Refurbished parts, are they worth it?

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Not sure if this topic belongs in general homebuilt.. but it IS a 'general' forum so here goes.

I keep seeing awesome deals on refurbished parts and newegg and tigerdirect. I got a 9600pro for a friend a while back for 50$ refurbbed and it works great! Should I keep looking at monitors and whatnot in the refurb section? I'm a little afriad of dead pixels, or other problems in the refurb isle. Does anyone have experience buying refurbished parts that would boost or lower my confidence?

BTW we should have a sticky list here for price-watching. Somewhere where people could post the best deals they find for those planning to build soon. Just a thought..

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Check the return policy. I think Newegg specifically states that you are buying it "as-is" which, in some cases, could be DOA. $50 for a paperweight sounds like a bad deal to me.

If interested in "refurbished", why not buy used instead? Ebay has every component out there and, as long as you buy from a reputable seller and read the fine print, you are pretty safe. I just sold several components out of my old system and had great transactions with all my buyers. They were all satisified too.