Unable to install Generic USB Hub

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 28, 2004 12:57:02 PM

I'm running Windows 95 with OSR 2.1 on a 400Mhz Asus motherboard. I had a PS/2 port failure that forced me to install a USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine during POST and in DOS mode. But, it is not recognized after Windows loads. I installed Microsoft's USB Fix, but that didn't reslove the problem.

The USB Root Hub and PCI to USB Bridge installed successfully and without conflict. However, while PnP detects a USB Generic Hub, installing it consistently fails. (I assume the failure to install this additional USB hub is the reason the keyboard doesn't work in Windows.)

The hardware installer detects the appropriate drivers (whether on the installation CD or in C:\Windows\System). But, when I click Finish to install the driver, I get the blue screen of death - "A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C2397F8E in VxD uhcd(01) + 00004A2E." I've been unable to find any information about this VxD or uhcd problem, either on Microsoft's support site or on a Web search.

I can't afford a new motherboard/CPU at this time. However, I'm trying to upgrade the OS (to 98se or ME). Unfortunately, I need the keyboard to do the preliminary backups and maintenance tasks prior to upgrading.

Is anyone familiar with this problem, and have an idea how to solve it? Thanks!
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 3:13:38 AM

Not familiar with your particular problem in OSR2.x, but does the keyboard
specifically state it works with Win95B, and does it have specific Win95B drivers?

In additon to the original MS USB Supplement:
http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/Win95USB%20SuppUpdate/...
have you also installed the second USB update?
http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/Win95USB%20SuppUpdate/...

See the section on installing USB here:
http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows 95 with OSR 2.1 on a 400Mhz Asus motherboard. I had a PS/2
port failure that forced me to install a USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine
during POST and in DOS mode. But, it is not recognized after Windows loads. I
installed Microsoft's USB Fix, but that didn't reslove the problem.

> The USB Root Hub and PCI to USB Bridge installed successfully and without
conflict. However, while PnP detects a USB Generic Hub, installing it consistently
fails. (I assume the failure to install this additional USB hub is the reason the
keyboard doesn't work in Windows.)

> The hardware installer detects the appropriate drivers (whether on the
installation CD or in C:\Windows\System). But, when I click Finish to install the
driver, I get the blue screen of death - "A fatal exception OE has occurred at
0028:C2397F8E in VxD uhcd(01) + 00004A2E." I've been unable to find any information
about this VxD or uhcd problem, either on Microsoft's support site or on a Web
search.

> I can't afford a new motherboard/CPU at this time. However, I'm trying to upgrade
the OS (to 98se or ME). Unfortunately, I need the keyboard to do the preliminary
backups and maintenance tasks prior to upgrading.

> Is anyone familiar with this problem, and have an idea how to solve it? Thanks!
June 30, 2004 5:26:01 PM

Thanks for the links Glee. I installed the second USB supplement as you suggested, cleared extraneous Device Manager drivers, updated the system BIOS, and followed the installation directions, as per USBman.com. The keyboard now works in Safe Mode as well as DOS. But, it still locks up the computer when Windows loads. And, if I boot the computer without the keyboard plugged in, then plug it in after the system is fully booted, it also locks up.

I don't know how to view the processes running in Windows 95. (Very few items appear when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL.) Is there a way to load devices/processes one-by-one so I can see what's causing the conflict? Do you have any other ideas?

I appreciate your advice,
-Robert

"glee" wrote:

> Not familiar with your particular problem in OSR2.x, but does the keyboard
> specifically state it works with Win95B, and does it have specific Win95B drivers?
>
> In additon to the original MS USB Supplement:
> http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/Win95USB%20SuppUpdate/...
> have you also installed the second USB update?
> http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/Win95USB%20SuppUpdate/...
>
> See the section on installing USB here:
> http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running Windows 95 with OSR 2.1 on a 400Mhz Asus motherboard. I had a PS/2
> port failure that forced me to install a USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine
> during POST and in DOS mode. But, it is not recognized after Windows loads. I
> installed Microsoft's USB Fix, but that didn't reslove the problem.
> >
> > The USB Root Hub and PCI to USB Bridge installed successfully and without
> conflict. However, while PnP detects a USB Generic Hub, installing it consistently
> fails. (I assume the failure to install this additional USB hub is the reason the
> keyboard doesn't work in Windows.)
> >
> > The hardware installer detects the appropriate drivers (whether on the
> installation CD or in C:\Windows\System). But, when I click Finish to install the
> driver, I get the blue screen of death - "A fatal exception OE has occurred at
> 0028:C2397F8E in VxD uhcd(01) + 00004A2E." I've been unable to find any information
> about this VxD or uhcd problem, either on Microsoft's support site or on a Web
> search.
> >
> > I can't afford a new motherboard/CPU at this time. However, I'm trying to upgrade
> the OS (to 98se or ME). Unfortunately, I need the keyboard to do the preliminary
> backups and maintenance tasks prior to upgrading.
> >
> > Is anyone familiar with this problem, and have an idea how to solve it? Thanks!

July 1, 2004 4:07:18 AM

Are the drivers you are using specifically for Win95?
Does the USB keyboard have a built-in USB hub? That may be what is trying to be
detected.

Do you have access to another USB keyboard that you can use to see if you get the
same error?

You can try step by step confirmation for the boot menu, and other methods here:
Troubleshooting Windows 95 Using Safe Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=156126
--

> [...]
the
> > keyboard doesn't work in Windows.)
> > >
> > > The hardware installer detects the appropriate drivers (whether on the
> > installation CD or in C:\Windows\System). But, when I click Finish to install
the
> > driver, I get the blue screen of death - "A fatal exception OE has occurred at
> > 0028:C2397F8E in VxD uhcd(01) + 00004A2E." I've been unable to find any
information
> > about this VxD or uhcd problem, either on Microsoft's support site or on a Web
> > search.
> > >
> > > I can't afford a new motherboard/CPU at this time. However, I'm trying to
upgrade
> > the OS (to 98se or ME). Unfortunately, I need the keyboard to do the preliminary
> > backups and maintenance tasks prior to upgrading.
> > >
> > > Is anyone familiar with this problem, and have an idea how to solve it?

July 1, 2004 4:20:16 AM

I forgot to add, for you question concerning processes:

Try using something like Process Explorer from
http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml
or
WinTop, from the Windows 95 Kernel Toys:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/W...

Double-click the Kernel Toys file in an empty folder to extract the files.
Right-click the WinTop.inf file, click Install on the menu that appears, then click
Start>Run, and type Wintop.
--
> [...]

the
> > keyboard doesn't work in Windows.)
> > >
> > > The hardware installer detects the appropriate drivers (whether on the
> > installation CD or in C:\Windows\System). But, when I click Finish to install
the
> > driver, I get the blue screen of death - "A fatal exception OE has occurred at
> > 0028:C2397F8E in VxD uhcd(01) + 00004A2E." I've been unable to find any
information
> > about this VxD or uhcd problem, either on Microsoft's support site or on a Web
> > search.
> > >
> > > I can't afford a new motherboard/CPU at this time. However, I'm trying to
upgrade
> > the OS (to 98se or ME). Unfortunately, I need the keyboard to do the preliminary
> > backups and maintenance tasks prior to upgrading.
> > >
> > > Is anyone familiar with this problem, and have an idea how to solve it?

July 1, 2004 4:28:56 PM

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

A usb keyboard will *not* work with Windows 95, any version. A usb
keyboard, mouse or joystick require the "human interface device"
(HID) device drivers, which are only present in Windows 98 or higher.
Don't waste your time trying to get it to work with Win95. The reason
it works in safe mode is that the BIOS support for the keyboard in
"real mode" carries over into safe mode, where no drivers are loaded.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 3:10:07 AM

That's interesting, because I have read reports of people using USB keyboard or
mouse with OSR2.1, after installing the Win95-specific driver for the USB device.

According to this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbwin98.mspx

"The HID class driver offers support for any HID-compliant device. The HID class
driver is the basis for complete, built-in support for USB keyboards, mice, and game
controllers (just plug them in and they work). In OSR 2.1, a one-off, unique,
device-specific device must be provided for each input device plugged into a USB
connector; this potentially compromises the interoperability of devices."

--

"Mr.Plop" <plop44@ugcwest.net> wrote in message news:cc1e4f055v@news2.newsguy.com...

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> A usb keyboard will *not* work with Windows 95, any version. A usb
> keyboard, mouse or joystick require the "human interface device"
> (HID) device drivers, which are only present in Windows 98 or higher.
> Don't waste your time trying to get it to work with Win95. The reason
> it works in safe mode is that the BIOS support for the keyboard in
> "real mode" carries over into safe mode, where no drivers are loaded.

July 6, 2004 6:55:02 PM

That IS surprising, because Microsoft's own USB site claims OSR2.1 is USB capable. Nevertheless, I've spent too many days trying to get this to work. Since I was planning to upgrade to Me anyhow, I decided to forego the system maintenance and installed WinMe on a different HDD. Then, I copied the old drive's contents to the new drive (with the exception of the Windows folder). Everything works fine, with one exception. The Windows 95 splash screen started appearing on boot instead of the WinMe screen after I transferred the old drive's files and folders. I'm not sure how these splash screens get called, or what file was possibly overwritten. However, when I click Start, I see the Windows ME logo up the side of the menu buttons. And, it reads "Windows Me" on the System/General tab in Control Panel. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks guys!

"glee" wrote:

> That's interesting, because I have read reports of people using USB keyboard or
> mouse with OSR2.1, after installing the Win95-specific driver for the USB device.
>
> According to this article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbwin98.mspx
>
> "The HID class driver offers support for any HID-compliant device. The HID class
> driver is the basis for complete, built-in support for USB keyboards, mice, and game
> controllers (just plug them in and they work). In OSR 2.1, a one-off, unique,
> device-specific device must be provided for each input device plugged into a USB
> connector; this potentially compromises the interoperability of devices."
>
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Mr.Plop" <plop44@ugcwest.net> wrote in message news:cc1e4f055v@news2.newsguy.com...
> >
> > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > A usb keyboard will *not* work with Windows 95, any version. A usb
> > keyboard, mouse or joystick require the "human interface device"
> > (HID) device drivers, which are only present in Windows 98 or higher.
> > Don't waste your time trying to get it to work with Win95. The reason
> > it works in safe mode is that the BIOS support for the keyboard in
> > "real mode" carries over into safe mode, where no drivers are loaded.

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:00:06 AM

Delete or rename the file C:\Logo.sys....it is the bitmap image you see during boot.
--

> That IS surprising, because Microsoft's own USB site claims OSR2.1 is USB capable.
Nevertheless, I've spent too many days trying to get this to work. Since I was
planning to upgrade to Me anyhow, I decided to forego the system maintenance and
installed WinMe on a different HDD. Then, I copied the old drive's contents to the
new drive (with the exception of the Windows folder). Everything works fine, with
one exception. The Windows 95 splash screen started appearing on boot instead of the
WinMe screen after I transferred the old drive's files and folders. I'm not sure how
these splash screens get called, or what file was possibly overwritten. However,
when I click Start, I see the Windows ME logo up the side of the menu buttons. And,
it reads "Windows Me" on the System/General tab in Control Panel. Any ideas would be
helpful. Thanks guys!

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > That's interesting, because I have read reports of people using USB keyboard or
> > mouse with OSR2.1, after installing the Win95-specific driver for the USB
device.

> > According to this article:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbwin98.mspx
> >
> > "The HID class driver offers support for any HID-compliant device. The HID class
> > driver is the basis for complete, built-in support for USB keyboards, mice, and
game
> > controllers (just plug them in and they work). In OSR 2.1, a one-off, unique,
> > device-specific device must be provided for each input device plugged into a USB
> > connector; this potentially compromises the interoperability of devices."
> >
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Mr.Plop" <plop44@ugcwest.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > A usb keyboard will *not* work with Windows 95, any version. A usb
> > > keyboard, mouse or joystick require the "human interface device"
> > > (HID) device drivers, which are only present in Windows 98 or higher.
> > > Don't waste your time trying to get it to work with Win95. The reason
> > > it works in safe mode is that the BIOS support for the keyboard in
> > > "real mode" carries over into safe mode, where no drivers are loaded.

November 5, 2009 1:52:06 AM

Don't be so quick to believe them yet. I'm doing some research on my on for my recently inherited Windows 95 (withOUT USB ports) and, although there seems to be little hope, I'm starting to come across a few websites with people that may be able to help us. Here's a list of them, I'll add them as I discover them:

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html
email: lineback@toastytech.com

I need to find some more credible sources for some of the other ones first before I post them, but there are others. The one thing I seem to hear that no one seems to deny thus far is that YES, they will be somewhat difficult to find (I'd bet my life not IMPOSSIBLE though)! That's how confident I am, and no one's going to change that, not unless I see sufficient proof that there isn't one compatible Windows 95 USB HUB left on this PLANET!!!!

If you have ANY questions, comments, or concerns Robert, please fell free to email me back at:

inuyas_a@hotmail.com,

and I'll be happy to try to further assist the both of us. At least you have USB ports that you're trying to install on your 95, right. Remember, I don't even have any to install yet, so I have even more work ahead of me than you do. First I'll have to find a compatible one, then I'll be in the same shoes as you are, so to speak. I'm going to email them (above) and get back to you. Also, my 95 does NOT have Internet access. Do you think I could still find an Internet compatible card for Windows 95?
December 28, 2009 12:14:58 PM

all user of 95 98se me should check site below

www.mdgx.com

this site have sections for each windows operating system and contains solutions to many problems :bounce:
!