Is there a firewall that runs under Win95?

Is there a firewall which runs all right on Windows95b, and which can be
regularly updated?

Regards.

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a firewall which runs all right on Windows95b, and
which can be
> regularly updated?

ZoneAlarm may install. Or you could use a hardware firewall.

On Win95, I use Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15A
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a firewall which runs all right on Windows95b, and which can be
> regularly updated?
>
> Regards.

If you are looking for a firewall that has regular updates you may be
misunderstanding what a firewall does. Updates might be needed if there are
errors in the software or if new features are to be added, but a firewall is
not updated for new viruses or trojans like anti-virus software is. Most
importantly, you need to manage the firewall properly, and you still need
good anti-virus and anti-spyware/adware software. A firewall can reduce the
impact of these infections, especially as far as other internet users are
concerted, but it won't stop you getting infected in the first place unless
you configure and use the firewall correctly, you practice safe surfing, and
you keep your software updated.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:02:24 -0500, "Kay Archer" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a firewall which runs all right on Windows95b, and
>which can be
>> regularly updated?
>>

>ZoneAlarm may install. Or you could use a hardware firewall.

Version 2.6 will work.

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a firewall which runs all right on Windows95b, and which can be
> regularly updated?
>
> Regards.

Thank you all for those comments.

I was prompted to ask the question because the web site for Zone Alarm says
the product needs Win98SE or higher, and Norton Personal Firewall that I run
on a WinXP computer seems to have frequent updates available for download.
This latter lead me to believe there was a need to update firewalls – hence
my question.

I will try to learn more about what firewalls do, to better understand what
is needed.

Regards.

Cycle.

Sygate Personal Firewall,
Kerio firewall

--
Jukka

The newer versions of Kerio do not work on Win95.....have you tried?
Recent VxD files installed by Kerio are incompatible with most Win95 installations,
and freeze the machine.