Dell Shows Off Three New Windows 8 XPS Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
That second one looks pretty cool. The swivel display that transforms into a tablet idea has always looked intriguing to me. If the whole display(or tablet) disconnects that thing would be badass. Though I am a little afraid of how long those hinges would hold up.

A transitional device like this could be a huge win. Nobody want's to type on a terrible virtual keyboard. And most people don't want to use Windows 8 without a touchscreen. It's a Win/Win.

game junky

Distinguished
My laptop just croaked a month back and I have been trying to assess my needs in a new personal laptop. I was strongly considering just using a tablet since I have an awesome desktop that I use for gaming and would primarily just use the laptop for web surfing. In the interim, I am just using my work laptop (X220 - small but efficient) which gets the job done.

The XPS Duo 12 looks like it might be perfect for me - not sure what the differences are when transitioning from the Tablet interface to the Laptop interface. I'll have to make a trek to a Dell kiosk once they're released or see if I can get my Dell rep to send me a tester. Guessing they'll drop in October/November for holiday sales

The QuadHD screen on the all in one is also very interesting - will have to take a gander at that as well. Kudos Dell - you're definitely trying to be innovative with your designs and I admire that.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]game junky[/nom]My laptop just croaked a month back and I have been trying to assess my needs in a new personal laptop. I was strongly considering just using a tablet since I have an awesome desktop that I use for gaming and would primarily just use the laptop for web surfing. In the interim, I am just using my work laptop (X220 - small but efficient) which gets the job done.The XPS Duo 12 looks like it might be perfect for me - not sure what the differences are when transitioning from the Tablet interface to the Laptop interface. I'll have to make a trek to a Dell kiosk once they're released or see if I can get my Dell rep to send me a tester. Guessing they'll drop in October/November for holiday salesThe QuadHD screen on the all in one is also very interesting - will have to take a gander at that as well. Kudos Dell - you're definitely trying to be innovative with your designs and I admire that.[/citation]

I'd agree. I've been milking my slowly dying laptop for a year now. That swivel screen tablet/laptop is the closest I've come to actually wanting a tablet. I still wish they were bigger though (15-17 inch screen).

bjfaia5

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]this is the crap that made MS feel the need to make their own equipment.[/citation]

I agree. It's stupid bullshit trash like this that Microshit is forcing W8 on us.

game junky

Distinguished

I was an iPad user for a few months but sold it before the new iPads came out because I was intending to get a new one. Well, I had built my desktop after I bought my iPad and I realized how really unnecessary it was for me personally. If I lived in a city with mass-transit or if I traveled more often when it wasn't for work, I would definitely get one. Sadly, all the things I used my iPad for I now do either on my phone or on a laptop/desktop. Don't get me wrong, it was convenient and the build quality was exceptional. It just didn't have a fit in my life.

If you use a tablet for a couple of weeks, you'll realize how much the weight is a factor in daily use. It's just not comfortable the heavier and larger the screen becomes. I just don't think there is a market out there for them right now - they need to work the following to make me jump onboard:

improving battery capacity vs size vs weight
research light weight metals that can withstand day to day usage with scratching/denting
work to bridge the gap between Corning's gorilla glass 1 (hard/scratch resistant) and gorilla glass 2 (thinner but less damage resistant)

Status
Not open for further replies.