JustLuker

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Hi, I'm new to the forums but i was hoping to get some help with this problem. Here is the list of hardware, AMD 3800 x-2, asus a8n-sli premium MOBO, ocz pc 3200 512mb ram x2, creative labs audigy 2 soundcard, evga geforce 7800 pci-e video card. This is the problem, I installed the mobo thew video card and the power supply into my case and powered up the computer, it started no problem i went to the bios and changed the odd thing, audio and boot device prioity. then saved and restarted. At this point i noticed i didn't plug in the power cord for the video card so I hit the power button. Once powered down I pulled the main power cord and then plugged in the video card. Once everything was plugged in again I went to start the computer but nothing. I checked the power standby LED and it was on. I have removed everything and still no powering up. I've tried to reset the bios incase i messed up somthing, still no powering up. any thoughts on what my problem is. btw I have a 550w power supply.

Easiest to check is using another known good quickly slaved in ATX12v PS of sufficient wattage....(yours was more than enough, but doesnt mean it can't fail at an illogical time)

Ensure the ATX pwr button lines were not dislodged on the mb...

It rather bothersome that it chose that moment you connected the video card to refuse further power ups, however...(The video card is capable of around a 100watt sstartup/full load power up, perhaps that killed the ps, or the mb gave out at that moment...I hope not!)

Do you have a friend with another PCI-e system that will allow you to test your 7800 in his system? (He can disconnect his hard drive so that his systems config is unaffected, just looking for a good POST and BIOS display, essentially)

Does it power up with the video card removed, or with disconnected vid pwr input? (Might indicate prob with video card or mb...; any component can fail, and all components are "possibly bad" until proven good elsewhere!)

JustLuker

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
thanks for the help, I found the problem though. I called ASUS to see what they had to say and it was my power supply I guess the antec neo power supplies are crap and won't work with the asus board.

TRENDING THREADS