Uninstall W95

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 11, 2004 2:54:11 PM

I would like to uninstall W95 and put in W98. I have W98
CD but when it asks if I want to upgrade and I say yes, it
won't go thru cuz it says I need the update W98 and that
isn't what I have. Sooooo, I was thinking I would just
uninstall W95 and then install W98 but I can't find where
to uninstall the whole W95 program. Any suggestions?

More about : uninstall w95

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:17:03 PM

"Maralee" <onkoinks@rconnect.com> wrote in message
> I would like to uninstall W95 and put in W98. I have W98
> CD but when it asks if I want to upgrade and I say yes, it
> won't go thru cuz it says I need the update W98 and that
> isn't what I have. Sooooo, I was thinking I would just
> uninstall W95 and then install W98 but I can't find where
> to uninstall the whole W95 program. Any suggestions?

This will destroy all your data: emails, email addresses,
documents, etc. You have been warned (g).
Be sure your hardware meets the requirements for Windows 98
before starting:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182751&Product=w98

Create a boot floppy using an appropriate utility for Windows 98
from www.bootdisk.com.

Boot with the floppy. This may require a change to your bios.
Put the Windows 98 CD in the drive.

Type (without the quotes) "format c: /q /b" (the spaces are
important) and hit enter. Answer Y and enter when it asks you to
confirm.

Type the following sequence and hit enter after each line. (F3
means strike the F3 function key).

c:
md \windows
F3\options
F3\cabs
cF3
copy r:\win98\*.*
setup

You can remove the cd at this time.
Follow the instructions onscreen for installing Windows 98. I
assume you have the Product Key for your Windows 98.

An alternative:
Boot with the floppy, change the name of win.com (in the Windows
folder) and then install Windows 98 as an upgrade, be sure to
install in the c:\Windows folder, not c:\windows.001 or anything
funny like that.
June 12, 2004 8:33:28 AM

"Maralee" <onkoinks@rconnect.com> wrote in message
> I would like to uninstall W95 and put in W98. I have W98
> CD but when it asks if I want to upgrade and I say yes, it
> won't go thru cuz it says I need the update W98 and that
> isn't what I have. Sooooo, I was thinking I would just
> uninstall W95 and then install W98 but I can't find where
> to uninstall the whole W95 program. Any suggestions?

you can trick the installer into doing an upgrade

in your windows folder, just rename win.com

then reboot and start your install

pay carefull attention and do NOT install in the default C:\windows.000

specify "different folder" then install back in your original folder

(usually C:\windows )
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:43:49 PM

"Maralee" <onkoinks@rconnect.com> wrote:

>I would like to uninstall W95 and put in W98. I have W98
>CD but when it asks if I want to upgrade and I say yes, it
>won't go thru cuz it says I need the update W98 and that
>isn't what I have. Sooooo, I was thinking I would just
>uninstall W95 and then install W98 but I can't find where
>to uninstall the whole W95 program. Any suggestions?

You have an OEM disk. These things are designed to be installed on an
empty disk, and will not upgrade an existing system. You may be able
to get around this, look here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

I too would like to know how to uninstall win 95 because
I just recently have had problems booting up and getting
it to run properly. Did you get any info that might
help? Would you send it to me please? Thanks. To:
rbro(remove this)att.net

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 8:07:59 PM

You cannot merely uninstall Win95. Every computer has to have an
operating system of some sort. Win95 is an operating system. You can
replace Win95 with something else or you canrepair Win95. Is there
another operating system that you want to install?

If you are thinking about upgrading to Win98, you need to check that
your computer has adequate hardware for Win98. Also, I believe that is
is often a mistake to try to upgrade a defective Win95 because the
defects might continue in Win98. Thus, even if you want to upgrade,
you probably ought to correct the problems you are having now.

Troubleshooting should follow this logic:

1. Start Win95/98 in Safe Mode.
If the trouble does not appear in Safe Mode, then the trouble is
caused by software conflicts or defects. Investigate each of the
functions that Safe Mode turns off.

2. If the trouble also occurs in Safe Mode, rename the current Windows
folder and reinstall Win95/98 into an empty folder.
If the trouble does not appear with a fresh installation, the trouble
is caused by something you have added to Win95/98 (but something that
is not turned off by Safe Mode).

3. If the trouble occurs even with a fresh install of Windows, the
trouble is arising in hardware.

Safe Mode does the following:
(a) bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat
(b) prevents programs from starting automatically (from win.ini
or the startup folder)
(c) uses standard VGA video
(d) prevents a network from being started
(e) disables protected mode device drivers (those listed in
Device Manager)
(f) bypasses the [boot] and [386Enh] sections of system.ini
For more details, see document 122051 in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase.

If Safe Mode makes the problem go away, you can try tests from the
list below to pin down the cause of the problem. For more elaborate
instructions, see document 156126 in the KnowledgeBase, which explains
how to do troubleshooting in Safe Mode.

With Windows 98, you can use MSConfig to help you run the tests below.
With Windows 95, you can use Startup Control Panel. Startup Control
Panel is similar to the Msconfig utility that ships in Windows 98. It
can make troubleshooting easier by removing and restoring items from
the Windows startup. You can get Startup Control Panel as freeware
from:

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

Startup Cop can also disable items loading at Windows startup and it
is freeware. You can download Startup Cop from:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,77594,.h...

1. Change the video driver to Microsoft's Standard Display Adapter
(VGA). Restart Windows and test.

2. Rename the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to Config.sss and
Autoexec.bbb, or edit them so that the only things loading are
absolutely necessary for the computer to run. The latter items might
be a SCSI driver for the harddrive, or disk management software for an
EIDE drive. Deactivate EVERYTHING else by putting REM in front of
that line. Reboot the computer and test.

3. Remove EVERYTHING from the Start Menu/Startup folder by dragging
their icons onto the desktop. Also disable or uninstall all utilities
that are running TSR (such as Norton Navigator, SoftRam or Macafee
AV). Restart Windows and test.

4. Rename the Win.ini and System.ini to Win.iii and System.iii. Then
make a copy of System.cb and name it System.ini. Do not rename
System.cb itself. Edit the new System.ini as follows: Add
device=*vmd
to the [386Enh] section, and add
drivers=mmsystem.dll
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
to the [boot] section. Restart Windows. You probably will have no
mouse so you'll have to use keystrokes to do the following. Go into
Device Manager and select the mouse (which will have a yellow
exclamation point). Click "Remove." Again, restart Windows. Windows
should find the mouse and install software for it. Test.

5. With Windows 98, run the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and
enter "sfc".

6. Rename the current Windows folder (directory). Then install
Win95/98 to a new, empty folder. Test. If problem does not occur, it
was caused by something in the old installation. I recommend that you
keep this new installation and reinstall your Windows applications.

When you reinstall applications, install Windows applications that
were written for Win95/98 or WinNT but do not install older
applications that were written for Windows 3.x. Install only one
application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
another application. Before you install and application, make a system
snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
/Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.

The following articles explain how to install into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/...

How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/...

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
!