New gaming build. Have narrowed choices somewhat. Need Input

neteng1958

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Hello Everyone. Would appreciate any input.

Looking to upgrade my system. Last upgrade was 1/03 current config is:

P4 2.4 northwood
Asus P4PE MB
512 MB Corsair PC-2700 Ram
Radeon Pro 9700 128MB
WD 80 Gig 7200 RPM 8MB cache IDE

I mostly just play solo games like Morrowind, Call of duty, wolfenstein and Diablo II. Looking forward to release of Elder scrolls Oblivion and want to upgrade to something that will make it look good. I have cable modem but as I said hardly play anything online. I don’t overclock and stability is important. I really don’t use any type of video or sound editing and rarely burn CD’s. At this point I don’t think I need a dual core but I am open to counterpoints. I will be using air cooling. I have always built my own systems and definitely use the advice I get with regard to what to buy. I will only be using 1 video card. Here is where I am at so far:

Chip:
AMD 4000+ San Diego. Right at the edge of my budget. Would buy if there was an overriding need to.
AMD 3700+ San Diego. Right spot in my budget. Is this chip mostly for overclocking or will it serve my need well as is.
AMD 3800+ X2 Again right now not sure how well a dual core would be for my needs. Maybe next upgrade when more games will use it.
Intel 3.4 G Prescott. See that it runs hot and most say to upgrade fan. By time I have done that though I can just buy 4000+

Mobo:
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe – Pricey maybe more board than I need.
Asus A8N SLI premium – Good price. With both of these boards I have read that they may take a lot of tweaking and driver downloads to get right.
Asus A8V deluxe- Don’t know anything about it.
For Intel? Haven’t done any research on these due to all signs pointing to AMD. Have always used Asus boards with intel chipsets though.

Video card:
Best I can get for under $400 that will play nice with everything and fit in board without being in way or require special cooling. I see a lot of choices and want to get a stable card that has good support.

HD:
Want to try SATA but I don’t need big drive though. Currently my 80 Gig drive isn’t half full after 3 years. Also since my current IDE HD works just fine will I see a noticeable improvement with SATA.

RAM: Would prefer 1G of name brand RAM

Also I want to use an ANTEC TX460 mini tower w/400 watt PS and will prolly continue to use my HP P1110 21" CRT monitor for a while longer b4 switching to flat panel.

Thanks for any advice.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
You might also consider ATI X1800XT, it costs more than 7800GT< but is better. It's also better than 7800GTX.
Don't know about the better than GTX part, depends on what game you're talking about.

did neteng1958 say mini tower? a micro-atx would be a more appropriate choice as opposed to regular ATX