Can I upgrade windows 95 to windows 98?

My laptop uses windows 95, but I want to use a device
which requires windows 98 or above. Can I upgrade?
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade windows windows

    What brand and model number do your have for a laptop?
    What is the CPU speed?
    What is the amount of RAM memory you have?
    What is the size of your hard drive and how much free space do you have?
    Can you get Windows 98 and 98SE drivers for your video card, your sound
    card, your modem, your motherboard?

    Reasons for the above questions:
    Some laptop venders use totally proprietary software and updates are not
    available.
    If your CPU is less than 200 MHz you will not like the results of the
    upgrade
    If your Memory is less than 64 MB you will not like the results of the
    upgrade
    If your Hard drive does not have at least 500 MB of free space you will not
    like the upgrade.
    If you can't get basic drivers for your system, you will not like the
    upgrade.

    To do the upgrade, you will need to have a non-EOM windows 98 upgrade, or
    basic CD a bootable floppy with CD drivers.
    You may be able to get the CD by shopping on ebay.
    But I am guessing that your equipment is going to be too weak to upgrade.

    "Simon Mountford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My laptop uses windows 95, but I want to use a device
    > which requires windows 98 or above. Can I upgrade?

    Most machines that can use W95 can upgrade to W98, but if you have less than
    64Mb of RAM performance might be pretty ordinary and you might be better off
    sticking with W95. Check whether your laptop was ever supplied with W98 as
    an option - that will be a good indication of whether or not you'll have
    problems. If you can get W98 drivers from your laptop manufacturer, then
    you are pretty much certain to be OK. Note that if you do upgrade you should
    go straight to SE.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (DTS)
    "Simon Mountford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My laptop uses windows 95, but I want to use a device
    > which requires windows 98 or above. Can I upgrade?

Windows 98 Laptops Windows 95 Microsoft Windows