OVERCLOCK AMD 64fx53 socket 940

Thermal1

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Yea You FN prick I was asking how to do it because I am new to OCing and you want to clog up a forum with you smart ass comments when I was just asking how to do it PROPERLY! I thought this forum was for info and help!! Not some place for XXXHOLES like you.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
chillax..lol
first use a memory divider
and set htt to 3x
k ur multiplier is 12 i assume. so lower it to 10. then raise your fsb to 250
if it boots keep raising by incremints of 5. when it fails go back to last bootable fsb. that is your safe fsb. now put your multiplier back up to 12. and set fsb back to 200. keep jacking up the multiplier till it fails to boot. then go back to last bootable multi. thats your max cpu speed. now its up to u to find the right fsb x multi to attain the max cpu speed. keep in mind that your memory has to keep up. and add voltages to vcore and vdimm if u got the guts

lol my 3000+ is faster than yours haha lol. but u should be able to pawn me in oc.

Thermal1

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
OK I have my multiplter at a 13 2.6ghz ( 2.59) and it is ok until I play a game for a few sec and lock's up. Should I adjust any voltage?

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Excellent 'engrish' my friend and hats off to your grammar.

Just so you know, there IS an overclocking forum, if you look lower down on the list of forums on hardware. There would be more help there :D

BTW A proper OCing takes a good couple of weeks. Everytime you bump anything up, you have to burn it in (i.e. run Prime95) to get it to be stable.

Google is an excellent tool ;)

nkzamboni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I have that same board (Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940) with an Opteron 144. The combination of the Sledgehammer core and the ECC RAM makes overclocking a bit of a pain, but it is by no means impossible.

I am currently using the F3 BIOS, though there is an F4 BIOS that is in BETA. Because my Opteron is locked, FSB is my only choice to go up. However, I have heard reports that that changing the multiplier on this particular board can cause problems, so to cover all your bases, you should try both the multiplier and a higher FSB.

If you are changing the multiplier, no other bus speeds are affected, so other than adding a bit of voltage to the processor, nothing else should need adjusting.

When changing the FSB, you will need to account for the increased bus speed. Remember that because this is the old NForce3 Pro chipset, the default HTT is 3x (for 600Mhz, not 800 or 1000 like the newer versions). So, to overclock, set it lower (2.5x should be fine). You may also have to reduce the RAM to DDR333 so that when you overclock, it doesn't go too far above DDR400.

Remember, even though this board locks down the PCI and AGP busses, it DOES NOT lock down the onboard components. The biggest offender is the onboard Silicon Image SATA controller; it HATES high bus speeds, so disable it if you plan to raise the FSB above around 225. If you are using a SATA drive, buy a PCI controller for it ($20), and you'll be good to go.

Try overclocking with Gigabyte's Easytune4 utility, it tends to be stable at higher bus speeds than a BIOS overclock (I have no idea why....). And remember to hit Ctrl+F1 in the BIOS to access the hidden overclocking menu with memory and HTT settings.

Keep in mind the limitations of your processor. The FX-55 (2.6 Ghz) was the fastest AMD's 130nm chips ever went, so don't expect too much higher on air cooling (though 2.7 might be possible with water).

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Erm, if you have an FX all the upward multipliers are unlocked, so why bother increasing the FSB? :roll:

TRENDING THREADS