Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

decent terrain aviodance

Tags:
  • Garmin
  • Microsoft
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 6:47:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I recently bought the Piper Meridian, great aircraft. I love it. I am
still learning how to program the Garmin 530. Here is the question: The
Garmin has a decent mode that helps you get to the correct altitude at
the correct time. I can use it with out problem. But last night I was
flying KABQ to KLAX, descending from FL22.5 to 3000 for approach at
1000fpm. It is 2am, I can not see the terrain but I know that there are
mountains all around KLAX approach. I don't think that the Garmin 530
calculates terrain avoidance it just takes you down. So if it is the
middle of the night how can I figure out a proper decent to avoid the
mountains. Last night I did not hit anything but the night before I
never made it to KHPX cause a mountain got in the way. I have super
flight planner but its map does not have mountain elevation on it.

Thanks

Ken

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!

More about : decent terrain aviodance

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks Dallas & Peter, I knew about MYAIRPLANE but for got that they
had sectionals also, my only problem there is that you have to be on
line to use it no way to save the whole sectional to my hard drive. I
can not always get on line. Right now I am in Houston so it is no
problem but soon I head back to work which is overseas, and I will not
have access all the time. I am probably just better off purchasing the
sectionals before I leave unless I can find away to save the whole
sectional from MYAIRPLANE. I need to get over there and see if I can
find away to do that,

Thanks again

Ken

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
April 9, 2005 12:00:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"g48dd"
> middle of the night how can I figure out a proper decent to avoid the
> mountains.

The simple answer is that pilots are required to fly with current charts for
the planned flight area. In real life you would use the sectional chart
with elevation data to plan your flight.

Dallas
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

lol yeah I realize that but I do not have one. Is there a place where
I can down load all the sectionals for US? I guess I was wondering if
there is a nav program out there that includes mountain elevation but
actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
local pilot shop.

Thanks,

Ken

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> The simple answer is that pilots are required to fly with current charts for
> the planned flight area. In real life you would use the sectional chart
> with elevation data to plan your flight.

As Dallas pointed out, you need real life charts for real descent planning.

However, the GNS430 and GNS530 GPS's that come with the better add-ons such
as the Meridian and the A36 Bonanza have a minimum safe altitude (MSA) data
field that you can display on the NAV1 page. This MSA is determined based
on your present position out to about 10 miles compared to an internal
obstacle database (man-made and natural).

To see MSA on your NAV1 page, press and hold the CLR button until the NAV1
page appears. Then click the MENU button and scroll down until you see
"Change Fields" option.

Click the ENTer button when on the choice. This will illuminate the column
name of the first data field on the page. If you want to change that
field, scroll the inner dial to make all the available data fields appear.
Scroll to the MSA field, then click the ENTer button.

Keep in mind that this MSA is only good to about 10 miles and could very
well change to a higher altitude further up your route.

Also, pilots who use this GPS must rely on current charts, not on the GPS,
for terrain avoidance.

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
April 9, 2005 12:00:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

g48dd wrote:
> actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
> local pilot shop.

http://www.flightsimcentral.com/vfratlas.html

Excellant quality WAC sectionals in book form, covers the lower 48, Baja,
and Bahamas - perfect for the desktop..

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 3:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Ken,

Would you be looking for these? But then you also need FSMMovingMap 1.2.
Hope that helps.

Loek

"g48dd" <g48dd@forums.simradar.com> schreef in bericht
news:1112990948.26974@forums.simradar.com...
> lol yeah I realize that but I do not have one. Is there a place where
> I can down load all the sectionals for US? I guess I was wondering if
> there is a nav program out there that includes mountain elevation but
> actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
> local pilot shop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Wow what a good story, yes holding a map on your knee or clipboard
would be very realistic consider that most pilots do not have all these
real cool glass avionics. Although I did see that there are moving maps
available in palm held versions at very reasonable prices. Right now I
am in a time crunch leaving sometime this week for Iraq. I don't have a
car here in Houston and a taxi is waaaaayy to expensive so I am still
surfing the web, There is a moving map that you download sectionals to.
I found the maps but I can't find the download for the program that
lets you view them.

On my way back to the states I was being transported by the marines in
CH-46 tailgate down. There were a lot of other civilian contractors on
board and both front doors were open for the door gunners. I told the
gal sitting next me hang on its about to get real loud and windy. We
went up and away, it got windy and she decides it is better to
rearrange her stuff and make sure loose stuff is in her gear bag. Bad
time to be making this decision. she opens her purse to pull out her
passport and put it in her gear bag, second mistake. She gets
distracted when the 50 cal. on the right side opens up. She doesn't
realize it is just a test fire. Distraction leads to loose passport
wooooossshh there it goes lol needless to say she was delayed on her
R&R trying to get out of the country.

Ken

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
April 10, 2005 4:02:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"g48dd"
> I am probably just better off purchasing the
> sectionals before I leave

Yeah, the real thing is better anyway for a "real" experience. Try this...
take the sectional and sit in a very small chair while simming. Try to open
the map to the part you need using nothing but your knees for a flat
surface. :-)


You might check with a small airport's FBO to see if they will sell out of
date sectionals at a discount.

Dallas
April 10, 2005 4:11:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> "g48dd"
>
>>I am probably just better off purchasing the
>>sectionals before I leave
>
>
> Yeah, the real thing is better anyway for a "real" experience. Try this...
> take the sectional and sit in a very small chair while simming. Try to open
> the map to the part you need using nothing but your knees for a flat
> surface. :-)
>
>
> You might check with a small airport's FBO to see if they will sell out of
> date sectionals at a discount.
>
> Dallas
>
>

Took an OH-58 home one weekend and decided to leave the doors back at Ft
Knox. After about an hour I decided things didn't look quite right.
Pulled the sectional from under the seat and in the process of trying to
open it the wind caught it and away it went. Luckily it went out the
right door so it missed the tail rotor. (can you imagine trying to
explain that?) Thank goodness I had a working ADF so I tuned in WPAR and
soon picked up the signal. Homed in and landed in my Grand Parents
north 40. Well, it was west and it was maybe an acre.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
April 10, 2005 8:48:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"g48dd"
> There is a moving map that you download sectionals to.
> I found the maps but I can't find the download for the program that
> lets you view them.

I believe this is what you seek:
http://www.ranainside.com/software_flightsim_movingmap....

More sectionals here:
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=matt+fox...

Help forum here:
http://softwares.ranainside.com/forum

Just click on Moving Map





Say hi to Saddam for us! :-)



Dallas
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:39:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

g48dd <g48dd@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

> I am probably just better off purchasing the
> sectionals before I leave unless I can find away to save the whole
> sectional from MYAIRPLANE. I need to get over there and see if I can
> find away to do that,

Ken, another option is to search eBay for expired sectionals or stop by
your local airport and post a sign on the bulletin board asking for them.
Active pilots typically have a stash of expired sectionals.

Where do you like to fly in the sim?

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I think Dallas has provided the solution here. Right now I am
downloading FSMMovingMap v1.2. and all sectionals. I will get it
started tonight and let everyone know how it goes. If you drew a line
from DC to Chicago to Winnipeg, MB Canada and then straight North. I
usually fly west and south of that line. Just like when I owned my own
truck. That is the area I stayed in 90% of the time except when I was
forced to the NE because I had no good paying loads west which was not
often.

Ken

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:57:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
news:7FC5e.3391$up2.3050@okepread01...
> g48dd wrote:
>> actually a sectional would be better. Guess I could order one from the
>> local pilot shop.
>
> http://www.flightsimcentral.com/vfratlas.html
>
> Excellant quality WAC sectionals in book form, covers the lower 48, Baja,
> and Bahamas - perfect for the desktop..

What is the scale of the sectionals in this atlas as compared to the
regular, folded-paper VFR sectional charts that pilots use? I'm wondering
by how much they had to shrink it down to fit it all in.
April 11, 2005 11:41:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Matt B. wrote:
...
>
> What is the scale of the sectionals in this atlas as compared to the
> regular, folded-paper VFR sectional charts that pilots use? I'm
> wondering by how much they had to shrink it down to fit it all in.

1" = 14 nm on the WAC's. Not sure if that's the same for the actual folding
version, but it looks about right.. Plus several dozen terminal charts,
class C airspace, where the major airports have a full page. Lots of other
information included, and well worth the price!
!