Help me upgrade Internet Explorer 4.7 to 5

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 5, 2004 11:00:01 AM

Windows 95 crashed (not unusual) but this time I had
to reinstall and now I only have Internet Explorer 4.7.

Many programs require IE version 5 and even
though I purchased version 5 CD from Microsoft
and I also have ie501.exe (65,188MB), and others,
none of them will install. That's because when I
run them, they automatically try to connect to a
Microsoft server and fail. I'm pretty sure that is
because Microsoft has decided not to support
Internet Explorer for Windows 95, and so I am left
feeling very frustrated and annoyed.

I had this machine hooked up to a DSL modem and I
could surf the web just as easily and fast as I could with
my Windows XP computer. Microsoft wants me to update
to XP, I'm sure, but I want to keep 95! It purrs and usually
gives me very few problems. I think Microsoft brings shame
on itself. Some individuals can't afford to continuously
upgrade, and already have a considerable investment in their
Windows 95 computer.

Does anyone know how to load IE5 or higher without
going to a Microsoft server first? I'm sure the
65,188MB file contains everything I need if only I knew
how to bypass the Microsoft server!

Before I dump Window 95 and install Linux instead,
does anyone know how I can bypass the server and
load IE 5?

I would be so grateful for your help.

Stan
July 5, 2004 1:11:37 PM