stuck in compatibility mode blues - esdi_506.pdr not in bo..

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Working on someone's ancient pcchips "computer from hell". I have
googled myself into every single tweak possible to remove
compatibility mode to no avail. (win95b)

Computer has numerous problems too long to detail here. My only
question: this protected mode driver is not even mentioned in the
bootlog.txt file, so no failure, no nothing... this may turn out to be
a bios setting which I am unable to change because i have "battery
failed" etc at bootup and running system defaults by default. Even
with a new battery. But that's another problem. Immediate question is
how can I get esdi_506.pdr to load, or to be even mentioned in the
bootlog?

I noticed that soemone posted this same question back in June of 1998
and received no answer.

thanks, eric

Which drives are listed as being in MS-DOS Compatibility Mode?
Open Device Manager.....are the Hard disk controllers or any other item marked with
a red X or a yellow exclamation mark?

Replace the CMOS battery, enter the BIOS setup, choose to set the "system" or
"setup" defaults, rather than the "BIOS defaults". Save the changes and exit setup.

Search the Registry for an entry named "noide"...delete if found.

Restart in Safe Mode.
Open Device Manager, expand the categories, remove all instances of any devices that
were marked with a red X or a yellow exclamation mark in normal mode.
Remove all items in the "Other" category.
If any duplicates are found in the following categories, remove ALL instances of the
item:
Hard disk controllers, floppy disk controllers, CDROM, CD-ROM controllers, and Disk
drives.
Click OK, and restart in normal mode, letting Windows detect the items, and reboot
when prompted.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm