Registry Issue

I just reinstalled an OEM version of Windows 95 on my
laptop because the other version was malfunctioning. Now I
am having a very big problem with some of my programs.
When I start the program, like Microsoft Word, the system
will say that the system registry is reporting that some
files are missing or corrupted. I know why this is, the
registry is brand new from the win95 installation.
The setup said that I would have to reinstall all of my
applications, and that's probably why: the registry is not
set up correctly.
One problem: I cannot reinstall these products because
they were installed across a network that is no longer
present. Now what??

>The setup said that I would have to reinstall all of my
>applications, and that's probably why: the registry is not
>set up correctly.

Right! You must reinstall (almost) all of the applications.

>One problem: I cannot reinstall these products because
>they were installed across a network that is no longer
>present.

You can ask the network administrator to give you the CD-ROms for
these applications. If you no longer work where the network was
located, you no longer have a legal right to use those programs, so
you will have to buy the programs. Chances are that someone is selling
them. Search the Internet for them.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

If you no longer have the network connection then the products should be
installed using the installation CD.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)
"Patrick L. V" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just reinstalled an OEM version of Windows 95 on my
> laptop because the other version was malfunctioning. Now I
> am having a very big problem with some of my programs.
> When I start the program, like Microsoft Word, the system
> will say that the system registry is reporting that some
> files are missing or corrupted. I know why this is, the
> registry is brand new from the win95 installation.
> The setup said that I would have to reinstall all of my
> applications, and that's probably why: the registry is not
> set up correctly.
> One problem: I cannot reinstall these products because
> they were installed across a network that is no longer
> present. Now what??

I don't see you have many options.
You can purchase copies of MS Word and other programs you need or you
can stop using them.
It would be a mammoth task to get the right Registry entries from your
backup (assuming you have one) and using the old Registry on a
different installation may only get your troubles back again.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Patrick L. V"