monitor or video trouble?

jeff

I have a friend who is using a W 95 PC where the display is causing trouble.
The problem is that after Windows 95 starts, the top one inch of the image
appears to be duplicated on itself, as if the display was a sheet of paper
whose top inch is rolled down on itself. Adjusting the monitor's settings
does not eliminate this weird problem unless I reduce the height of the
image displayed to about 2/3 of normal. Moving the image up or down does
nothing.

How do I determine if it is the monitor or the video card that needs to be
replaced? I can find nothing in W95's utilities that could help me. The
device manager shows no "yellow" problem with the video card but seems to
have no way to test it. The video card is listed as a "S 3 Trio 32/64 PCI. I
do not have a spare monitor to test the system with.

Any help would be appreciated.

--

Jeff McPherson
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:

>I have a friend who is using a W 95 PC where the display is causing trouble.
>The problem is that after Windows 95 starts, the top one inch of the image
>appears to be duplicated on itself, as if the display was a sheet of paper
>whose top inch is rolled down on itself. Adjusting the monitor's settings
>does not eliminate this weird problem unless I reduce the height of the
>image displayed to about 2/3 of normal. Moving the image up or down does
>nothing.
>
>How do I determine if it is the monitor or the video card that needs to be
>replaced? I can find nothing in W95's utilities that could help me. The
>device manager shows no "yellow" problem with the video card but seems to
>have no way to test it. The video card is listed as a "S 3 Trio 32/64 PCI. I
>do not have a spare monitor to test the system with.

The way would be to simply plug a different monitor into the computer.
I think the symptoms point to the monitor. Have you tried using the
controls on the monitor to adjust the picture?

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

jeff

I've tried the monitor controls as described in my message. I'll try to get
a monitor from somewhere to test it. Not easy.

--

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a friend who is using a W 95 PC where the display is causing
trouble.
> >The problem is that after Windows 95 starts, the top one inch of the
image
> >appears to be duplicated on itself, as if the display was a sheet of
paper
> >whose top inch is rolled down on itself. Adjusting the monitor's
settings
> >does not eliminate this weird problem unless I reduce the height of the
> >image displayed to about 2/3 of normal. Moving the image up or down does
> >nothing.
> >
> >How do I determine if it is the monitor or the video card that needs to
be
> >replaced? I can find nothing in W95's utilities that could help me. The
> >device manager shows no "yellow" problem with the video card but seems to
> >have no way to test it. The video card is listed as a "S 3 Trio 32/64
PCI. I
> >do not have a spare monitor to test the system with.
>
> The way would be to simply plug a different monitor into the computer.
> I think the symptoms point to the monitor. Have you tried using the
> controls on the monitor to adjust the picture?
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

If you can get the image to look correct by reducing the height, then the
monitor is being driven outside its ratings. By reducing the height you are
reducing the scan depth, and the monitor can cope with the refresh rate at
the reduced scan depth. As the height is increased the monitor becomes
unable to handle the refresh rate at the greater scan depth, and you need to
reduce the refresh rate. This is a typical symptom of aging components.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)