internet explorer 5.00 on OLD ibm tp

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 6, 2004 7:02:10 AM

I have an IBM Tp that would not reboot due to an
exception error OD. I gave it to friend who got it to
reboot and gave it back.NOw I am missing IE 5.00 (
iNTERNET eXPLORER)that came with it . I have the shortcut
and the program icons but it does not open anything.If I
try to open the
explorer wizard I get a C:\Program Files|PLUS!Microsoft
Internet \INETwiz.exe error saying a device attached to
the system is not functioning.I hope everything else is
working I am eliminating problems one by one.In device
manager I have a conflict in ports "Generic IRDA
compatible device" and get a LOAD WC caused an exception
in module KERNAL 32 DLL.My friend said to disregard this
kernell message. Could that be stopping IE from working ?
I checked for IE in Files and do not see any application
for it.
Thx Peter P

More about : internet explorer ibm

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 11:19:29 AM

Peter, I have stopped replying due to your constantly starting as new thread with
every reply.

Reinstall IE, but get IE5.5 SP2, not IE5.0x
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peter P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an IBM Tp that would not reboot due to an
> exception error OD. I gave it to friend who got it to
> reboot and gave it back.NOw I am missing IE 5.00 (
> iNTERNET eXPLORER)that came with it . I have the shortcut
> and the program icons but it does not open anything.If I
> try to open the
> explorer wizard I get a C:\Program Files|PLUS!Microsoft
> Internet \INETwiz.exe error saying a device attached to
> the system is not functioning.I hope everything else is
> working I am eliminating problems one by one.In device
> manager I have a conflict in ports "Generic IRDA
> compatible device" and get a LOAD WC caused an exception
> in module KERNAL 32 DLL.My friend said to disregard this
> kernell message. Could that be stopping IE from working ?
> I checked for IE in Files and do not see any application
> for it.
> Thx Peter P
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 11:19:30 AM

Sorry about that I didnt see the reply option and posted
as new thread . I am newbie
THX

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:55:50 AM

No problem....I just can't keep track of what's happening when it jumps to a new
post all the time.
It sounds like you originally had Plus! installed, and that was what installed your
original IE. The browser may be missing now, but the shortcuts remain. I would
remove the non-working shortcuts, and do an install of IE 5.5 SP2, either from the
link I gave you, or from a CD if you have it on one.
--

> Sorry about that I didnt see the reply option and posted
> as new thread . I am newbie
> THX

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:34:14 AM

Can I dload the program to my Toshiba and install on a
CD? I have the original IBM recovery disks and CD that my
friend gave me but he says he got it rebooted without
using them . Instead he rebooted with the boot disk I
made from bootdisk.com.
I have not seen my friend and he still has my
modem .He may do it for me if he has time, but I am
asking just in case he does not. I cannot access the web
on the IBM without a browser, and as he still has my
modem that is moot!
Do you think the conflict in the IRDA compatible device
means anything ?
Sorry for taking so much of your time, but I am sorta
learning a lot and getting a better understanding of how
puters work
Thanks again Peter

July 8, 2004 1:53:04 AM

You can download it to your Toshiba and burn it to a CD afterward (assuming you have
a CD burner in the Toshiba). The download is very large....~84 MB
http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP...

The IRDA device is your infra-red port. It should be looked into after you get the
browser and other items working. Exactly what do you see, and where, re: the IRDA
conflict?
--

> Can I dload the program to my Toshiba and install on a
> CD? I have the original IBM recovery disks and CD that my
> friend gave me but he says he got it rebooted without
> using them . Instead he rebooted with the boot disk I
> made from bootdisk.com.
> I have not seen my friend and he still has my
> modem .He may do it for me if he has time, but I am
> asking just in case he does not. I cannot access the web
> on the IBM without a browser, and as he still has my
> modem that is moot!
> Do you think the conflict in the IRDA compatible device
> means anything ?
> Sorry for taking so much of your time, but I am sorta
> learning a lot and getting a better understanding of how
> puters work
> Thanks again Peter

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 8:59:35 AM

Hi Glee ,
I see a yellow Icon with a red line thru it in Device
manager under ports and it identifies it as an IRDA
compatible device and says it is not working properly. My
friend has picked the IBM up so what I am telling you is
from memory.It may have a code on it which I will give
you when I get it back.
He is going to play with it over the weekend, I have
copied all your suggestions and emailed them to him .
Tmrw I am going to the Island of Hydra for long weekend.
Want me to have Scotty beam you down :)
Thx Again Peter P
PS MY Toshiba is a P4 2.8 laptop with cd read/write and
dvd read only

ie55sp2.exe

>The IRDA device is your infra-red port. It should be
looked into after you get the
>browser and other items working. Exactly what do you
see, and where, re: the IRDA
>conflict?
>--
>Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

>"Peter P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Can I dload the program to my Toshiba and install on a
>> CD? I have the original IBM recovery disks and CD that
my
>> friend gave me but he says he got it rebooted without
>> using them . Instead he rebooted with the boot disk I
>> made from bootdisk.com.
>> I have not seen my friend and he still has my
>> modem .He may do it for me if he has time, but I am
>> asking just in case he does not. I cannot access the
web
>> on the IBM without a browser, and as he still has my
>> modem that is moot!
>> Do you think the conflict in the IRDA compatible
device
>> means anything ?
>> Sorry for taking so much of your time, but I am sorta
>> learning a lot and getting a better understanding of
how
>> puters work
>> Thanks again Peter

Anonymous
July 10, 2004 2:18:42 AM

Mykonos, Hydra.....do we ever work? ;-)

> Hi Glee ,
> I see a yellow Icon with a red line thru it in Device
> manager under ports and it identifies it as an IRDA
> compatible device and says it is not working properly. My
> friend has picked the IBM up so what I am telling you is
> from memory.It may have a code on it which I will give
> you when I get it back.
> He is going to play with it over the weekend, I have
> copied all your suggestions and emailed them to him .
> Tmrw I am going to the Island of Hydra for long weekend.
> Want me to have Scotty beam you down :)
> Thx Again Peter P
> PS MY Toshiba is a P4 2.8 laptop with cd read/write and
> dvd read only

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:55:07 PM

Back from Hydra and so far no news from my friend.
You are not off the hook yet :)
I will be coming back to the States in 2 weeks and then
its back to business. (I hope)
Peter :)

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 7:35:20 AM

HI Glee, Mt friend used the ISP provider ( OTE NET )cd
rom and installed I.E. 5.00 on the TPAD. He said it is
working fine now . The yellow Icon with a red line thru
it (in Device
manager) under ports and identified it as an IRDA
compatible device, does not seem to be causing a problem.
Do you think I should leave well enough alone as I am
not intending to network or connect a Palm pilot etc . My
fiance will be using it primarily for Email and Net
surfing .

Thanks again for all your time
Fondly Peter P
P.S. do you fellows help on XP issues also or is there
another site for that ? :)

MY friend has picked the IBM up .He is going to play

/
>ie55sp2.exe
>>
>>The IRDA device is your infra-red port. It should be
>looked into after you get the
>>browser and other items working. Exactly what do you
>see, and where, re: the IRDA
>>conflict?
>>--
>>Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>>"Peter P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
>message
>>> Can I dload the program to my Toshiba and install on a
>>> CD? I have the original IBM recovery disks and CD
that
>my
>>> friend gave me but he says he got it rebooted without
>>> using them . Instead he rebooted with the boot disk I
>>> made from bootdisk.com.
>>> I have not seen my friend and he still has my
>>> modem .He may do it for me if he has time, but I am
>>> asking just in case he does not. I cannot access the
>web
>>> on the IBM without a browser, and as he still has my
>>> modem that is moot!
>>> Do you think the conflict in the IRDA compatible
>device
>>> means anything ?
>>> Sorry for taking so much of your time, but I am
sorta
>>> learning a lot and getting a better understanding of
>how
>>> puters work
>>> Thanks again Peter

July 16, 2004 3:01:00 PM

> HI Glee, Mt friend used the ISP provider ( OTE NET )cd
> rom and installed I.E. 5.00 on the TPAD. He said it is
> working fine now . The yellow Icon with a red line thru
> it (in Device
> manager) under ports and identified it as an IRDA
> compatible device, does not seem to be causing a problem.
> Do you think I should leave well enough alone as I am
> not intending to network or connect a Palm pilot etc . My
> fiance will be using it primarily for Email and Net
> surfing .
>
> Thanks again for all your time
> Fondly Peter P
> P.S. do you fellows help on XP issues also or is there
> another site for that ? :)

lots of XP NG's look for microsoft.public.windowsXP. ***

or have a look around here
http://www.aumha.org/index.php
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 2:40:29 AM

IE5.0 has too many secuity holes to be safe, Peter.
You really should upgrade it to IE5.5 SP2:
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2

If the IrDA device has a red line through it, it may simply be disabled in Device
Manager....if you are not using it, it should not matter. What does it say when you
select it, click the Properties button , and look at the info on the General tab>
Device Status?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peter P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI Glee, Mt friend used the ISP provider ( OTE NET )cd
> rom and installed I.E. 5.00 on the TPAD. He said it is
> working fine now . The yellow Icon with a red line thru
> it (in Device
> manager) under ports and identified it as an IRDA
> compatible device, does not seem to be causing a problem.
> Do you think I should leave well enough alone as I am
> not intending to network or connect a Palm pilot etc . My
> fiance will be using it primarily for Email and Net
> surfing .
>
> Thanks again for all your time
> Fondly Peter P
> P.S. do you fellows help on XP issues also or is there
> another site for that ? :)

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:59:18 AM

Hi Glee,
Finally got the old IBM back and thx God its working .
My friend installed I.E. 5.5 not sure which version but
it seems to be A-OK. In regards to the IRDA compatible
device : I find it in >System>device manager>Ports and
the Device is: disabled Code 22. I do not believe it
affects anything and this may be the default for it .
Thank you for all your help and patience Peter P
P. S. Coming back to the states Sunday

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:07:04 AM

Sounds like things are working, then....good to hear it. Is it my turn to visit the
Greek isles now??
--

> Hi Glee,
> Finally got the old IBM back and thx God its working .
> My friend installed I.E. 5.5 not sure which version but
> it seems to be A-OK. In regards to the IRDA compatible
> device : I find it in >System>device manager>Ports and
> the Device is: disabled Code 22. I do not believe it
> affects anything and this may be the default for it .
> Thank you for all your help and patience Peter P
> P. S. Coming back to the states Sunday

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:10:04 PM

I am back in NYC now . Want to visit Manhattan Isle
dinner is on me . Or when I get back to Greece dinner is
on me . Sorry cant afford the plane fare though :)
Peter P

!