Arctic-Cooling Freezer 64 pro made wrong side up?

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
This cooler, althouyh it rates well, seems to be made wrong side up. The picture at http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc= shows the cooler in a motherboard that is laid horizontal. Well, I have the cooler installed on a typical mid sized case a Praetorian Cooler Master case on a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, and the CPU socket positions the cooler so the heat pipes are three up, and three down, with the motherboard VERTICAL. Turning the heat sink ninety degrees would be even WORSE, because the heat pipes would all be horizontal.

Since the heat pipes work on fluid boiling off of the hot copper base pad and then moving higher into the cooler finned area to release the heat, condense, and return again, the three bottom tubes are in effect doing nothing. Why is this thing made this way? About zero high performance ATX motherboards align the cooler heat pipes ALL for best performance (moving up hill). I wonder how the cooler was aligned when it was reviewed?

It is quiet, reasonably priced, easy to install and keeps my 3800+ AMD X2 CPU at 33C. A review noted that the fan hit the RAM modules on my same A8N board, but I had PLENTY of clearance above the RAM nearest socket. that I used. I did have to remove and replace the attaching hardware 180 degrees so the latch was at the bottom of the heat sink where I could more easily get my fingers on it instead of crammed up into the top edge of the motherboard.

I just wonder how well it would work if it was made correctly. Am I missing something here?