Service Pack 1 Mistakenly Installed

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I had a Dell OEM W95B system, then I installed Service
Pack 1. Now I have a w95A system. How can I get back to
my original OS?

"Henry" <hcharlton@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I had a Dell OEM W95B system, then I installed Service
> Pack 1. Now I have a w95A system. How can I get back to
> my original OS?

Reformat the drive and reinstall Win95b, or use the restore disk if one came
with the computer is about the only thing you can do. The service pack 1
that
you used is only for the retail version of Win95, not WIN95b.

I am not sure that you need to reformat the harddisk. Try reinstalling
Win95B on top of the current installation.

Furthermore, if a simple reinstall does not work, it should be
possible to reinstall Win95B in a new empty folder. The following
article explains how to install Windows into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

"Henry" <hcharlton@comcast.net> wrote:

>I had a Dell OEM W95B system, then I installed Service
>Pack 1. Now I have a w95A system. How can I get back to
>my original OS?

Reinstall your OSR2 overtop of the existing Windows.

See http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html for advice on
doing an upgrade install with an OEM version of Windows.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP