decent terrain aviodance

I recently bought the Piper Meridian, great aircraft. I love it. I am
still learning how to program the Garmin 530. Here is the question: The
Garmin has a decent mode that helps you get to the correct altitude at
the correct time. I can use it with out problem. But last night I was
flying KABQ to KLAX, descending from FL22.5 to 3000 for approach at
1000fpm. It is 2am, I can not see the terrain but I know that there are
mountains all around KLAX approach. I don't think that the Garmin 530
calculates terrain avoidance it just takes you down. So if it is the
middle of the night how can I figure out a proper decent to avoid the
mountains. Last night I did not hit anything but the night before I
never made it to KHPX cause a mountain got in the way. I have super
flight planner but its map does not have mountain elevation on it.

Thanks

Ken

More about decent terrain aviodance

    Thanks Dallas & Peter, I knew about MYAIRPLANE but for got that they
    had sectionals also, my only problem there is that you have to be on
    line to use it no way to save the whole sectional to my hard drive. I
    can not always get on line. Right now I am in Houston so it is no
    problem but soon I head back to work which is overseas, and I will not
    have access all the time. I am probably just better off purchasing the
    sectionals before I leave unless I can find away to save the whole
    sectional from MYAIRPLANE. I need to get over there and see if I can
    find away to do that,

    Thanks again

    Ken

    "g48dd"
    > middle of the night how can I figure out a proper decent to avoid the
    > mountains.

    The simple answer is that pilots are required to fly with current charts for
    the planned flight area. In real life you would use the sectional chart
    with elevation data to plan your flight.

    Dallas

    lol yeah I realize that but I do not have one. Is there a place where
    I can down load all the sectionals for US? I guess I was wondering if
    there is a nav program out there that includes mountain elevation but
    actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
    local pilot shop.

    Thanks,

    Ken

    Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    > The simple answer is that pilots are required to fly with current charts for
    > the planned flight area. In real life you would use the sectional chart
    > with elevation data to plan your flight.

    As Dallas pointed out, you need real life charts for real descent planning.

    However, the GNS430 and GNS530 GPS's that come with the better add-ons such
    as the Meridian and the A36 Bonanza have a minimum safe altitude (MSA) data
    field that you can display on the NAV1 page. This MSA is determined based
    on your present position out to about 10 miles compared to an internal
    obstacle database (man-made and natural).

    To see MSA on your NAV1 page, press and hold the CLR button until the NAV1
    page appears. Then click the MENU button and scroll down until you see
    "Change Fields" option.

    Click the ENTer button when on the choice. This will illuminate the column
    name of the first data field on the page. If you want to change that
    field, scroll the inner dial to make all the available data fields appear.
    Scroll to the MSA field, then click the ENTer button.

    Keep in mind that this MSA is only good to about 10 miles and could very
    well change to a higher altitude further up your route.

    Also, pilots who use this GPS must rely on current charts, not on the GPS,
    for terrain avoidance.

    --
    Peter

    g48dd wrote:
    > actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
    > local pilot shop.

    http://www.flightsimcentral.com/vfratlas.html

    Excellant quality WAC sectionals in book form, covers the lower 48, Baja,
    and Bahamas - perfect for the desktop..

    Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
    Don

    "g48dd"
    > I can down load all the sectionals for US?

    Sure:
    http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.php

    Dallas

    Hi Ken,

    Would you be looking for these? But then you also need FSMMovingMap 1.2.
    Hope that helps.

    Loek

    "g48dd" <g48dd@forums.simradar.com> schreef in bericht
    > lol yeah I realize that but I do not have one. Is there a place where
    > I can down load all the sectionals for US? I guess I was wondering if
    > there is a nav program out there that includes mountain elevation but
    > actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
    > local pilot shop.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    Wow what a good story, yes holding a map on your knee or clipboard
    would be very realistic consider that most pilots do not have all these
    real cool glass avionics. Although I did see that there are moving maps
    available in palm held versions at very reasonable prices. Right now I
    am in a time crunch leaving sometime this week for Iraq. I don't have a
    car here in Houston and a taxi is waaaaayy to expensive so I am still
    surfing the web, There is a moving map that you download sectionals to.
    I found the maps but I can't find the download for the program that
    lets you view them.

    On my way back to the states I was being transported by the marines in
    CH-46 tailgate down. There were a lot of other civilian contractors on
    board and both front doors were open for the door gunners. I told the
    gal sitting next me hang on its about to get real loud and windy. We
    went up and away, it got windy and she decides it is better to
    rearrange her stuff and make sure loose stuff is in her gear bag. Bad
    time to be making this decision. she opens her purse to pull out her
    passport and put it in her gear bag, second mistake. She gets
    distracted when the 50 cal. on the right side opens up. She doesn't
    realize it is just a test fire. Distraction leads to loose passport
    wooooossshh there it goes lol needless to say she was delayed on her
    R&R trying to get out of the country.

    Ken

    "g48dd"
    > I am probably just better off purchasing the
    > sectionals before I leave

    Yeah, the real thing is better anyway for a "real" experience. Try this...
    take the sectional and sit in a very small chair while simming. Try to open
    the map to the part you need using nothing but your knees for a flat
    surface. :-)

    You might check with a small airport's FBO to see if they will sell out of
    date sectionals at a discount.

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > "g48dd"
    >
    >>I am probably just better off purchasing the
    >>sectionals before I leave
    >

    > Yeah, the real thing is better anyway for a "real" experience. Try this...
    > take the sectional and sit in a very small chair while simming. Try to open
    > the map to the part you need using nothing but your knees for a flat
    > surface. :-)
    >

    > You might check with a small airport's FBO to see if they will sell out of
    > date sectionals at a discount.
    >
    > Dallas

    Took an OH-58 home one weekend and decided to leave the doors back at Ft
    Knox. After about an hour I decided things didn't look quite right.
    Pulled the sectional from under the seat and in the process of trying to
    open it the wind caught it and away it went. Luckily it went out the
    right door so it missed the tail rotor. (can you imagine trying to
    explain that?) Thank goodness I had a working ADF so I tuned in WPAR and
    soon picked up the signal. Homed in and landed in my Grand Parents
    north 40. Well, it was west and it was maybe an acre.

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    "g48dd"
    > There is a moving map that you download sectionals to.
    > I found the maps but I can't find the download for the program that
    > lets you view them.

    I believe this is what you seek:
    http://www.ranainside.com/software_flightsim_movingmap.html

    More sectionals here:
    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=matt+fox+rana&CatID=root

    Help forum here:
    http://softwares.ranainside.com/forum

    Just click on Moving Map

    Say hi to Saddam for us! :-)

    Dallas

    g48dd <g48dd@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

    > I am probably just better off purchasing the
    > sectionals before I leave unless I can find away to save the whole
    > sectional from MYAIRPLANE. I need to get over there and see if I can
    > find away to do that,

    Ken, another option is to search eBay for expired sectionals or stop by
    your local airport and post a sign on the bulletin board asking for them.
    Active pilots typically have a stash of expired sectionals.

    Where do you like to fly in the sim?

    --
    Peter

    I think Dallas has provided the solution here. Right now I am
    downloading FSMMovingMap v1.2. and all sectionals. I will get it
    started tonight and let everyone know how it goes. If you drew a line
    from DC to Chicago to Winnipeg, MB Canada and then straight North. I
    usually fly west and south of that line. Just like when I owned my own
    truck. That is the area I stayed in 90% of the time except when I was
    forced to the NE because I had no good paying loads west which was not
    often.

    Ken

    "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    > g48dd wrote:
    >> actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
    >> local pilot shop.
    >
    > http://www.flightsimcentral.com/vfratlas.html
    >
    > Excellant quality WAC sectionals in book form, covers the lower 48, Baja,
    > and Bahamas - perfect for the desktop..

    What is the scale of the sectionals in this atlas as compared to the
    regular, folded-paper VFR sectional charts that pilots use? I'm wondering
    by how much they had to shrink it down to fit it all in.

    Matt B. wrote:

    > What is the scale of the sectionals in this atlas as compared to the
    > regular, folded-paper VFR sectional charts that pilots use? I'm
    > wondering by how much they had to shrink it down to fit it all in.

    1" = 14 nm on the WAC's. Not sure if that's the same for the actual folding
    version, but it looks about right.. Plus several dozen terminal charts,
    class C airspace, where the major airports have a full page. Lots of other
    information included, and well worth the price!

Garmin Microsoft Video Games Product