How can I read a MS Win95 backup file(.QIC)

I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was running
Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came with
MS Win95..

This backup DVD has some information that I really need.

Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

Thanks,

Mark

******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
*******************

Yes - the W95 backup program will read QIC files. It works fine under W98,
and I think it will work with most any other OS.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)
"Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was running
> Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came
> with
> MS Win95..
>
> This backup DVD has some information that I really need.
>
> Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The current
media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

Does this mean the data is gone for good??

I am running Win98 to try to restore the backup, because I can not install
Win95 on the computer I am currently working with..

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> Yes - the W95 backup program will read QIC files. It works fine under W98,
> and I think it will work with most any other OS.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (DTS)
> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was
running
> > Win95, I was burning a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came
> > with
> > MS Win95..
> >
> > This backup DVD has some information that I really need.
> >
> > Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
--
> When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
> current
> media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??

> You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
> You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (DTS)
> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
> > current
> > media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

Just copy the files from the W95 installation CD to a folder on the W98
system. It doesn't need an installation procedure.
--
> How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??
>
> Mark

> ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
> 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
> *******************
> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98 backup.
>> You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (DTS)
>> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to restore the .qic file from Win98, I get a error, " The
>> > current
>> > media does not contain any backup sets. The operation will be caceled..

Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that does
not work..

> Just copy the files from the W95 installation CD to a folder on the W98
> system. It doesn't need an installation procedure.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (DTS)
> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How do I install the W95 backup on the W98 system ??
> >
> > Mark

> > ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON
ANTIVIRUS
> > 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.

> > *******************
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> >> You can't restore a backup made with the W95 backup using the W98
backup.
> >> You must install the W95 backup on the W98 system and use that.
> >> --
> >> Jeff Richards
> >> MS MVP (DTS)
> >> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I suspect that MSBackup in the OldDos folder is the Windows 3.1/Dos 5
version, which is no good to you. The one you want is from the Windows 95
installation CD you need to extract the files (3, from memory, including
help) from the CAB files. You can extract them manually to a separate
folder, but when I have needed to do this I usually found it just as easy to
install W95 onto a spare disk and then copy the required files across to the
W98 system.
--
> Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that does
> not work..

I have no idea what the name of the files are, could you please post the
names..

> I suspect that MSBackup in the OldDos folder is the Windows 3.1/Dos 5
> version, which is no good to you. The one you want is from the Windows
95
> installation CD you need to extract the files (3, from memory, including
> help) from the CAB files. You can extract them manually to a separate
> folder, but when I have needed to do this I usually found it just as easy
> install W95 onto a spare disk and then copy the required files across to
the
> W98 system.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (DTS)
> "Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are you talking about the msbackup in the olddos folder, because that
does
> > not work..

Windows 95 Cd
Win95_04.cab File
backup.cfg 23,834 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
backup.cnt 1,189 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
backup.exe 820,224 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
backup.hlp 33,018 07-11-1995 9:50:00a

Windows 95 DMF-format 3.5-inch disks
Disk 4 Win95_04.cab File:

backup.cfg 23,834 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
backup.cnt 1,189 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
chiadi.dll 16,384 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
chikdi.dll 15,360 07-11-1995 9:50:00a
backup.exe 820,224 07-11-1995 9:50:00a

Windows 95 non-DMF 3.5-inch disks
Disk 6 Win95_06.cab File:

BACKUP.CFG 23,834 07-11-95 9:50a
BACKUP.CNT 1,189 07-11-95 9:50a
CHIADI.DLL 16,384 07-11-95 9:50a
CHIKDI.DLL 15,360 07-11-95 9:50a
BACKUP.EXE 820,224 07-11-95 9:50a
Disk 7 Win95_07.cab File:
BACKUP.HLP 33,018 07-11-95 9:50a

Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2) CD-ROM
Win95_05.cab File
BACKUP CFG 23,834 08-24-96 11:11a
BACKUP CNT 1,189 08-24-96 11:11a
BACKUP EXE 820,224 08-24-96 11:11a