snowpuppy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
First of all, i am new to the board so i hope i'll be cut some slack and not get flame for this :)

I have a friend who likes to do things in an eccentric manner and have decided to put his cpu and his backside case fan in the opposite direction (basically the cpu fan is blowing air into the heatsink and the backside it pushing air instead of sucking air out). He argues that fans don't really suck out the air at all so there is no point in putting them in that direction. Instead the fan can "push" the air out of the heatsink and achieve greater circulation. He even claims that temperture readings confirmed his theory.

I have never seen the readings myself and conventional practice tells me he is wrong. So is his method right? If not what are the arguements (he is really subborn so i'll need solid answers). Can one fan be switch around but not the other (case fan and/or cpu fan).

Thanks in advance

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Well, I agree somewhat with his method of blowing air onto the heatsink, as that gets cooler air onto the area that matters in a efficient manner, and forces it out the sides. But I do agree with wusy saying that you want fast, tight air moving inside the case.

To refute his argument that fans do not suck: say this, "if fans can't suck, and can only push air, where does this air that it's pushing come from?"

He'll have a hard time answering that one.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
so what did you want to know? just to give a tip? i know some people who put heatsinks on the back of theyre p4 mobos because prescotts are a B***H to cool and theyd try anything and it works and extra 3-4C deg cooling. def need the top fan because heat rises, you could even put vents in the bottomn of the case and just have a 120mm sucking from the top :)

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Right now i have jsut a AMD athlon xp 2400+ but its overclocked 7% because of my setup but its setup when i bought it as the fan blowing onto the heatsink and it stays at a steady 46C

zunaro

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
@wusy: Cut one or two 150mm or 120mm holes and cover them with a fan guard :) Or maybe a fanguard/filter, custom fanguard, etc...

As far as the airflow direction, snowpuppy, the only way I can give a solid answer is if I knew more about his setup. (what case, heatsink, etc.)