Problems accessing folders in Windows Explorer

August 22, 2004 3:10:18 PM

I have been having problems accessing folder contents in
windows explorer. These are usually images like
photographs and images created in Photoshop. Everytime I
open up WIndows EXplorer and go to the various sub-
folders to try and access the contents Windows Explorer
just kicks me out. The desk top displays the background
image then the desk top icons come back. Also this has
been happening in Photoshop when I try and access the
same images.

Has anyone come across this problem as I am sure I'm not
the only one.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who knows whats going
on and how to stop this happening.

Regards
Neil
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:16:53 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by it kicks you out.

Does your taskbar disappear, along with your desktop icons?

--
Kelli Zielinski
Please reply to the group

"Neil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been having problems accessing folder contents in
> windows explorer. These are usually images like
> photographs and images created in Photoshop. Everytime I
> open up WIndows EXplorer and go to the various sub-
> folders to try and access the contents Windows Explorer
> just kicks me out. The desk top displays the background
> image then the desk top icons come back. Also this has
> been happening in Photoshop when I try and access the
> same images.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem as I am sure I'm not
> the only one.
>
> Look forward to hearing from anyone who knows whats going
> on and how to stop this happening.
>
> Regards
> Neil
August 24, 2004 10:51:07 AM

Hi Kelli,

To answer your question - yes the task bar at the bottom
of my screen does disapear. When I say "kicks me out"
I mean that Windows Explorer just shuts down after giving
the option for whether I want an error report sent. So I
never get to access the contents of the sub-folder.

Can you help ?

Regards
Neil

confers no rights.

>"Neil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I have been having problems accessing folder contents in
>> windows explorer. These are usually images like
>> photographs and images created in Photoshop. Everytime
>> open up WIndows EXplorer and go to the various sub-
>> folders to try and access the contents Windows Explorer
>> just kicks me out. The desk top displays the background
>> image then the desk top icons come back. Also this has
>> been happening in Photoshop when I try and access the
>> same images.
>>
>> Has anyone come across this problem as I am sure I'm
not
>> the only one.
>>
>> Look forward to hearing from anyone who knows whats
going
>> on and how to stop this happening.
>>
>> Regards
>> Neil
>

>.

August 24, 2004 3:41:07 PM

It sounds like Explorer is outright crashing. We should be able to fix
this.

Is there an option to see the error report? Can you try booting into safe
mode and seeing if you can get to the folder there?

To boot into safe mode, you can press F8 while the machine is booting. It's
rather hard to know just when to push it, so I usually recommend just
pushing it a bit during boot until you get the Safe Mode menu. Any of the
Safe Mode options will suffice. This will allow us to see if it's something
else running on your machine that's doing it.

-Kelli

> Hi Kelli,
>
> To answer your question - yes the task bar at the bottom
> of my screen does disapear. When I say "kicks me out"
> I mean that Windows Explorer just shuts down after giving
> the option for whether I want an error report sent. So I
> never get to access the contents of the sub-folder.
>
> Can you help ?
>
> Regards
> Neil

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 6:18:29 AM

Hi Kelli,

Yeah I think your right and it is crashing and I have
done what you asked by trying to access the files in safe
mode but again it crashes out. The icons for the files
come up, which is more then they were doing out of safe
mode but when I try and open them windows crashes. I'm
not that good with computers but i did have a look at the
Error report, which didn't make any sense to me. But here
is some information from it :-

Error signature has the usual stuff then it goes on to
ERROR REPORT with EXCEPTION INFORMATION which includes
CODE:0xc0000005 then FLAGS:0x00000000 then
RECORD:0x0000000000000000 then ADDRESS:0x00000000773fc092

Then it goes to the section titled SYSTEM INFORMATION
then onto MODULE 1 upto MODULE 93 then THREADS 1 onto
wherever then at the bottom in another section it
mentions that the following information will be sent with
the report as well -
C/DOCUME~I\Nilesh\LOCALS~I\Temp|WER8.tmp.dir00
\appcompat.txt

Thats really all the information i am capable of giving
you and I hope it helps to solve this problem. I can tell
you that i have anti-virus software so there shouldn't be
a virus on the machine.

If there is any other information I can give you to help
come up with a solution then please let me know.

Look forward to your reply,
Cheers
Neil

and
>> confers no rights.
>>>
>>>"Neil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
in
Everytime
Explorer
background
has

>> not

>> going

>>>.
>>>

>.

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:12:13 PM

Do you know when this started happening? Might we be able to use System
Restore to take it back to a previous point, before the problem?

-Kelli

> Hi Kelli,
>
> Yeah I think your right and it is crashing and I have
> done what you asked by trying to access the files in safe
> mode but again it crashes out. The icons for the files
> come up, which is more then they were doing out of safe
> mode but when I try and open them windows crashes. I'm
> not that good with computers but i did have a look at the
> Error report, which didn't make any sense to me. But here
> is some information from it :-
>
> Error signature has the usual stuff then it goes on to
> ERROR REPORT with EXCEPTION INFORMATION which includes
> CODE:0xc0000005 then FLAGS:0x00000000 then
> RECORD:0x0000000000000000 then ADDRESS:0x00000000773fc092
>
> Then it goes to the section titled SYSTEM INFORMATION
> then onto MODULE 1 upto MODULE 93 then THREADS 1 onto
> wherever then at the bottom in another section it
> mentions that the following information will be sent with
> the report as well -
> C/DOCUME~I\Nilesh\LOCALS~I\Temp|WER8.tmp.dir00
> \appcompat.txt
>
> Thats really all the information i am capable of giving
> you and I hope it helps to solve this problem. I can tell
> you that i have anti-virus software so there shouldn't be
> a virus on the machine.
>
> If there is any other information I can give you to help
> come up with a solution then please let me know.
>
> Look forward to your reply,
> Cheers
> Neil

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:06:31 AM

Hi Kelli,

The first time I remember it happening was last year
around July. But it's not something that happens
regularly. It might be to do with the size of the images
in the sub-folders but I wouldn't think this would be a
problem for Explorer.

Any ideas ?

Would system restore affect any applications of data on
the hards drives ?

Cheers
Nilesh

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:38:46 PM

If it's been that long, we might just want to do an in-place reinstall.

This should preserve all applicatioms and data on your machine, but if you
can back it up to another partition, that certainly would be a wise idea.

Information is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Make sure to print this out before you start. You'll probably find Method 1
to be the best one. You might be safest to uninstall SP1 if you have it
installed and have that option, as well.

This is a solution I've done on my own machines before, and have had very
good success with. Let me know how it goes, or if you have any problems.

-Kelli

> Hi Kelli,
>
> The first time I remember it happening was last year
> around July. But it's not something that happens
> regularly. It might be to do with the size of the images
> in the sub-folders but I wouldn't think this would be a
> problem for Explorer.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Would system restore affect any applications of data on
> the hards drives ?
>
> Cheers
> Nilesh

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 8:55:55 AM

Hi Kelli,

I had a friend of mine looking into this issue as well
and he suggested since the problem occurs with viewing
Photoshop images to un-install this application and see
if I can access the problem folder. I did this and i
could but obviously couldn't view the photoshop files. SO
then he suggested re-installing Photoshop and see if I
could access the folder , guess what I can now and
Windows Explorer dosen't crash anymore. DOn't know
exactly what the problem was but it was to do with
Photoshop and by re0installing it it's been fixed. SO no
no need to do an in-place re-install.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your
time and help on this issue. If I have anymore problems I
will contact you. In the meantime thanks.

Regards
Nilesh

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:11:48 PM

This is VERY VERY good. I'll remember this in case this one comes up again,
thanks for the followup. I'm really glad that you've got it fixed, and I'll
keep this one in mind in the bag of tricks should I come across it again.
Great! :)

-Kelli

!