How to Protect my PC

I have Windows 95. I need help in determining what I need
to do to protect my system. I don't know much about how
or what to do. Please help!

The most essential protection is an antivirus program. McAfee,
Symantec, eTrust, and others sell such programs. There are also a
couple of antivirus programs that are free --
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.free-av.com/

If you have an Internet service that has you connected to the Internet
continuously, you should have a firewall. A good free firewall is
ZoneAlarm
https://www.zonelabs.com/

You may want to avoid spyware, which is programs that sit in your
computer and report back to various companies about your behavior. A
free anti-spyware program is Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

You may also want to encrypt some of the information on your computer
so that no one can read it except you. A free encryption program is
EasyCrypto
http://www.handybits.com
However, the company that provides Easycrypto wants to put spyware on
your harddisk, so if you use EasyCrypto you must either reinstall it
each time you use it or you must tell Ad-Aware to leave the Teknum
spyware active.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There is a new version of Spybot Search and Destroy that
is a must to use.

It has a new feature. It monitors the system and informs
you if any program/virus wants to make changes to the
Registry, and allows you to forbid this.

Therefore, no illicit program will be able to set itself
up as a start-up program and hence can't run when Windows
boots up.

Get version 1.3 here: http://www.safer-networking.org/ and
don't forget to update it regularly using its update
feature.

The free StartUp Monitor from http://www.mlin.net/ does
the same.

Eric,