Something alien in my system

Got a problem that started about two days ago.
First, upon boot up I get a msg that WS2_32.DLL is
missing. I cannot locate such a file on W95 system CD.
Next thing that happens is IE is executed on its own and
initially this brought up a pop-up ad; but after deleting
temp internet files, it comes up as a blank IE box (the
kind that has no control buttons in the window). I close
that and if i call on IE with my modem off, it comes up
fine, but if turn on the modem first, there is a massive
delay in bringing up IE and sometimes I have to do an "End
task" and try again.
When accessing your site today, I have encountered an
enormous amount of script error messages, especially when
trying to use the scroll bar of the small window to the
left of the screen.
I have also encountered a log text file that the system
will not let me delete. It seems related. It contains
date time and various messages like: "Timer not
expires" "checking ros timer" "not time to display
ad" "have internet stuff to do but no connection"
This log started about 8pm on the 20th and continues to
recieve entries.
Ran vius check late on 19th and found and deleted 4
infections; have run it several times since and found
nothing.

A separate but related question: Can virus or spyware
invade your computer via IM?

Can not answer other questions but Instant Messenger is a
prime target nowadays for hackers and viruses. Norton
even includes the Instant Messengers in their Anti virus
software now.

Janet

ws2_32.dll is a part of the Winsock 2 Update for Windows 95.
The correct way to get it is to install the update.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/default.asp
for the Winsock 2 Update for Win 95, and the Year 2000 Update for Winsock 2.

Winsock 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp

Read all the info on the web page, and all the links.
Also linked on that page, under Recommended Updates- Networking, is the Year 2000 Update for Winsock2, which must be installed afterwards:

Microsoft DUN 1.3 and Winsock2 Year 2000 Update
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUNetworking/dunwinsky2k/Default.asp

Regarding the rest of your post, you apparently have at least ad-ware, perhaps spyware and trojans on your system.

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/CWShredder.exe
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

In addition, install Ad-Aware 6 free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
http://forum.aumha.org/
http://forums.net-integration.net/
http://computercops.biz/forums.html
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=30
http://tomcoyote.org/forums/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com
http://boards.cexx.org/

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
and an in-depth tutorial is here:
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

Additional reading:
Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
and
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John Summe" <johnsumme@fuse.net> wrote in message news:1f59c01c457b1$37672130$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Got a problem that started about two days ago.
> First, upon boot up I get a msg that WS2_32.DLL is
> missing. I cannot locate such a file on W95 system CD.
> Next thing that happens is IE is executed on its own and
> initially this brought up a pop-up ad; but after deleting
> temp internet files, it comes up as a blank IE box (the
> kind that has no control buttons in the window). I close
> that and if i call on IE with my modem off, it comes up
> fine, but if turn on the modem first, there is a massive
> delay in bringing up IE and sometimes I have to do an "End
> task" and try again.
> When accessing your site today, I have encountered an
> enormous amount of script error messages, especially when
> trying to use the scroll bar of the small window to the
> left of the screen.
> I have also encountered a log text file that the system
> will not let me delete. It seems related. It contains
> date time and various messages like: "Timer not
> expires" "checking ros timer" "not time to display
> ad" "have internet stuff to do but no connection"
> This log started about 8pm on the 20th and continues to
> recieve entries.
> Ran vius check late on 19th and found and deleted 4
> infections; have run it several times since and found
> nothing.
>
> A separate but related question: Can virus or spyware
> invade your computer via IM?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Glen,

Thank you for all the information. I have restored the
missing dll as well as updated winsock, which I didn't
know needed it.

CWShredder works very well.

However, I cannot locate a vs of Adware for W95 at
lavasoftusa. Is there someplace else I need to look for
it?

Thanks,
John Summe

John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2110301c45a08$8ffb3620$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Glen,
>
> Thank you for all the information. I have restored the
> missing dll as well as updated winsock, which I didn't
> know needed it.
>
> CWShredder works very well.
>
> However, I cannot locate a vs of Adware for W95 at
> lavasoftusa. Is there someplace else I need to look for
> it?

They are all here

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=adaware

Just install the version they have....it works in Win95 as well. You need to have
Winsock 2 installed, which you say you now have, and you *may* need Visual basic 6
run-time libraries installed. You will know when you try to run it.....if it is
missing something, it will complain.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloadfaq.html
Download and install the Visual Basic 6 Run-time libraries from the link there.

Alternately, you can go directly here, and download from the link in the article:
VBRun60sp5.exe Installs Visual Basic 6.0 Run-Time Files:
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290887

While at the javacoolsoftware site, you should also install Spyware Blaster:

You will also need both files listed at
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloadfaq.html
for that to run.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Glen,
>
> Thank you for all the information. I have restored the
> missing dll as well as updated winsock, which I didn't
> know needed it.
>
> CWShredder works very well.
>
> However, I cannot locate a vs of Adware for W95 at
> lavasoftusa. Is there someplace else I need to look for
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> John Summe

Unfortunately, you cannot download any updated reference files for any of the old
versions, rendering them fairly useless. The latest build will work on Win95 as
long as Winsock 2 and perhaps VB 6 run-times are installed.
--

glee <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:#RwtWnhWEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Unfortunately, you cannot download any updated reference files for any of the old
> versions, rendering them fairly useless. The latest build will work on Win95 as
> long as Winsock 2 and perhaps VB 6 run-times are installed.

Has anyone ever actually tried downloading the current REFLIST.REF
and using it with an older version that you know of?

> glee <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately, you cannot download any updated reference files for any of the
old
> > versions, rendering them fairly useless. The latest build will work on Win95 as
> > long as Winsock 2 and perhaps VB 6 run-times are installed.
>
> Has anyone ever actually tried downloading the current REFLIST.REF
> and using it with an older version that you know of?

You are elected by unanimous vote...let us know if it works. <g>
--

glee <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:#pwCRniWEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Hugh Candlin" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > glee <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Unfortunately, you cannot download any updated reference files for any of the
> old
> > > versions, rendering them fairly useless. The latest build will work on Win95 as
> > > long as Winsock 2 and perhaps VB 6 run-times are installed.
> >
> > Has anyone ever actually tried downloading the current REFLIST.REF
> > and using it with an older version that you know of?
>
> You are elected by unanimous vote...let us know if it works. <g>
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

To plagiarize and mangle the immortal words of William Sherman

If elected, I will not serve. However, if nominated,
I will [grin, duck and] run [very, very fast].

Glen,

I cannot get AdWare to install. A small blue window pops
up informing me "Initializing Wise Installation wizard"
then goes away and nothing happens. I installed the VB6
files as instructed. I tried installing adware several
times after doing virus scans and running CWShredder and
rebooting, but still nothing. Do I need this up and
runnning before I download and use the SpyBot stuff?

John

Hmmm. There are some malware that actually prevent the installation of virus
scanners and some programs such as Ad-Aware or SpyBot. it is not necessary to
install Ad-Aware before SpyBot, but it is possible that you may also have trouble
installing SpyBot, if this is the case. Try it.

You may end up having to go right to CWShredder and Hijack This, if you cannot get
the others to install.
--

"John Summe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Glen,
>
> I cannot get AdWare to install. A small blue window pops
> up informing me "Initializing Wise Installation wizard"
> then goes away and nothing happens. I installed the VB6
> files as instructed. I tried installing adware several
> times after doing virus scans and running CWShredder and
> rebooting, but still nothing. Do I need this up and
> runnning before I download and use the SpyBot stuff?
>
> John

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:30:29 -0700, "John"

>However, I cannot locate a vs of Adware for W95 at
>lavasoftusa. Is there someplace else I need to look?

Both AdAware 6 and Spybot nominally require Winsock 2 before they will
run on Windows 95. I say "nominally", because all you need do is put
a copy of two Winsock 2 code files (WS2Help.dll and WS2_32.dll) in the
base dir of Spybot and AdAware 6, and they are happy even if Winsock 2
is not actually installed in Windows.

Some other anti-commercial-malware apps (e.g. CWShredder and other
from the same site) require the runtime of Visual Basic 6, which can
be downloaded from there or from links from there to MS.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

John Summe wrote:

> Glen,
>
> I cannot get AdWare to install. A small blue window pops
> up informing me "Initializing Wise Installation wizard"
> then goes away and nothing happens. I installed the VB6
> files as instructed. I tried installing adware several
> times after doing virus scans and running CWShredder and
> rebooting, but still nothing. Do I need this up and
> runnning before I download and use the SpyBot stuff?

Sorry for interjecting so late here. :)

I had the same problem trying to install Ad-Aware 6.1 on Windows 95B
after doing a clean re-install of Windows recently. However, version 6.0
installs fine on Win95 (though Lavasoft says Win98+ in sys.req.). I had
version 6.0 on a CD from a computer magazine I had lying around.
Afterwards, I just ran the update to get the latest reference file. No
problem!

In conclusion: Ad-Aware works fine on Windows 95 through version 6.0.
With Ad-Aware version 6.1 it seems that Win95-users once again are left
behind.

--
/ Frank, Sweden.

I have had Ad-Aware 6.181 installed on Win95B since that build came out....no
problem whatsoever.
--

":Frank Ö" <never@heterosexualNO$PAM.com> wrote in message
> John Summe wrote:
> >
> > Glen,
> >
> > I cannot get AdWare to install. A small blue window pops
> > up informing me "Initializing Wise Installation wizard"
> > then goes away and nothing happens. I installed the VB6
> > files as instructed. I tried installing adware several
> > times after doing virus scans and running CWShredder and
> > rebooting, but still nothing. Do I need this up and
> > runnning before I download and use the SpyBot stuff?
>
> Sorry for interjecting so late here. :)
>
> I had the same problem trying to install Ad-Aware 6.1 on Windows 95B
> after doing a clean re-install of Windows recently. However, version 6.0
> installs fine on Win95 (though Lavasoft says Win98+ in sys.req.). I had
> version 6.0 on a CD from a computer magazine I had lying around.
> Afterwards, I just ran the update to get the latest reference file. No
> problem!
>
> In conclusion: Ad-Aware works fine on Windows 95 through version 6.0.
> With Ad-Aware version 6.1 it seems that Win95-users once again are left
> behind.
>
> --
> / Frank, Sweden.

You can get a virus removal from google by searching for
stinger , copy to floppy and run text.

glee wrote:

> I have had Ad-Aware 6.181 installed on Win95B since that build came out....no
> problem whatsoever.

Hmm ... That makes me a bit nervous/paranoid. :) Since I had the same
problem as John Summe, when I double click the install file of 6.181,
the little blue splash screen pops up ... then nothing. No message that
it cannot install, nothing running in the background. Just died.

But 6.0 build 160 installs and works just fine.

--
/ Frank, Sweden.

I wonder why....did you try downloading it freash and installing again? Where did
you get the download?
--

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:00:12 -0700, "John Summe" <johnsumme@fuse.net>

>First, upon boot up I get a msg that WS2_32.DLL is
>missing. I cannot locate such a file on W95 system CD.

WS2_32.DLL and some other "Help" DLL are the Winsock 2 upgrade, which
isn't part of Win95 but can be added to it.

Neither Spybot 1.2 (haven't tested Spybot 1.3 on this) nor AdAware
6.181 will run without these two Winsock 2 files being present, which
creates the impression they won't work on Win95. But if you place the
two Winsock 2 .DLL in the same dir as these apps - even tho Winsock 2
is not actually installed - they will work in Win95.

<snip of malware behaviour snipped>

glee wrote:
> I wonder why....did you try downloading it freash and installing again? Where did
> you get the download?

I got the download from www.lavasoft.de as usual. Got the same file for
my new computer with Windows XP, and it installed just fine.

Will try a fresh download, maybe from Download.com or Lavasoft USA, and
new installation later (I'm on the new 'puter now), but last year's
version with up-to-date reference files isn't too bad for Windows 95? ;-)

--
/ Frank, Sweden.