Help!!!!! "Invalid system disk" error when starting PC

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 26, 2004 2:36:41 PM

Hi,
just hoping someone can help. Not sure what happened but
when I try to start my PC I get an "Invalid System Disk"
error. I have checked my boot sequence and it is booting
hard disk first. Also I dont have a boot disk I can use.
Can anyone help me out with this???

John.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 5:52:27 PM

When this happens, the reason is usually that someone left an
unbootable floppy disk in drive A:. Although you say it boots from the
harddisk, I suggest that you check the contents of that floppy drive.

You can obtain a Windows Startup Disk at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Also, the Ultimate Boot Disk will: Restore corrupt system files; Flash
your PC bios; Scan your hard drive for viruses; Install or re-install
Windows; Extract cabinet files from the Windows CD; Scan your hard
drive for errors; Boot into the Windows graphical user interface; Run
DOS disk utilities like Partition Magic or Ghost; Partition your hard
drive; Backup your registry or transfer system files. 626kB. Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000. Free at:

http://www.startdisk.com/Web1/ubd/ubd.htm

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 6:28:54 PM

This is caused when one (or more) of three critical files becomes corrupted.
To replace these files, you need a boot disk with the program "sys.com" on
it.
You can use another computer to go to www.bootdisk.com and down load a file
that, when started, will make a boot disk for Windows 95.
When your computer boots, you should be give a clue as to how to enter
System Setup. There you have to change the boot sequence to start from the
floppy before the hard drive.
With the boot disk in watch the screen to see if it makes a RAM drive. The
RAM drive is most often where the file "sys.com" is located. (If it makes a
RAM drive, pay attention to the drive letter assigned - most likely D).
Then when the boot disk is done loading, type in the following
X:\sys C:
where X is the drive letter assigned to the RAM drive. Note the space
between sys and C
If it works, you will be given the message "system transferred" or similar.
Then you should be able to remove the floppy and reboot to your C drive.
Good luck

!