Windows 95 Boot

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Please help, my machine which is running Windows95 is
driving me nut. Windows does not come up screen remain
blank. When power machine off it does not shutdonw clean.
Everything I have is on that machine. Please help before I
lose it.

Do you have a Windows Startup Disk? You supposedly make one when you
installed Windows on the computer. If you do not have one, you can
obtain a Windows Startup Disk at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Put the Startup disk in the floppy drive before you turn on the
computer. When the computer starts, you should get a DOS prompt

or possibly a menu of choices. Do you?

If you get only a blank screen, you need to talk with tech support at
the companmy that made the computer.

If you get a menu, try starting Windows in Safe Mode. It Windows will
start in Safe Mode, you can probably troubleshoot the problem and
correct it.

If you get a DOS prompt, use DOS commands to make backup copies of
anything on the computer you cannot afford to lose, such as letters,
financial records, address lists. Indeed, make backups even if you can
start the system in Safe Mode. Your computer may be having serious
hardware trouble.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Bill...I am not a wiz at Dos...I have the A prompt....what then? Please.
Thanks, Jcf