copy of
October 2003 PC User (Aust) as there is a free copy in the CD.
(A bit off for those of us who paid for PSP5, but that is what
happens)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, Peter Richards
<jehoshua@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Hi Glen,
>
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:32:44 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>wrote:
>
>>That is certainly true in some cases, Peter, but unfortunately for you, not in this one. I can name a dozen apps that do not include Win95 in their support listing but they still work with it. In this case however, Win98 files are needed to support features, as evidenced by the particular error message you are receiving, which indicates that a function of the Shell32.dll file that the PSP8 browser feature needs, is not present in the Win95 version of that file.
>
>Yes, I have now had sme other info from people on the PSP forums
>(still haven't heard from the company, oh well) that supports what you
>are saying about the particular error message.
>
>My naive understanding of it is that the API calls made from PSP8
>simply are not available in Win95b, so that's that. I'll have to try
>and find PSP7 somewhere to buy in Australia, or spend $$$ and upgrade
>m/baord/CPU and OS, and then but PSP8 (gulp).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter

Hi Alan,

On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:12:10 +1000, Alan Edwards
<edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote:

>Do you have to have as high as PSP7?

To be honest I don't know. I started with the latest PSP8, and then
down to PSP7 to suit Win95. What I need the tool for is to:

* Create some nice looking graphics for websites, from simple
(navbar/menu) buttons, to logos, banners, and be able to do some nice
editing on the images (like overlaying with other images onto
backgrounds).

* Possibly create some animated GIF's, but I think I need other
software for that.

* Possibly create some clipart ??

* Do lots of things, like resizing, cropping, changing colors, size
changes, and all the wizz bang 'effects' you can do. I need to end up
with fairly high quality images, but somehow keep the size down (need
to watch page load times on the websites)
..
* Take screen dumps and then create (by cropping), the required image,
which will be used for documentation. If possible, the tool to have
it's own screen dump function (rather than pressing the print screen
key to push it to the clipboard), whereby it is able to distinguish
between foreground and background images, so that foreground ones can
easily be 'sliced' out for the new image.

I really don't know if PSP7 or PSP5 will do all those things, the only
'trial' version is PSP8. :(

>If you can do with PSP5 (I can) then see if you can find a copy of
>October 2003 PC User (Aust) as there is a free copy in the CD.
>(A bit off for those of us who paid for PSP5, but that is what
>happens)

Wow, that would be great, thanks for letting us know about that, I'll
try and see if I can get one.

Thanks,

Peter

FWIW, you may be able to do a lot of those things using some freeware, such as ArcSoft PhotoStudio, and Irfan Viewer.

http://www.arcsoft.com/en/support/downloads/
(hmm...apparently they are charging for PhotoStudio now. Older versions used to be free to download, and were available online also. I have a copy of their older version here that I could put online for you to download, if you like, in the next couple of days. Let me know, and send me your email addy, to glenv @ mvps dot org, and I will send you a link when I get it uploaded.)

http://www.irfanview.com/
(A fantastic viewer with some good editing ability)

There is a free animated GIF app available but I don't recall the name right now.

An older 32-bit version of PaintShop Pro 3.22 was available for free download online for quite a while....Google for it also.