optimizing sound with new card?

trthurst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I read so many great things about the logitech z 2300s and I went out and bought them. After getting them home, I'm not really impressed at all with the clarity and depth and my old speakers were 5 year old altec acs 340. I have a santa cruz card right now. Would I really hear an improvement with something like the creative x-fi or are these speakers just worthless?

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
i have log z2300 thx speakers and use sb augigy2zs. sound is pretty good. dont know mucu about santa cruz cards.. use winamp and a equalizer setting like techno or rock to sound better. ol dirty couldnt be here but he sends his respects - "gihgihgih"...

trthurst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm using winamp and it's set to rock...I'll try to be more specific. I've noticed some songs sound good at times with there is not much going on. When the music starts getting dynamic it seems like the clarity takes a dive.

trthurst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
In the x-fi article it said music will sound better if you have good speakers. I listen to mostly mp3s so do you think that these speakers would be up to par with that soundcard?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I read so many great things about the logitech z 2300s and I went out and bought them. After getting them home, I'm not really impressed at all with the clarity and depth and my old speakers were 5 year old altec acs 340. I have a santa cruz card right now. Would I really hear an improvement with something like the creative x-fi or are these speakers just worthless?

No. There is nothing that can makeup for poor quality speakers IMHO.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Although some people like to justify their purchases by either pretending to think so, or living the "halo" effect of a newly purchased gold-plated sound card : P

G

Your Santa Cruz is a good all around card with what most would consider acceptable audio performance. It will be fine for sampling the new speakers. In fact it would be fine for auditioning all but the very top tier quality in amplified loudspeakers. The fact that your speakers sound worse at higher volumes should not be blamed on this card. I would suspect that the speakers internal amp is the culprit for your particular symptom, and replacing the whole speaker/amplifier setup with something of higher quality would be the only way to rectify the situation.