Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive showing half it's size

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2006 11:53:15 AM

As a few of you might know, I just recently acquired a new system, but I'm having some frustrating problems with the hard-drive.

I have an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ULi M1695 Motherboard, 1gb of Mushkin DDR400 RAM, an AMD 64 3200+ Venice, and a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive.

All of it works and posts and shows up in BIOS. However, trying to install XP I've had problems with windows setup recognizing the drive properly.

-I can get the drive to show up from the SATAII socket in IDE mode, but only 130 of my 250gb drive shows up.

-I can get the drive to show up from a normal SATA socket with RAID turned off, but again - only 130gb of the 250gb show.

-I have tried without success to use the third party SATAII driver to install. This is tedious since my brother's computer lacks important equipment (A floppy drive), so I've had to swap the one we have back and forth. The tree of SATA2 driver installations is completely undocumented and a little confusing; The directories on the CD that came with my mobo are like this:

[code:1:D 38cffc05c]+SATA2
+JMICRON
+XP64(V109)
+X32
+X64
+XP_2K(V207)
+X32
+X64[/code:1:D 38cffc05c]

Documentation in both directories is simple enough:
---
Run Install.exe to install 32/64 bit driver for windows 2000/xp/2003
No Win98/me driver

Jx32.exe - install 32 bit driver for windows 2000/XP/2003
Jx64.exe - install 64 bit driver for windows XP/2003

If you want to build pre-install disk for windows,
copy directory "X32" and "X64" and file "JMicron", "txtsetup.oem" to floppy disk.
---
Both instances where I got the drive to post in Windows Setup are documented in the manual as not needing a bootdisk.

I think the XP64 is for Athlon 64 chips rather than WinXP 64, otherwise I'm uncertain why they would include 32-Bit Drivers for Win2k in the tree. I've tried installing the X32 under the XP64 directory (I figured, 32-bit windows and Athlong 64), and no luck. Also, my only floppy died afterwards, so now I'm either going to have to get a new one or get it working without.

Is my drive broken for only showing 1/2 it's capacity? Will this work with a different one of the drivers I grabbed? Help!
January 26, 2006 12:21:31 PM

chek jumper config on the HDD
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2006 2:31:33 PM

I think I have heard rumors of pre-SP2 XP versions having issues with drives larger than 137GB, or thereabouts? (I can't confirm them, but it can't hurt to check on their validity)
Related resources
January 26, 2006 2:49:36 PM

Quote:
I think I have heard rumors of pre-SP2 XP versions having issues with drives larger than 137GB, or thereabouts? (I can't confirm them, but it can't hurt to check on their validity)

Exactly, there was an update in Service Pack 2 (i forget the actual term) that allowed the OS to address the space over the previous LBA limitation of 137GB. There is technicly nothing wrong with your system you just need to slip steam SP2 into your windows install.

I personaly have never had to do that, but I know there was a THG article about it several months back (maybe as far back as April 2005 but dont hold me to it lol). It explains exactly what to do and how to do it. If you can not find that article try searching maximumpc.com as I remember they published one as well (including how to add your raid drivers).
January 26, 2006 3:19:09 PM

As suggested, first check the jumper as many drives have a 'limit capacity' jumper set from the factory as some older bioses won't see it at all without the jumper.

Also, as mentioned, prior to SP1 XP could only recognize drives up to 130GB. My 200GB drive is only recognized as 130 during setup but once XP loads and SP2 is installed it see the whole 200GB (well, 187 formatted but that's another story!)

Are you able to load windows at all? If so you should see the whole thing once you apply SP1 or 2.

Google slipstreaming windows for info on how to make a SP2 disc.
January 26, 2006 3:42:52 PM

Well not sure whats happending to your HD however I'm currently running XP on Service pak 1 and it has no problems seeing the 200gb drive. However my machine is partitioned so I have the 200gb drive split with the largest partition being 80GB.

You may want to try to split the drive its also generaly a good idea to seperate the boot partition from the data.
January 26, 2006 4:14:48 PM

i am having th same problem. How do i fix this problem. I am running service pack 2. Next question how do i partition the harddrive. I have a 200 gigabyte western digital sata.
January 26, 2006 4:42:02 PM

You must do the slipsteam method and nistall windows from this new image you've made
-- or --
Just format and install with a smaller than 137gb partition and after windows is installed see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
you have to add this registry value and reboot and POOF! the rest of the drive shows up as unformatted.

Hope this helps it's what I ended up doing.
January 26, 2006 4:48:22 PM

i am running windows xp this would not apply. how do i fix this problem for windows xp w/ sp2
January 26, 2006 4:59:09 PM

What does the BIOS show for the drive size? If the BIOS shows 130GB (give or take) then it could be the 'limit capacity' jumper setting on the drive.

I forget how long ago was it when the bios typically didn't recognize drives over 130GB, but you might need to flash the bios also...

(Yeah, I realize that this appears to be a fairly modern board, but who knows...)

As far as partitioning the drive, Rt Click on My Computer and Left click on Manage. Click on Disk Manager. from there, if windows recognises the correct size, you can extend the primary partition to fill the disk. I don't remember exactly how you do that as I have never actually had to do it.

Ikaz,
Can you elaborate on why it's better to seperate your boot partition from your data on the same drive? Everything I have heard says that only applies if you use seperate physical drives, not just partitions.
January 26, 2006 5:02:59 PM

well if you already have your OS installed you would have to get a 3rd party tool like Partition manager to resize your drive. Since I don't have your problem I realy can't say that after you resize it you will see the rest of your drive.

One thing to note for my PC I use to have an 80GB drive I replaced it with a 200GB (both WD drive not sata but IDE though). I basicaly used there ghosting software that you can download from there website to compy my old partitions to the new drive. I just had to make sure the partitions that I was coping had equal or more space on the target drive (200GB drive). I'm also running XP pro but that shouldn't make a difference.

If you are installing new just make sure to specify your partition size don't take the defaults (its been awhile since I installed XP so I can remember if you need to select advance option during the install or not I realy don't think about it when I do it). Just make the installation drive like 20GB or something and don't format the rest of the free space until your OS is installed and updated.
!