How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 syst..

How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??

Mark

******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
*******************

Mark Gross <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:efxatC6VEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??
>
> Mark

I have not used it, so my advice is not based upon hands-on knowledge.

The "Windows 95" backup program is actually an MS-DOS program,
located on the CD-ROM in R:\OTHER\OLDMSDOS\MSBACKUP,
where R is the CD-ROM drive letter (yours may vary), so you wouldn't
install it any more than you would install COMMAND.COM.

I would copy that folder from your Windows 95 CD to the hard drive,
and then run the EXE file.

Why do you want to?
Win98 has its own backup program (though it isn't much better than the Win95 version).
Here's how to install it:

Microsoft Backup System Requirements for Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;182624

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:efxatC6VEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??
>
> Mark

> ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
> 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
> *******************

After running across your earlier thread on this subject, I see why you are asking
this. I do not use the MS Backup program, and never have. According to this
article, you *should* be able to restore the backup, but only the entire backup:
Problems Restoring a Windows 95 Backup Set File in Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190897

Perhaps Jeff will post back with an explanation.
--

Why do you want to?
Win98 has its own backup program (though it isn't much better than the Win95
version).
Here's how to install it:

Microsoft Backup System Requirements for Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;182624

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??
>
> Mark

> ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
> 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.
> *******************

I am trying to recover data from my clone backup computer that was running
Win95, I was burned a backup DVD with the MS backup program that came with
MS Win95..

This backup DVD has some information that I really need.

Is there a program that will read and recover a .QIC file ?

Thanks,

Why do you want to?
Win98 has its own backup program (though it isn't much better than the Win95
version).
Here's how to install it:

Microsoft Backup System Requirements for Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;182624

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mark Gross" <mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??
>
> Mark

> ******************* ALL EMAIL IS CHECKED FOR VIRUSES WITH NORTON ANTIVIRUS
> 2004 BEFORE BEING SENT TO YOU.

> *******************

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:01:42 -0400, "Mark Gross"
<mark81955@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I install the Window 95 backup on a Windows 98 system??

I don't think you can - and there's a big lesson here:

AVOID version-bound bundleware!

Whether it's Backup or OE bound to the Windows version, or Outlook
bound to the MS Office version, I'd avoid the use of any app that:
- can't maintain data contuinuity across versions
- binds its version to some other product

In addition, MSware tends to create data in dumb locations, and is
unable to simply use this data on a drop-in basis (instead, you have
to trust various import/export procedures).

So much as I love Windows as an OS, I don't use any subfunctions that
generate or manage data I want to see again, especially when these are
exposed to the outside world. Instead I see Windows as a great OS
from which best-of-breed 3rd-party apps can be run. No disgrace in
that; it is, after all, what a decent OS is supposed to do.

Drugs are usually safe. Inject? (Y/n)