Sign in with
Your question

Spell or grammar check anyone?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2006 4:59:50 PM

UPDATE: More wonderful mistakes found.

Here is a small portion of the newest THWG headliner article ("The X1900 launch mania: Are you sold?"), with mistakes in bold (my notes in braces):

"...ATI has been very much aware of this, {needs conjunction or rw}their apprehension about a backlash from the media heightened by the fact that they know Nvidia has been quick to capitalise on the lack of actual Crossfire cards whilst{I'll forgive this as geekspeak} their SLI cards have become almost commonplace.

This time they have put units in the hands of retailers as well as journalists. So sceptical of "major product launches" we are{Yoda speaking? HMMM...skeptical of product launches we are, yes, MMM!} that Newegg.com sent Darren a picture from inside their warehouse showing open boxes {needs "which are" or "that are", or rw}filled with X1900's{no quotation mark needed, the X1900s do not own anything here}.

Thos doesn't mean however that panic buying{WTF is this?} won't ensue and {needs "that"}our news guru{commas?} Wolfgang Gruener reported that cards have been fetching upwards of $700 - between $50 and $100 above what you'd otherwise expect to pay. {anyone else able to read that sentence? OMG!}

Never the less the general consensus from the technology media is that ATI has pulled off a hard launch. It's perhaps shocking to those who do not follow the technology industry that we're devoting several paragraphs to seeing whether or not the product will be on shelves after launch, but welcome to the nut house{nuthouse}. {bad order of clauses, maybe write as "To those who do not follow the technology industry, it is perhaps shocking... "}

Anybody else as disappointed in THW as I am? This is inexcuseable! Haven't read the whole thing yet but my goodness!

More about : spell grammar check

January 26, 2006 6:24:11 PM

Well, I emailed THWG and guess what? They are fixing the problems as I am writing this. They emailed me a fast response, I have to give them credit for that...
January 26, 2006 7:09:46 PM

Quote:
HAHA, nice one, and yes, the review needs some spell checking, a fucking 5th grader can write a better review.

Go for it.
Related resources
January 26, 2006 7:28:44 PM

Quote:
HAHA, nice one, and yes, the review needs some spell checking, a fucking 5th grader can write a better review.

Go for it.
Alright, that's a bit harsh. I'll admit walking in here this evening and it did piss me off that instead of a discussion of the premise of the article I see somebody flaunting their English and doing a quick, smug-looking copy edit.

I've spoken to Wolfgang, the editor of TG Daily, and his take on it is pretty much the same as mine: Many, if not most, of the comments made about the article here are subjective. You could put a comma here or a semi-colon there, but really it's a matter of opinion and editorial style. Overall our consensus is that grammatically and so on, the article is sound; pedantic differences in opinion notwithstanding.

Therefore instead of discussing how you would have written the article from a purely technical English point of view, I think discussion should focus around the article content itself.

A general note on typo's however: You will see a lot more in online publications than in print, particularly magazines, for one reason: When we write an article it goes through editors and so on, but unlike with mags the period between finishing up the writing and publication of the article is a matter of days, not weeks. Therefore we let more cracks get through. At the same time however we can also change any glaring typos rather quickly and on the fly.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2006 8:00:09 PM

Until I see X1800XT for alot cheaper than X1900XT, my money would be on the latter one. I'd say for an owner of a X1800XT or 7800GTX, it makes little sense to upgrade to X1900. But for people like me who skipped X1800 and GF7, than the X1900XT (not XTX) looks to be a great option. They were being sold days before launch for $25+ under list price, and generally do a good job besting the 512MB GTX.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I am more sold on X1900 than X1800, because it offers more of a jump over my 6800U and X800XTpe. I think what did it for me was NV's little PR stunt, the 512MB GTX(as well as their hidden GF7 performance unlock) . Although rare and expensive, it took the wow out of X1800XT. But this same card, since it remained rare and expensive, adds to the X1900XT wow factor in my eyes. Generally quicker with eye candy turned on (apart form OGL), and available for under list price(before launch day even), $200+ under 7800GTX 512MB, and just $25 over the cheapest X1800XT at that time,... all makes X1900XT a winner in my eyes. At first I must admit I didn't get the reason for your article. But after thinking about it, I get it more. But my conclusion is different than yours; yes I am sold on X1900XT, and only X1800XT for $150+ lower would keep me from making X1900XT my high end choice now.
January 26, 2006 8:00:50 PM

"So sceptical of "major product launches" we are that Newegg.com sent Darren a picture from inside their warehouse showing open boxes filled with X1900's."

This is not a matter of opinion, the sentence is hard to follow and the word 'sceptical' is very misleading. I thought it ment skeptical but I see now I was wrong on that. Also the language is a little hard to follow in some cases, while most of the big errors were fixed like "Thos" instead of "Those" and such...
January 26, 2006 8:08:51 PM

Keep in mind these guys are German, and are translating german reviews into english.

English isn't their first language, give them some slack...
January 26, 2006 8:10:01 PM

Quote:
"So sceptical of "major product launches" we are that Newegg.com sent Darren a picture from inside their warehouse showing open boxes filled with X1900's."

This is not a matter of opinion, the sentence is hard to follow and the word 'sceptical' is very misleading. I thought it ment skeptical but I see now I was wrong on that. Also the language is a little hard to follow in some cases, while most of the big errors were fixed like "Thos" instead of "Those" and such...

Dictionary for sceptical

-They're one and the same, sceptical and skeptical. So much for high brow English. Skeptical is, if you'll check, the American way of spelling it. I'm not from the US, and so I use sceptical. It's a very minor localisation issue.

As myself and the editors I've spoken to all agree, most of the points you have raised are a matter of opinion. I think however that you came over as being very smug and superior in the thread, and that's what got me going moreso than any corrections or comments you have to make. As they say, presentation is everything.
January 26, 2006 8:11:20 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind these guys are German, and are translating german reviews into english.

English isn't their first language, give them some slack...

The article was written in original English. British English, to be utterly and pedantically precise.
January 26, 2006 8:26:13 PM

Ah well. Not as good then.

Bloody Brits and their crazy pedantics...
January 26, 2006 8:29:25 PM

Quote:
"As they say, presentation is everything."

Exactly why I presented this to the editors in a much more presentable fashion when I emailed them about it. BTW I read the sceptical definition before you replied (to ensure I wasn't just being an ignorant obnoxious loudmouth). It is different from the word 'skeptical' but in this case it alludes to almost the same meaning. Sceptical is generally used more to describe the way we store wastes...like "sceptic" tank. E.g., the sewers are very sceptical.

Again my presentation was a little harsh but I never intended to get response from the THWG team in this forum. Then again you guys kinda own it so maybe I should "cut some slack".
January 26, 2006 8:32:12 PM

Quote:
Ah well. Not as good then.

Bloody Brits and their crazy pedantics...

Careful--they did invent the language you know :lol:  :lol: 
January 26, 2006 8:37:54 PM

I should have know they were german form the 5ghz project music.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2006 8:43:51 PM

Quote:
Sceptical is generally used more to describe the way we store wastes...like "sceptic" tank

Huh :?:
January 26, 2006 8:50:56 PM

Nevermind. His dictionary clearly distinguishes, funny I had looked up a "World" dictionary that disagreed :) 
January 27, 2006 1:55:02 AM

Quote:
I should have know they were german form the 5ghz project music.

haha the good old techno euro stereotype.. lol
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2006 12:41:09 PM

Quote:

The article was written in original English. British English, to be utterly and pedantically precise.

OOooh pedantic, sw33t!

I thought I was the only one who used that around these parts, kinda like irony. :tongue: (reference to Steve Martin in Roxanne)

Priggish is another good one. :wink:

Anywhoooooo, I personally don't care about style as much as content, but considering the quality of the content seems to have suffered a little recently (still like the LCD reviews though) I guess people have become more critical of the other aspects now.

I'm dyslexic, and it shows in alot of my post, but I do go back and edit when I can (time, work, etc), spell/grammar check function here would be nice, but not as important as in a review.
I do understand holding reviewers (who have editors and spell/fact checkers) to a higher standard, but I would prefer seeing changes to factual errors (like those found in the 3D features article) rather than grammatical ones. We have a whole thread dedicated to that one, in just the opening paragraph has a few errors (the Radeon 8500 was the first to exploit PS1.4 in Morrowind, not the R9600. The GF4 and GF3 would be interchangeable since they don't support the PS1.4 found in Morrowind). There are so many more (mistakes regarding PS vs DX) that I would highly recommend checking the 'article' thread. I find it interesting that my e-mail about the facts of that post received no response, but that e-mails regarding the look and feel of the X1900 article got cosmetic changes. Once again I question priorities at THG.

While I appreciate the grammatical cleansing, I'd prefer updates to the content which has a more lasting impact to discussions and people's buying habits. Being the reviewers and potential archivists of technology through THG, I'd prefer the focus be on function over form.

Just my two frames' worth from the gorilla gallery.
January 27, 2006 12:58:58 PM

Regardless that your Brittish, it is still a good article, regardless of the sceptical/septical comments... more along the lines of what I want to see as a look on technology...
January 27, 2006 2:14:49 PM

Quote:
Regardless that your Brittish, it is still a good article, regardless of the sceptical/septical comments... more along the lines of what I want to see as a look on technology...

Well if you want more stuff like it looked at, drop me a line.
January 27, 2006 8:51:52 PM

You cold write that articles like thising but as longs as thats infos needed are theres thens the articles are their porpose fulfils.

IE, you got your info, you just needed to work a bit to do so. No harm, no foul.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2006 11:02:14 PM

Real nice on the anti-American comments. I see you are such the better man than him. Could you be so kind as to tell me where you are from so I will know how immature and hateful everyone in your country is? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
January 27, 2006 11:06:36 PM

What a bunch of racist bull!!!
January 27, 2006 11:10:47 PM

:roll: Too bad you didn't read all of my post..."when read you have, make fun of me you can."
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2006 11:12:09 PM

you got that right.
January 28, 2006 2:34:50 AM

You guys just wait until i find my swastika undies.
January 28, 2006 5:30:51 AM

Wow, I can't believe that this e-mail slid so far so fast over some spelling mistakes or some perceived ones.
Guys.....please relax and try to be a little more reserved in responding to things, its funny how easily people can be rude to others in written form and say things that they wouldn't normally say to a person in front of them.
January 28, 2006 12:05:20 PM

Pic please.

LOL
January 28, 2006 12:48:32 PM

My last post was in reply to rabidpeanut asking for pic of him in his swatztika underwear.
I hope their not the tonge type.

Finneus is right.
January 29, 2006 8:37:46 AM

I am most definetly NOT a racist, anyway a single race being supreme is bull, you need to mix all the races to get super humans, like when you get a pavemant special dog it is immune to EVERYTHING but when you get a pure bred it dies after being sneezed on. I left out a :)  in that last post.
!