Problem booting Win95

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

Hello all,

My computer suddenly won't boot up properly and freezes
up just when the desktop screen start to appear. I
followed suggestions and made a copy of Bootdisk. When I
started the computer with it A:\ appeared. As someone
suggested I typed and entered "sys c". But it
says "Invalid Drived Specification". Now what? What
did/didn't I? Aloha and Mahalo

you have to add a colon behind the letter C "sys c:"
the colon tells DOS that C is a drive.

"Aloha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> My computer suddenly won't boot up properly and freezes
> up just when the desktop screen start to appear. I
> followed suggestions and made a copy of Bootdisk. When I
> started the computer with it A:\ appeared. As someone
> suggested I typed and entered "sys c". But it
> says "Invalid Drived Specification". Now what? What
> did/didn't I? Aloha and Mahalo

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

Richard,

Thanks for your reply but I did type c: and that's what I
got. "Invalid Drive Specification". Thanks.

That means it can't find your C: drive, and that means that something
is seriously wrong. Maybe the hard drive has failed, or the IDE
channel has failed, or maybe the cable that connects the two has
fallen off on one end or the other. It's probably time to take it to
the repair shop.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote:

>"Aloha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Richard,
>>
>>Thanks for your reply but I did type c: and that's what I
>>got. "Invalid Drive Specification". Thanks.
>
>That means it can't find your C: drive, and that means that something
>is seriously wrong. Maybe the hard drive has failed, or the IDE
>channel has failed, or maybe the cable that connects the two has
>fallen off on one end or the other. It's probably time to take it to
>the repair shop.

Another possibility is that the hard drive is using BIOS overlay
software to allow the computer to access a hard drive that is larger
than what the computer was designed to use.

Start the computer normally and watch the screen carefully during the
entire bootup process.

Just before the "Starting Windows 95...." message appears there may be
some information about a BIOS overlay program such as EZDrive,
MaxBlast, or Disk Manager. If so then that message should also
include some advice such as "press the spacebar to boot from a
diskette".

To boot from a diskette you take the indicated action (e.g. press the
spacebar if that is what is says) and then insert the boot diskette.
You should then be able to access the C: drive.

WARNING*******WARNING*********WARNING

If your computer is using BIOS overlay software then you do not repeat
do not ever want to use the SYS C: command on that hard drive. Doing
so will wipe out the BIOS overlay software rendering the entire drive
inaccessible. All repeat all of the contents of the drive will be
lost.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

I was able to restore registry by following instructions
and start the computer at "Safe Mode". But this morning
when I tried to start, it failed again with following
msg "Fatal exception has occured at 0028:C0009580 in VXD
VMM(01)+00008580.". I restarted computer and it booted
up with no problem. What does this mean? Thanks and
Aloha.

don't eat much."
>.

Aloha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002

Sorry, slight typo on my last msg. It should have
said "Fatal exception 0E has occured....." Thanks..