How can I read a MS Win95 backup file(.QIC)

I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was running
Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came with
MS Win95..

This backup DVD has some information that I really need.

Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

Thanks,

Mark

******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
*******************
9 answers Last reply
More about read win95 backup file

    Yes - the W95 backup program will read QIC files. It works fine under W98,
    and I think it will work with most any other OS.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (DTS)
    "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was running
    > Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came
    > with
    > MS Win95..
    >
    > This backup DVD has some information that I really need.
    >
    > Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

    When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The current
    media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

    Does this mean the data is gone for good??

    I am running Win98 to try to restore the backup, because I can not install
    Win95 on the computer I am currently working with..

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > Yes - the W95 backup program will read QIC files. It works fine under W98,
    > and I think it will work with most any other OS.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (DTS)
    > "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was
    running
    > > Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came
    > > with
    > > MS Win95..
    > >
    > > This backup DVD has some information that I really need.
    > >
    > > Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
    You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
    --
    > When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
    > current
    > media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??

    > You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
    > You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (DTS)
    > "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
    > > current
    > > media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Just copy the files from the W95 installation CD to a folder on the W98
    system. It doesn't need an installation procedure.
    --
    > How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??
    >
    > Mark

    > ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
    > 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
    > *******************
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
    >> You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (DTS)
    >> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
    >> > current
    >> > media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that does
    not work..

    > Just copy the files from the W95 installation CD to a folder on the W98
    > system. It doesn't need an installation procedure.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (DTS)
    > "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??
    > >
    > > Mark

    > > ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON
    ANTIVIRUS
    > > 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.

    > > *******************
    > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98
    backup.
    > >> You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
    > >> --
    > >> Jeff Richards
    > >> MS MVP (DTS)
    > >> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I suspect that MSBackup in the OldDos folder is the Windows 3.1/Dos 5
    version, which is no good to you. The one you want is from the Windows 95
    installation CD you need to extract the files (3, from memory, including
    help) from the CAB files. You can extract them manually to a separate
    folder, but when I have needed to do this I usually found it just as easy to
    install W95 onto a spare disk and then copy the required files across to the
    W98 system.
    --
    > Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that does
    > not work..
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I have no idea what the name of the files are, could you please post the
    names..

    > I suspect that MSBackup in the OldDos folder is the Windows 3.1/Dos 5
    > version, which is no good to you. The one you want is from the Windows
    95
    > installation CD you need to extract the files (3, from memory, including
    > help) from the CAB files. You can extract them manually to a separate
    > folder, but when I have needed to do this I usually found it just as easy
    > install W95 onto a spare disk and then copy the required files across to
    the
    > W98 system.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (DTS)
    > "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that
    does
    > > not work..

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Windows 95 Cd
    Win95_04.cab File
    backup.cfg 23,834 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    backup.cnt 1,189 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    backup.exe 820,224 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    backup.hlp 33,018 07-11-1995 9:50:00a

    Windows 95 DMF-format 3.5-inch disks
    Disk 4 Win95_04.cab File:

    backup.cfg 23,834 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    backup.cnt 1,189 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    chiadi.dll 16,384 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    chikdi.dll 15,360 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
    backup.exe 820,224 07-11-1995 9:50:00a

    Windows 95 non-DMF 3.5-inch disks
    Disk 6 Win95_06.cab File:

    BACKUP.CFG 23,834 07-11-95 9:50a
    BACKUP.CNT 1,189 07-11-95 9:50a
    CHIADI.DLL 16,384 07-11-95 9:50a
    CHIKDI.DLL 15,360 07-11-95 9:50a
    BACKUP.EXE 820,224 07-11-95 9:50a
    Disk 7 Win95_07.cab File:
    BACKUP.HLP 33,018 07-11-95 9:50a

    Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2) CD-ROM
    Win95_05.cab File
    BACKUP CFG 23,834 08-24-96 11:11a
    BACKUP CNT 1,189 08-24-96 11:11a
    BACKUP EXE 820,224 08-24-96 11:11a
    BACKUP HLP 33,018 08-24-96 11:11a

    --
    >I have no idea what the name of the files are, could you please post the
    > names..

DVD Backup Microsoft Windows