Frozen Mouse

I have a very old Laptop that runs Win95 (barely). I take it on trips
to read some old files, play solitaire, look at photos etc. Absolutely
no Internet or downloading of new files. When it can no longer fill
the above functions it will see the dumpster.

My problem is that almost whenever I move the mouse I get the little
hour glass that presumably indicates the machine is doing some
thinking. Very often, if I move the mouse while the hour glass is
showing then the mouse freezes and it seems my only option is to
reboot the machine.

I have changed mice a few times and therefore I am convinced that is
not the porblem.

Cam anyone sugges anything that might help?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about frozen mouse

    1st thing to check is to make sure that the modem and the serial mouse are
    not sharing the same IRQ. While IRQ sharing for serial devices is possible,
    it is not recommended when a mouse and a modem are involved.

    Here are the preferred settings for the 4 possible serial ports

    COM1/IRQ4, hex 3f8
    COM2/IRQ 3, hex 2f8
    COM3/IRQ 4, hex 3e8
    COM4/IRQ 3, hex 2e8

    Make sure one device is on IRQ4, and the other on IRQ3. BTW, on a laptop
    you may have an IRdA device configured as a serial modem -- make sure it is
    disabled in BIOS.

    Some old sound cards or (God forbid) the Microsoft Speaker Driver/Soundcard
    Emulator for Win31 used to mess with the mouse as well -- same reasons as
    above.

    <campton@pd.jaring.nospam.my> wrote in message
    > I have a very old Laptop that runs Win95 (barely). I take it on trips
    > to read some old files, play solitaire, look at photos etc. Absolutely
    > no Internet or downloading of new files. When it can no longer fill
    > the above functions it will see the dumpster.
    >
    > My problem is that almost whenever I move the mouse I get the little
    > hour glass that presumably indicates the machine is doing some
    > thinking. Very often, if I move the mouse while the hour glass is
    > showing then the mouse freezes and it seems my only option is to
    > reboot the machine.
    >
    > I have changed mice a few times and therefore I am convinced that is
    > not the porblem.
    >
    > Cam anyone sugges anything that might help?
    >

    > Thanks

Mice Microsoft Solitaire Windows