RAM timings 1T or 2T

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Hello all, I currently have a DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR mb with 2 sticks of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO so that gives me one gig of ram. My question is will I have to change the timings of the RAM to 2T if I buy another set of the same exact RAM? thanks for your help.... 8)

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Chances are it won't work at all.
If it work solidly on 2T, you are lucky.
If it work solidly on 1T, try your luck at 6/49.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
to corsair's website. they have this forum that is hosted full time by this guy called "ramguy". be warned though, you will see posts from people with all kinds of problems and it may make you paranoid. I planned on getting corsair 4000PT 2GB set but shyed away when i saw all of the complaints. I'm talking about that RAM not even working correctly at 200mhz and CL 2.5

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Personaly I have 2GB (1Gbx2) installed on a DFI Lanparty Expert and I have to use 2T timings. I have heard I just need to change to the orange slots, but honestly I am lazy lol.

From what I understand about AMD's memory controller, you almost forced into 2T timings with 4 sticks, but if your overclocking you'll just gain your performance back that way. When I switched to 2T timings, I didnt notice a real diffrence but I also didnt compare benchmarks before and after so take it as you will :).

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
can you tell us a little about your redline RAM? I heard its stoopid expensive and the best of the best. Can you give us your nominal voltage as well as your general feel of it?

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
can you tell us a little about your redline RAM? I heard its stoopid expensive and the best of the best. Can you give us your nominal voltage as well as your general feel of it?

well so far I have had no problems with the ram other then having to manually set the timings when I first got it the stock settings were 2-3-2-5 and I had to adjust it a little cause the system was far from stable...now everything is solid and very stable.....as far as the voltages are concerned everything at this point is stock

to the rest of those who responded, thanks ......do you think it would be a better idea to get a set of 1 gb modules instead and put them in as opposed to the 4 sticks of 512 mb modules?

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Thanks for all your input everyone. I posted on the Corsair website and the Ramguy said that it would probably not work as well as if I was to go out and buy 2 new sticks of 1gb each ram and install those instead. He said that with the CPU I am running, FX 53 939, I would be only at 333mhz and not full 400mhz ddr. How much of a difference would that make if I was oc'ing the system?

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
hey dude can you tell me how you managed to get those value ram run at 270 mhz ? what is your ram voltage cpu voltage and chipset voltage ? ı have kingston value ram cl3 and can not get over 240 though ı have vantec ram covers on them is it related to my mobo my settings or my bad luck? ( ı couldn't get over 2.4 with my venice 3200 too tried different settings but it did not work

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Well if it isnt my good friend survivor! The RAM this guy has got is very fast and very expensive. It aint no value RAM for sure. So ummm, hows it hanging in Turkey?

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I was in the same situation....I was running a P4 with 4 x 512 3200xlpro. I switched to an fx-60, and now it runs 2t, and the performance blows. I pulled out 1 gig, dropped down to 1T and saw a huge performance gain. 2 x 512 at ddr500 , 2.75V , 2.5,3,3,7 timings. 6800 in sandra. Wicked fast. Im gonna wait for better 1gig sticks to hit the market before i go back to 2 gig.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
What do you mean the performance blew? Do you mean your synthetic benchmark scores dropped or that you lost 20fps on BF2? I read on techreview that DDR running at a T2 command rate, 2.5CL2, and 2-2-3 BUT at a clock speed of say 500mhz was just as good as DDR running at a T1 command rate, 3 CL2, and 3-3-3 timings (my numbers may be off so whats the point?) My point is that tech review said the difference was not that much... Can you expound on the subject?

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Fps went up significantly, and my cpu score in 3dmark05 went from ~6500 to ~8800. Loading times are a little slower, since i dropped a gig but overall the system runs much faster at 1t

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Interesting...... I could never have imagined that. I wish i could try and perform my own tests but I opted for corsair 4000PT. SUPPOSEDLY..... it will run at 250Mhz SDR T2, CL 3, and I think 3-4 for the rest of the timings. Anandtech had a good review of it and said the timings could be tightened if it were to be dropped to PC3200 speeds. But I know that T1 rate is impossible. I am very happy to hear of your troubles!!!! Just joking. I opted for a lesser RAM to avoid the problem you are facing right now. I had no idea the difference would be so pronounced though. What about heat? Do you think having those 2 extra sticks of RAM created enough heat to reduce the stability of the RAM (if you over clocked of course). What about power consumption? Did adding the xtra sticks create any noticeable increase in power usage? Did it affect anything? I am sure inquiring minds would like to know.

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
using 4 sticks was completely stable at 250 ddr. it was just killing performance. as far as heat, i saw no problem, power was no problem. Just that damn 2t!!! Ive heard rumors of a bios update to fix that???? but like i said just rumors. What ive noticed is that no one is showing results with 4 sticks of any sized memory in any reviews. Then you get an idea of what your performance will be and its way off. I knew what the xlpros were capable of and it just wasnt there. but like i said its damn fast now!

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Indeed. I know that your RAM is highly regarded. I will tell you this: I am shocked. I have never heard of such a think. An to think that RAM is supposedly the piee of kit that gives the worst price/performance ratio. So what are you going to do with that xtra 3500XLpro set you have. Jesus. That means you almost sunk $600 on RAM right?

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
well things are good here ı should ask you about what the hell you are doing in that goddamned place (Iraq)life should be hard for you if you are in military.

ı thought he was using the same ram with me because mine is working 3-3-3-8 2t and kingston value ram but then ı realized ı was wrong becase ı misunderstood the 470, ı thought is as 270 mhz for a while but now ı became aware of that my "cheap" rams are faster then him because my rams are running at 240 mhz same with my cpu that means ddr480. ı am trully sory that ı have disappointed you. :)

G

a related question about 1T or 2T: I just put together a machine with an ASUS A8N-SLI premium and 2x1GB OCZ platinum 2-3-2-5.

The BIOS defaulted to 2T, and I'm about to switch it to 1T -- how can I test the stability at 1T? memtest86? Will it be obvious or can switching to 1T cause nagging instability issues? Right now the machine is rock solid.

thnx.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
you will understand when it doesn't work:) ı set it to 1t and after a while it crashed sometimes computer know better than us

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I guess it depends on what you want to do with all of that RAM. I know that for video encoding more/faster RAM doesnt help. But I have a DVD creator program that is RAM dependant (sort of) When you run out of memory as it is converting your files to VOBs the computer will switch over to the HDD. This will virtually pause production for 15-18 minutes. It usually happens at the 60% completion point for me (I had 768mb of RAM at that time) Who knows? Maybe is I had 1GB I would have never had to switch to the HDDs. I think more will always be better, but if kolemonkey is telling the truth, maybe we should all reevaluate whats what you know?

G

Soft Sandra Memory benchmark will do to test stability. Also to compare before and after performance.

Thanks, in fact I have done just that. My performance went up considerably in the benchmark, and the machine seems to still be rock solid. I'm surprised how much of a difference it made!